Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

need to restore V600 to factory presets

just received my 600, and i am totally blown away -- only problem is after messing with it for a while, i realize that the po (i got it from guitar center, so no contact with po) customized about half of the preset models(not just the 2 "custom" banks) -- its ok cause i think he/she did a great job, put in some incredible models, including a bunch of alternate tunings -- but for instance, i'm missing all the "special" models, and numerous other ones have been altered -- i think the ones that are there are all where they're supposed to be, so its not that problem i read about where models are in the wrong locations, or randomly changing their locations -- so this 600 came with the xps-ab for power, but am i now supposed to buy that usb interface in order to use workbench and restore the factory presets?

.. but am i now supposed to buy that usb interface in order to use workbench and restore the factory presets?

Yes you will need to purchase the original Workbench product (not Workbench HD) including the hardware interface. The early Variax models, including the V600, did not come bundled with a license for the Workbench software, nor did the Variax purchase include the Workbench hardware interface. Workbench was, and remains, a separate purchase. Note that all you actually need is the hardware interface device; anyone can download the software for free. You may find a used device on eBay or some other online source. The Line 6 online store carries it at full price.

Beginning with the JTV Variax things changed. A Workbench license, along with the hardware interface, was included with the JTV purchase.

EDIT: I should also mention that older Line 6 POD devices that support Variax guitars like the XT, X3, and HD500/Pro (not the 500X/ProX) will also work as a Workbench hardware interface device. If you have one of those you are already good to go with Workbench.

thanks, silverhead -- (and hello, i live near kingston, ontario part of the year) -- this 600 is on trial, i love the sounds, and the guitar, but may be returning it, due to my concerns re: availability of parts -- would a new standard also come with the usb interface? -- the 600 really was a good deal, almost mint condition, with the xps-ab, all for 299, but i hadn't factored in the cost of an interface, i will need to decide at some point whether to buy the usb interface and keep the 600, or put the 399 that i would then have spent towards the purchase of a new standard

just received my 600, and i am totally blown away -- only problem is after messing with it for a while, i realize that the po (i got it from guitar center, so no contact with po) customized about half of the preset models(not just the 2 "custom" banks) -- its ok cause i think he/she did a great job, put in some incredible models, including a bunch of alternate tunings -- but for instance, i'm missing all the "special" models, and numerous other ones have been altered -- i think the ones that are there are all where they're supposed to be, so its not that problem i read about where models are in the wrong locations, or randomly changing their locations -- so this 600 came with the xps-ab for power, but am i now supposed to buy that usb interface in order to use workbench and restore the factory presets?

You don't mention whether or not you have a Pod HD500 to connect it to. If you have this, or intend to buy one, it allows a couple of important things to happen, and are worth noting...

Firstly, you can connect to Workbench through the Pod HD500, facilitating a backup of the "user" patches, and or movement to other (more suitable?) positions on the guitar.

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, you can simply leave the "user" patches wherever they are, and still have access to all the factory patches, as well as all the "user" patches which have been loaded in place of the factory patches. Confusing? In setting up patches in the Pod, you can choose to "force" selection of ANY variax patch (factory OR user), within that Pod patch i.e. the Special patches are actually still in the Variax, but you can't select them on the guitar itself, as they've been overwritten, they are only available by setting up a patch on the Pod to force the Variax to select a factory patch, which has been overwritten on the variax. I hope that makes sense....

very enlightening -- i don't have the hd500, but i will have a used  pod xt live, arriving tomorrow -- however, i have found that although i can play on a strat-style neck, i really miss the gibson style, which is what i've played for many years, so i'm returning the 600 to gc, and have a jtv-59 coming from them to try out -- however, wanting to keep the price down a bit, i will also be returning the new jtv, and assuming all goes well, i'll be looking for a used one -- i will keep the xt live to use with the jtv

the big plus of the 600 for me was having the tele sounds, which i just love -- even with a coil tap on my les paul style guitar, i can't get true tele or strat sounds, due to the scale length -- but i have read on this forum that with the jtv59, you still get the tele/strat sound, even if it may involve some tweeking -- and i'm totally sold on using the workbench software to modify things as needed, as opposed to my never ending swapping of pickups, in search of the "perfect" tone

The Pod xt and the JTV are not compatible in terms of Workbench. The XT works with the original Workbench while the JTV requires Workbench HD. The XT does not work as an interface device for Workbench HD.

So the unofficial explanation goes like this....

A line was arbitrarily drawn in the sand of confusion back in the day, by the janitor who worked at Line 6 for a couple of days. One day he was there, the next, nobody even remembered him being there. Management at Line 6 had no idea why the line suddenly appeared in the sand of confusion, but they knew it's sudden, and mysterious appearance was of some significance. Thus they held a meeting, and the subsequent management decision made, regarding this line in the sand, was that certain devices were on one side, and other devices were on the other....

So, officially, the latter variaxes, (JTV, Standard, Shuriken), WILL ONLY PLAY with Helix, and Pod HD500X, specifically with regard to connecting to Workbench HD.

The legacy variaxes WILL ONLY PLAY with Pod HD 500, Pod X3, Pod XT, specifically with regard to connecting to Workbench.

Have a nice day in the sandpit!

As far as Workbench goes,....

Original Variax (300, 500, 600, 700) uses Workbench.

JTV's with Flash version before v2.00 can use Workbench, v2.00 or later have to use Workbench HD.

Standards and Shurikens can't be rolled back prior to v2.00, so they are strictly Workbench HD.

as far as playing thru goes,...

I have an X3 Live at my bench I use to test and check original Variax (300, 500, 600, 700), JTV, Standard

and Shuriken, and all run fine.

XT Live,... anything up to a JTV, as I've not tried Standards or Shurikens on anything earlier than an X3 Live yet.

"... WILL ONLY PLAY with Pod HD 500, Pod X3, Pod XT"--- don't mean to sound particular, but to clarify,

it's the "Live" floor effects versions of the afore mentioned that you can play thru. Basically, if it has a VDI

(Variax Digital Interface) connector, it's for playing Variaxes thru it. And use the VDI cable with the Canon XLR

type shells on both ends. Tighter connection, less jiggle, less electronic transients to damage internal circuits.

As far as Workbench goes,....

Original Variax (300, 500, 600, 700) uses Workbench.

JTV's with Flash version before v2.00 can use Workbench, v2.00 or later have to use Workbench HD.

Standards and Shurikens can't be rolled back prior to v2.00, so they are strictly Workbench HD.

as far as playing thru goes,...

I have an X3 Live at my bench I use to test and check original Variax (300, 500, 600, 700), JTV, Standard

and Shuriken, and all run fine.

XT Live,... anything up to a JTV, as I've not tried Standards or Shurikens on anything earlier than an X3 Live yet.

"... WILL ONLY PLAY with Pod HD 500, Pod X3, Pod XT"--- don't mean to sound particular, but to clarify,

it's the "Live" floor effects versions of the afore mentioned that you can play thru. Basically, if it has a VDI

(Variax Digital Interface) connector, it's for playing Variaxes thru it. And use the VDI cable with the Canon XLR

type shells on both ends. Tighter connection, less jiggle, less electronic transients to damage internal circuits.

As I said in my post "Specifically with regard to connecting to Workbench/HD", which was the OP's point...

So, officially, the latter variaxes, (JTV, Standard, Shuriken), WILL ONLY PLAY with Helix, and Pod HD500X, specifically with regard to connecting to Workbench HD.

The legacy variaxes WILL ONLY PLAY with Pod HD 500, Pod X3, Pod XT, specifically with regard to connecting to Workbench.

The "Live" version floor effects with the VDI. Not using the word  "Live" or the Pro (rack)

versions (with the VDI connector), tends infers the Bean version of the product, which

doesn't have a VDI.

As I mentioned, Flash version has a lot to do with it, regarding which Workbench version

to use. Though the Interface Device is better and is isolated from other functions that would

be running simultaneously with Workbenches.

Should be something in the manual and Knowledge Base regarding Workbenches and effects

products running together so you can hear the audio of changes being made.

Very good. You're on the right track, just wanted to fill in a couple of blank spots.

sorry guys, i'm lost here -- but to recap, i returned  the V600, and today received my new jtv59, which i am absolutely in love with -- i tried it out on the mag pickups while the battery was charging, and was amazed at how well the humbuckers sounded, absolutely the best sound i've gotten out of any of my les paul type guitars -- and this is before i even got into the models, which are also great -- the neck, the workmanship, the setup, i was really impressed -- so i have to keep it, and sell a couple of my older guitars, but in the meantime, i did receive the used podxt live, which i can return, but i'm also quite impressed with it(for only 129 used) -- so my question: can"t i use the usb interface that came with my jtv to use workbenchhd and justplay thru the pod xt live with a regular guitar cable? -- will i not be able to play thru the pod using a vdi cable?

You can certainly do what you describe in terms of Workbench HD.

I am almost certain, but not 100%, that your Pod XT will receive the JTV sound via the VDI connection. But I am certain that the Pod XT will not be able to communicate properly with the JTV in terms of command and control. However you will certainly be able to use the JTV 1/4" output (and battery) to the Pod's Guitar input and control the JTV manually while playing.

ok, but what about powering the jtv with the vdi connection? or does the vdi cable not do that? i'm concerned that just using the rechargeable lithium will involve many cycles of insert/reinsert, leading to something getting broken, as i have no way to charge it without removing it from the 59

ok, i'll be careful with that -- and i suppose that the limitations of the pod will become apparent at some point, but for now, after the session i spent yesterday with the 59 and the xt live, i couldn't be happier -- and having just bought the 59, i'd like to avoid the expense of a new hd500x

thanks

• Upvote 1