Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

One Button Step Through Arbitrary Sequence Of Snapshots

buddachile

I think snapshots are fantastic for the seamless transitions of complex sound changes. However as a lead singer I find that thinking about let alone aiming for the correct switch to stomp on for the next section of a song is distracting.

What I would like to be able to do is create a sequence of snapshots that I could step through during a performance by clicking on a single switch (probably FS7) to advance to the next snapshot in the sequence. Just in case there should also be a footswitch (say, FS1) that would step back one snapshot in the song sequence. Each item in the sequence should have its own assignable name/label so that we may think of the sequence like this:

PRESET:     Song 1
Intro ..... SNAPSHOT 1
Verse 1 ... SNAPSHOT 2
Chorus 1 .. SNAPSHOT 3
Verse 2 ... SNAPSHOT 2
Chorus 2 .. SNAPSHOT 3
Solo ...... SNAPSHOT 4
Brkdwn .... SNAPSHOT 5
Chorus 3 .. SNAPSHOT 3
Outro ..... SNAPSHOT 6

When in "sequence performance mode" the screen would show the name of the sequence (usually a song name) and the label of the current item in the sequence. If you wanna get fancy you can show the previous and next items in the sequence above and below the current, hightlighted, item. Also the other footswitches would work as usual as a sort of override (in the case of snapshot switches) and/or complement (in the case of stomps).

I submitted this idea to ideascale here in case you want to vote for it: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/One-Button-Step-Through-Arbitrary-List-Of-Snapshots-Helix/894061-23508

• Upvote 2

Have you tried assigning the Up/Down footswitches to control Snapshots rather than banks or presets and setting the display to 8 Snapshots? I think this will do what you want - proceed forward through the snapshots using the Up footswitch, and backward using the Down footswitch. The active snapshot and its scribble strip name will always be indicated and displayed.

You can make these assignments in Global Settings -> Footswitches.

• Upvote 1

Have you tried assigning the Up/Down footswitches to control Snapshots rather than banks or presets and setting the display to 8 Snapshots? I think this will do what you want - proceed forward through the snapshots using the Up footswitch, and backward using the Down footswitch. The active snapshot and its scribble strip name will always be indicated and displayed.

^this^

You can also hold FS1 and FS7 down at the same time and toggle the up/down functionality to bank, preset, snapshot up/down. 

Voted! I like this idea a lot. I love the current snapshot functionality and would not want to lose any part of it. However, for many tunes It would be a lot easier to just be able to click the same footswitch every time and move through the proper snapshot progression than the current method of having to look down at your pedalboard and nail the correct snapshot switch. I also think silverhead's solution is a great method to use in the interim, particularly if you have an additional couple of MIDI footswitches connected so that you don't have to lose/redirect the bank switches which enable fast bank/preset switching in order to enable the snapshot progression.

Voted! I like this idea a lot. I love the current snapshot functionality and would not want to lost it. However, for many tunes It would be a lot easier to just be able to click the same footswitch every time and move through the proper snapshot progression than the current method of having to look down at your pedalboard and nail the correct snapshot switch. I also think silverhead's solution is a great method to use in the interim, particularly if you have an additional couple of MIDI footswitches connected so that you don't have to lose/redirect the bank switches which enable fast bank/preset switching in order to enable the snapshot progression.

I'm not sure I understand the difference. Assigning the Up/Down footswitches allows you to 'use the same footswitch every time and move through the proper snapshot progression', assuming of course that you have previously arranged the proper progression. What am I missing?

Note that you can change the Up/Down assignment almost instantly between Banks, Presets, and Snapshots by holding down both switches momentarily. So no need to mess with Global Settings if you want to change between songs.

I'm not sure I understand the difference. Assigning the Up/Down footswitches allows you to 'use the same footswitch every time and move through the proper snapshot progression', assuming of course that you have previously arranged the proper progression. What am I missing?

Note that you can change the Up/Down assignment almost instantly between Banks, Presets, and Snapshots by holding down both switches momentarily. So no need to mess with Global Settings if you want to change between songs.

The difference is that you have to press both switches to bring up the bank/preset mode instead of my usual practice of pushing either the UP or DOWN switch. That in and of itself is not a big deal, I could easily get used to clicking both bank switches simultaneously although I do admit to preferring scenarios where I only need to push one switch (that is part of why I love snapshots).  It is the additional, second, double-switch click required to get back to my snap/stomp layout that is more problematic.

The way I currently have my footswitch options laid out(Snap/Stomp), I can push either bank switch, follow that with a click on the preset I want and the Helix automatically drops right back into my pedalboard layout which has snaps on top, stomps on the bottom.  When I try the method you have suggested I have to push both the UP/DOWN switches, select a preset, and then I have to press both UP/DOWN switches again to drop back into the snap/stomp mode. This extra dual footswitch click is what I would be trying to avoid. Do you know of a way to have it drop back automatically?

Additionally there is some noticeable lag time when you use the dual Bank switching mode to get to your presets that does not exist when you have the "Up/Down Switches" parameter set to 'Banks'; which switches to Preset view almost instantaneously. The lag might not be significant for most users, but it does exist both getting to the Bank/Preset mode and then exiting out of it. I am just trying to point out the differences in behavior. So the inability to drop right back into Snap/Stomp mode without a double buttton press TWICE and the additional lag were my reasons for suggesting additional external MIDI footswitches for use with your suggested method.  They certainly are not required. Please don't get me wrong, I think your proposed solution is a great tip and I am sure there are users who will find it to be just the ticket. It all depends on how this method interacts with your current preferred use of the Helix footswitches.

Also, the current setup provides 1-press access only to the next and previous snapshots in their defined order, where the proposal lets you create a custom sequence of snapshots, with named steps. That also allows the same snapshot to be used for more than one step (verse 1, verse 2, etc).

Should you be able to create more than one of these "performance sequences" per patch? I'd think so, unless you use each patch for only one song. If so, there would need to be a way to choose which sequence was active, and something that shows which one you're in.

At that point this begins to seem like a lot of work and added complexity, but maybe the UI design gurus at Line 6 can come up with something elegant and simple that's not too hard to implement.

I upvoted the idea, but I do have those concerns.

• Upvote 1

@silverhead Yes, I'm doing this now. While it does work it limits you to 7 transitions. This is usually enough but not always. Also, it would be nice to have a name of the section on the song you're on. Can snapshots be named like presets and stomps? That would help.

Should you be able to create more than one of these "performance sequences" per patch? I'd think so, unless you use each patch for only one song. If so, there would need to be a way to choose which sequence was active, and something that shows which one you're in.

At that point this begins to seem like a lot of work and added complexity, but maybe the UI design gurus at Line 6 can come up with something elegant and simple that's not too hard to implement.

I upvoted the idea, but I do have those concerns.

@zooey In my oponion keeping it to one performance sequence per preset is sufficiently convenient and keeps the Helix interface simple.

If Line6 can come up with a simple interface to allow multiple sequences per preset that would be even better.

I noticed that the FS1/FS2 engage when you lift your foot from the switch as opposed to the other switches which engage when you press down.

Why is that and can it be changed? I didn't see anything in global settings.

I noticed that the FS1/FS2 engage when you lift your foot from the switch as opposed to the other switches which engage when you press down.

Why is that and can it be changed? I didn't see anything in global settings.

This probably because it needs to detect the FS1/FS7 combined press without activating one or the other first (depending on which you hit a few milliseconds before the other). Doing it on release gets rid of that problem.

This probably because it needs to detect the FS1/FS7 combined press without activating one or the other first (depending on which you hit a few milliseconds before the other). Doing it on release gets rid of that problem.

Makes perfect sense.