Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix L6 to Dt50

mikebruno

Sorry to bring this back again on this forum...!

But I might have a problem.

When plugged in L6 on DT amp the front controls on the amp are altering the sound as if I plugged in the gtr input on DT.

It's not like the amp is going g to be slave as it was with HD500 back in the days.

The thing is drive and eq knobs altering my helix presets is real not was I was expecting. Imagine the mess!

Anything bad I might be doing?

My goal is to use it like HD use to ( don't care about topology sync at all. ) just want to have a power amp and cab.

Thanks.

I'm confused...

Yes, the Helix is not integrated with the DT amp series.  There is I believe, however, a DT Amp template that shows how to control the DT through midi commands.  I don't know if that works over L6 Link (probably a good idea to fully explain what you mean, btw, I'm just assuming by L6 you meant L6 Link).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "drive" and "Eq" knobs altering your presets, or what you mean by "use it like HD used to" (which it can't directly do, but can by midi commands) and "just want to have a power amp and cab". 

Do you mean you want to use the preamps in Helix and send that signal to the DT and use the DT power amp and cab, bypassing the DT preamps?

I'm sure that can be done, I just don't know how, and I it takes some finagling.  But the info is out there.

Yes L6 is L6 link

HD 500 use to send true L6link the signal ( preamp only)

and have the DT as slave.

Drive and EQ knobs in the front of DT and are in fonction so that means they are alerting the signal.

I wish I could have an independent out for the amp disabling the cab sim and also sending out to PA via XLR with the cab sim on.

My goal is to use it like HD use to ( don't care about topology sync at all. ) just want to have a power amp and cab.

The problem is that even though the DT and the Helix use the same communication protocol (L6 Link), their basic software architecture is totally different and do not integrate.  They never will.  What you are experiencing is well documented by me and others here.  The Helix signal is actually running through the DT internal amp and cab models and that sucks.  The only solution is to also use a midi cable to connect your DT in addition to the L6 Link.  The Helix can send midi commands to the DT to control it.

You can program each Helix patch to configure the DT the way you want by midi and that works OK.  However, the DT will stay in whatever configuration you last gave it so I found that unworkable.  I found the best way to work it is to turn off the internal amp and cab on all 4 voicings on both channel A and B in the DT.  I then configured the 4 voicings in channel A to Class A, topology I-IV and channel B to Class AB, topology I-IV.  Now all I have to do is send one midi command from Helix to pick the channel and voicing I want for my Helix patch.  Nothing changes in the DT.  You can use something like DT Edit to configure your DT that way.  Once you do that all the knobs on the DT are inactivated except the Master and the Reverb.  The DT is basically just a tube power amp now for my Helix.  Works great.  If you don't like it you can always do a factory reset on the DT back to normal.

Your other option is to skip the L6 Link and just go in to the DT FX return bypassing the preamp altogether.  If you don't want topology matching that might be the best choice for you.  I don't think the DT Master works that way though so the DT is full blast.  You would need to control volume from the Helix.