Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to Control 2 or more Spyder IV heads or amps with one FBV Express MKII

ptardie

Greetings! A little while ago a stumbled across a series of postings that focused on how to control 2 or more Spyder IVs from one FBV MKII. Several of the entries discussed the use of a RJ45 Y Telco T splitter used in the telecom industry. Several links had missing pictures and some broken links. I am writing to all of you to see if you would be willing to provide me with the information on how to do this and with what components. I have a gig coming up this Friday and would like to give this a whirl. I would sincerely appreciate any or all assistance you may be able to provide. THANK YOU! -peter

From the Knowledge Base---   http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/fbv-mki-mkii-controllers/fbvshortboardexpressfbv2-mk-i-and-ii-fbv-3-r506  

Q: Can I use a CAT-5 data splitter from my Line 6 unit(s) to run multiple FBV controllers on stage (or run multiple Line 6 units from a single controller)?
A: No, The FBV controller was designed to work on its own with a single amplifier. If you feel this is a feature you would want to implement, please submit a feature request.

Each amp has a supply line voltage for powering FBV controllers. The over-voltage going to the FBV would wipe the program, or damage the FBV pedal, the FBV circuit in the amp or both.

So please don't do that.

Yes, you actually can control two Spider 2, 3, 4, Valve, Flextone III XL or POD XT bean from an FBV....I did the mod. There was a thread here years ago with pictures and everything...basically, you have to split it and only connect the tx to tx...basically, one amp becomes a unsynchronized slave....You can do some crazy patch offset stuff and the FX buttons can do quite a lot as long as you spend some time on the patches. This is not really a practical setup as it was never designed to do this...It just serial communication over RJ45 with DC power...I will try to find that post as I put in a PDF a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello to all that posted...thank you for taking the time to post your comments---I really appreciate it, again, thank you.  To Spaceatl, a special thank you, and I look forward to your findings.  To fflbrgst, understood and I guess a shame.  To psarkissan, thank you and understood, I will proceed with caution.  I do want to say, it would seriously be cool to do this.  I have several Line 6 Spyder IVs that I adore, and what I have done in the past is to arrange them around the stage at the venue (in addition to micing), and they truly sound amazing together in unison--they really do.  Speaking as a hopefully valued customer, Line 6 may want to consider developing this option/capability going forward for any or all amplifier products, it may increase overall flexibility and assist in further showcasing cool stage dynamics these amps can provide---for which undoubtedly I would continue to purchase.  Again, thank you.  I look forward to all of your continued remarks.  -peter

The way around it, of course, is to use the 2nd amp as a power slave only - take the audio out from the main amp, and feed it to the MP3 input of the slave.  OF course, the problem with Line 6 amps is when you use the DI output, it automatically cuts out the speaker output!

fflbrgst, that's an interesting thought...yeah, that's true.  Too bad this capability and/or flexibility was not considered in the design process.  Hopefully, we all can develop a solution, distill it, and make it available to others.  I know many folks that would love to do this.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...