Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.12 Snapshots losing Variax Model Selections

Geeman

Has anyone had problems, in 2.12, with Snapshots losing all your Variax Model selections?  For my patches that use snapshots, I noticed my Variax models were all set to "Don't Force", where I'd previously had models stored there.  I could simply set the model back to what I had and re-save the patch but the problem is, I don't remember many of the models I used!

After reverting back to 2.10, all my snapshots with their Variax models are intact.  Very strange issue.

Now, I did skip 2.11 altogether and went from 2.10 to 2.12.  But I've done this before with other firmware updates and didn't have any problems.  Could this cause any issues?

I should also mention that I had numerous problems with this install where I'd never had any issues with past updates.  For instance, the first time through, Helix had restarted and was rebuilding presets when it froze.  After trying to turn it on/off again I finally had to do the power-on reset (holding down 9 & 10).  Also, one particular patch would cause Helix to lock up when I would cycle through some of the snapshots.

When it was all said and done, I must've reinstalled 2.12 four or five times before giving up.

After resetting the globals, make sure you edit one of the preset Input blocks to change the Variax setting from the default Global to Preset. This should restore your preset-specific Variax settings.

Thanks silverhead, I did this step also.  Still kept losing the Variax models.  I did notice through all of this that on one of my patches that doesn't use snapshots, I setup a stomp-style switch to change multiple items, one of them being to change Variax models.  That still worked fine.  It seemed to be only patches with snapshots that didn't.

jaminjimlp I'm not very knowledgeable on computer debugging.  Should I consider this worthy of posting in the bug thread if I'm the only one, so far, having this issue?  Your issue sounds different from mine.

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the VDI cable at both ends. That fixed some post-update Variax issues I was having at one time. In future I am going to disconnect the VDI cable during updates.

Did not think of that.  Will try it and let you know.  Thanks!

Did not think of that.  Will try it and let you know.  Thank

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the VDI cable at both ends. That fixed some post-update Variax issues I was having at one time. In future I am going to disconnect the VDI cable during updates.

silverhead, tried your suggestion to remove VDI cable but, still no luck.  I'll just have to do it the old fashion way and write down all the model changes I make, then go back to version 2.12 and manually enter them and re-save the patches.  But thanks for the help!

The update went smoothly, but I also saw the loss of Variax model assignments where I used snapshots to change models and tunings. On patches where I had a static model and tuning activate, it worked fine. Just the snapshot JTV model changes were messed up. I have only a few of those, and once I set them back up, and saved, they worked fine. I'm going to save one of those presets back to the pc and reload it into another slot to see if the new FW version of the preset comes back properly. If not, it's probably a bug that needs to be corrected.

Dave

• Upvote 1

The update went smoothly, but I also saw the loss of Variax model assignments where I used snapshots to change models and tunings. On patches where I had a static model and tuning activate, it worked fine. Just the snapshot JTV model changes were messed up. I have only a few of those, and once I set them back up, and saved, they worked fine. I'm going to save one of those presets back to the pc and reload it into another slot to see if the new FW version of the preset comes back properly. If not, it's probably a bug that needs to be corrected.

Dave

Dave this is exactly my experience, well my first few attempts to update didn't go smoothly, but the rest is same as yours.  I will try your test also and I'll let you know what results i get.

Okay, saved two of the fixed presets with model & tuning switched by snapshots to my PC, then loaded those 2 into my "test bench" set list to a couple of empty slots. Tried them and the JTV model switching and tuning parameters would not switch. I then went back to my regular set list and copied those 2 presets directly to the test bench without going through the Helix Editor, and they worked fine when tested. So, copying within the Helix is successful with all parameters, states, and functions intact, but the transfer out to the backup file on the PC or input back from the PC boogers the preset snapshot variax parameter changes.

I'm guessing the bug may be in the Helix Editor transfer process, not saving the parameters right, or the file preset format is needing revision to include the correct data.

Doing the 2.12 FW update, I saved and loaded using set lists (as I have with all the FW updates). In this test, I saved and loaded single presets, and it messed up either way, but only on presets with Variax snapshot switching. The other presets with one variax model and tuning not affected by snapshots all kept their proper settings.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Same behaviour for me updating to 2.12. Don't know if it was there in past updates - didn't notice one way or the other. I just tested with one specific preset but assume it's a general issue. The preset used the snapshot controller for Variax model selections. Pre-update it worked fine. Post-update the controller was still defined but all values were changed to [Don't Force]; the previous values were lost during the update process.

I will update the Helix Bug thread to include this bug (if it's not already mentioned there). I also suggest that anyone who experiences this issue open a support ticket. That will ensure that Line 6 gains insight into the number of people affected for their prioritizing purposes.

• Upvote 1

Same behaviour for me updating to 2.12. Don't know if it was there in past updates - didn't notice one way or the other. I just tested with one specific preset but assume it's a general issue. The preset used the snapshot controller for Variax model selections. Pre-update it worked fine. Post-update the controller was still defined but all values were changed to [Don't Force]; the previous values were lost during the update process.

I will update the Helix Bug thread to include this bug (if it's not already mentioned there). I also suggest that anyone who experiences this issue open a support ticket. That will ensure that Line 6 gains insight into the number of people affected for their prioritizing purposes.

I've been out of touch for a day or so but, yes, I too will open a support ticket and post in the bug topic after this weekend.   I'm not sure how this happened but when I restored to ver. 2.10, one of the echo blocks in one particular patch was wayyyyy off.  So much so that the Mix parameter was set at 450%!!!  I had to restore a backup from November 2015.  Thankfully I had backed up individual presets too and not just the set lists.  Wow.

I got a response today from the support ticket I opened on this. Here's what Line 6 said:

"....we are aware of the bug and it will be fixed in the next update....."

Thank you for taking such quick action and sharing with us!

Agree with the comment in another thread that the frequency of upgrade glitches lately is disappointing. Love it when they fix bugs or add features, but they've got to get the basics right too, and not break stuff.

At minimum, I'd say there's some weakness in their upgrade testing process. Bugs users find in day ideally should get discovered before release.

Many of the bugs seem to be associated with the patch rebuilding process. It seems that when the patch meta-model changes (i.e., there are new parameters added), the migration of patches on import or patch rebuild is not migrating the patches properly. This is a typical area for problems in digital systems - install, update, and data migration. 

I think DI has indicated there will be some major changes in the Helix upgrade process in 2017, hopefully eliminating the need to do factory reset and restore all patches and IRs on future updates. If that is the case, it might explain why some for the bugs are filtering through the 2.x releases as the development team may be focused on what's next.

• Upvote 1

Upgraded the firmware in my Blackstar ID:60 this morning. I installed the new editor, connected the amp, it told me there was new firmware available, with a button to install it. Hit the button, waited, done.

Zero reloading, rebuilding, or manual resetting, just done. The site suggests that you back up first, but I didn't need that backup in the end.