Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Plinking when palm muting on open "D" string (octave setting)

james1029

Hi, first time poster here. I plug my shuriken into the helix. when using a distorted preset such as the panama, and the shuriken is set to octave, I notice a high pitched plinking/high note noise when palm muting the 4th string the open D. No matter how I palm mute, where I put my palm, I hear it very loudly. The actual note is hidden behind the high note plinking. 

When I palm mute the other strings in this same setting, the octave down note comes out clearly. Its just mainly this open D string. as soon as I fret a note on the D string, it seems to work fine.

Does anyone else notice this?

I have a Shuriken as well. My plink is observed on the 6th string low E. I guess it's a common problem with all variax's. With a change of strings to .52, it has eliminated the problem. But a bariton scale and a .52, you would have to tune low and compensate using the software. Not too keen but that's the solution I guess. I'm keen to swap out the exisiti g piezos with graphtech ghost piezos to try and see if the problem is with the piezos.

Is that the fix here? would going from a .10 set that it is now to a .11 daddario set fix things? I have no idea.

Nobody can answer that...all you can do is try and see if it helps. The problem tends to vary in severity from one guitar to the next, some hardly suffering from it at all. Likewise, the various "fixes" (if you can even call it that) you'll see mentioned have had varying degrees of success as well. There's only one way to find out...

Also, you wouldn't necessarily have to change the entire set. If you're comfortable playing 10's, just swap out the low E, or perhaps try a set of light top/heavy bottom strings, which are usually 10-52. Not that there's anything wrong with 11's...I've had them on all my guitars for years, but they will take some getting used to, especially with the longer scale length, because that increases the string tension as it is. Your fingers will be a little sore for a bit, especially if you bend strings a lot.

here's my plink.

https://instaud.io/Ykc

Cali rhythm II
standard tuning

0 :00-  00:32 -  tuning knob set to standard, palm mute test
00:37 -  1:04 – tuning knob 2 steps down
1:04 – 1:24  - baritone on tuning knob
1:24 –2:06  - octave
2:06 2:21 chugging all open strings. Plinking coming from Open D string (4th string)

right hand palm is not pushing on bridge or piezos. But when attempting to mute sound, plink noise happens. Mainly on that 4th d string.

Happens distorted tones through helix and ligher ones like the cali rhythm II with or without overdrive.

This Is just the preset that comes with the helix. I have not made any custom patches.

I also used monkey to reupdate the variax shuriken hoping that would fix it. It deleted all my settings, so I thing that that was supposed to happen, but sadly the plink remained. I’m trying to minimize it with my playing but, its pretty piercingly loud.

I recorded with a modest omega lexicon interface into logic.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things you can try.  I have the same issue.  First, make sure you have some type of dead ringer above the nut.  I found it's very necessary, if you dont have one I simply put some electrical tape across the strings above the nut and that solved the problem.  Secondly, play with the pickup settings in workbench.  If you move the pickup slightly forward the plink diminishes but if you go to far it starts to sound like a neck pickup.  If you can find a happy medium you should be able to get it usable. 

• Upvote 1

Have you checked out the Shuriken Guitars Facebook page? Stevic has a video or two talking about palm muting, though I'm not sure how in depth these are. It also seems like he has been fairly responsive in answering people's questions, which is pretty cool considering how busy he is.

Have you checked out the Shuriken Guitars Facebook page? Stevic has a video or two talking about palm muting, though I'm not sure how in depth these are. It also seems like he has been fairly responsive in answering people's questions, which is pretty cool considering how busy he is.

Which is pretty cool, I agree. Not his job really, but he believes in the product, for all the right reasons, and is more than happy to show video of it working for him, plink-free.

But really, Line 6 SHOULD be doing more, to really make this know issue, a NON-ISSUE. Not just for Shuriken, but also JTVs, etc...

Even it is user related, which I believe it could be, in this day and age, I don't know why they can't setup something, where people can submit video of themselves playing (mp3s are all well and good, but playing technique is an individual thing, and can't be ascertained via audio only...), and known user problems can be troubleshot.

There - I just coined a word.

But really, Line 6 SHOULD be doing more, to really make this know issue, a NON-ISSUE. Not just for Shuriken, but also JTVs, etc...

Even it is user related, which I believe it could be, in this day and age, I don't know why they can't setup something, where people can submit video of themselves playing (mp3s are all well and good, but playing technique is an individual thing, and can't be ascertained via audio only...), and known user problems can be troubleshot.

There - I just coined a word.

Would it be nice? Sure, but don't hold your breath. FORD will sell you a truck, but they're not gonna teach you how to drive it...good or bad, that's how the cookie crumbles.

I don't know why they can't setup something, where people can submit video of themselves playing (mp3s are all well and good, but playing technique is an individual thing

Consider the man powered required and sheer amount of time to sit down and alter/address/correct every individual Variax user's right hand technique. And totally not trying to be pejorative, but personal technique issues are what guitar lessons are for. It may take some slight alteration of your right hand technique, but after checking out Stevic's videos more in depth and browsing the comments it seems like far less users are experiencing this problem with the Shuriken.

Maybe

If you check out the Shurkien guitars FB page there are user anecdotes of people switching from the JTVs to the Shuriken and not experiencing this problem. It seems like the new bridge design and scale length have really helped. I'm not trying to say this problem is nonexistent for some users, but I've been reading responses from users and there has been a lot of positive feedback. Usually one finds problems pouring out of the woodwork before accolades, and I've found a decent amount of praise for the Shuriken. Of course, there are more JTV's out there, but that doesn't diminish from the positive Shuriken reports.

• 1 month later...

I had this same problem when I got my shuriken 2 days ago. I expected the piezo pickups to cause problems initially so I ordered 2 different sets of strings with heavier gauge and I ordered a gruv gear fret wrap. I initially changed to the thickest set being a 58 gauge on the low E string. This eliminated the plink, however the tension was so tight it was straining my hand to fret chords, so I changed to a set where the low E is 48 gauge. This lowered the string tension and eliminated the plink. While playing an octave down I can still hear a slight plink, but only if I move my palm further from the bridge. So try a heavier set of strings that are playable, but also have more tension and put something on the nut to prevent overtones from ringing out and I think you'll be more satisfied with your shuriken variax. 

I concur with your findings. Mine was plinking on the low E as wel. A heavier gauge definitely helped. I tried a 52 and the plink was gone. I'll try a 48 next as you suggested. Only thing is cost it's already a baritone scale so it'll just increase the tension with every increase in gauge.

I'm in half kind to replace the piezo with graphtech ghosts. Will probably explore that and report back.

• 3 months later...

I also have the plink on low E and A string– got the 10-52 NYXL daddarios which defenitely helped, but is still not acceptable in my opinion.

When I play the guitar amp-less (lack of better word :o) I think I can hear the sound producing the plink aswell– Can you guys relate to that?