Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone tweaking tip

jbright44

So with all the flexibility in the Helix I'm refining my work flow and processes every time I sit down to dial in sounds and "breaking old habits" from when I used to be an analog guy. I'm primarily playing p&w at my church so that's where I'm coming from musically.

One thing I discovered that's made my life so much easier when it comes to dialing in just the right sound is the following. I used to play and tweak and play and tweak and drop in fx and play and adjust amp and cab and play to get the right sound. Now what I've started doing is dropping in a looper block first in the chain when I'm building out a new patch for a new song. I record the part for the song patch I'm creating (chorus, verse or whatever) and just let it loop. While it's looping I can go to the editor and tweak away in "real time" sort of like a crude re-amping workflow. Once I've got it like I want it, I can move on to the next section of the song, switch to the next snap shot and repeat.

This has made my work flow so much more efficient and given me the flexibility go try more new things on the fly kind of in real time vs the play/listen/stop/tweak/play work flow I'm used to with my analog gear.

I just thought I'd share that little bit in hopes it's helpful to someone else. I feel like every time is sit down with this thing I learn something new!

• Upvote 5

It's also the best method I found to hear how the different Amp+Cab Block models and Amp, PreAmps, and Cab Block models interplay. Assigning the Blocks to a footswitch Bypass allows for sequential isolating the Blocks you want hear as compared to those you wish to Bypass.