Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I've never understood this...

357mag

I have a HD Pro X and I've noticed this thing: Let's say I download a Malmsteen preset from Custom Tone. I load it into my POD and I'm looking at the settings in  HD Pro Edit. Now it's using the Park 75. I look at the Amp Settings and the Master is turned completely off (all the way counter-clockwise).

So I'm thinking the Master Volume on the amp is shut off completely.

Okay, so I turn the Master all the way to the right so it's full on.

But there is absolutely no difference in volume at all. The volume has not changed one bit from having the know fully counter-clockwise to full clockwise.

What am I not understanding about this?

Are you talking about the DEP Master? That isn't a volume control. That models how hard the power amp (Master) section is getting hit. The JCM800 demostrates what it does pretty good. Rather than hear volume increase, what happen is you get more power section saturation. On the JCM800 model it sound like total crap when the master is cranked....Some call it fizz, others will be frustrated that they just can't get the tone focused enough. The two best DEP controls for getting out fizz are the Master and the RES cab parameter...RES is at 0% on nearly all of my patches...Master varies a bit model to model...On some models, more master helps...on others it detracts...However, it is a fairly subtle thing as it is not a volume control.

Here's the bit from the manual.

Amp Edit - Page 2
Page 2 offers three options that affect the power amp characteristics of your Amp Model.

• Knob 1: Use this Master Volume to adjust the amount of power amp distortion.
     This parameter is highly interactive with all other power amp parameters - the lower the Master is set, the less effect the other controls will have.
• Knob 2: Setting the Sag to minimum offers a “tighter†responsiveness, and turning clockwise provides more “touch†dynamics & sustain.
• Knob 3: Controls how much heater hum & AC ripple interacts with your tone.
      At the maximum setting things get really freaky.

only a guess, that your sync with EDIT not working correctly. For example you have to select the patch in Edit

so the HD will synchronize with it or what is in the HD hasnt been loaded into EDIT. Or after tweaking not sending the patch to

EDIT to save it in the HD. Only guessing.

Could be what spacatl is suggesting;that the master you are referring to is the 

DEP master

Are you talking about the DEP Master? That isn't a volume control. That models how hard the power amp (Master) section is getting hit. The JCM800 demostrates what it does pretty good. Rather than hear volume increase, what happen is you get more power section saturation. On the JCM800 model it sound like total crap when the master is cranked....Some call it fizz, others will be frustrated that they just can't get the tone focused enough. The two best DEP controls for getting out fizz are the Master and the RES cab parameter...RES is at 0% on nearly all of my patches...Master varies a bit model to model...On some models, more master helps...on others it detracts...However, it is a fairly subtle thing as it is not a volume control.

Here's the bit from the manual.

Amp Edit - Page 2
Page 2 offers three options that affect the power amp characteristics of your Amp Model.

• Knob 1: Use this Master Volume to adjust the amount of power amp distortion.
     This parameter is highly interactive with all other power amp parameters - the lower the Master is set, the less effect the other controls will have.
• Knob 2: Setting the Sag to minimum offers a “tighter†responsiveness, and turning clockwise provides more “touch†dynamics & sustain.
• Knob 3: Controls how much heater hum & AC ripple interacts with your tone.
      At the maximum setting things get really freaky.

SpaceATL -- awesome response.  I've been cranking Master to full on everything -- gotta start over as far as that goes.

As an aside, combining the AC30 full amp with the Brit 2204 from the metal pack gets me into Nirvana.  I'll have to look at what mic/cab combos I'm using but lately it's been:

Tread V-30 4x12 57 on axis   Uber 4x12 409 Dynamic  

"Great for thick vintage 30 tone with great mids - like a real Mesa cab with V30's - modern sounding but not too bright or harsh. Great for rhythms and leads."

From:   http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/cabsMics#dualCab-faves

Coolio, glad that that helped...That "Ah-ha" moment is pretty cool when those deeper tweaks start paying off.

That Master DEP is one of the Achilles heals of the HD PODs in that the master defaults seem to be just a wee bit too much in a lot of cases....There is a lot of power in the DEPs to get the amp model focused in on operating behavior you are looking for in a tone...The other cab DEP is the RES LVL. Basically, sort of a modeled break-up parameter is how I think of it...Seems like the cabs nearly always sound better with that one at 0% or at a lower than default level depending on what the tone target/cab/mic etc....All that stuff is so interactive that it is pretty easy to get into a mess.

On the old XT hardware, I was basically stuck to using the SM57 off-axis mic model for just about everything. It really was the best mic in the bunch for me at that time. With the HD, the 409 basically took it's place. I probably use that mic on 80% of my patches. I really don't like the off-axis 57 in HD all that much...I guess it might have just been the lack of the 409 that  I was missing. lol!