Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V 120 vs Spider V 60

robdepalma

Hi,

I would like to know if buying the LINE 6 Spider V 120 for home is a bad choice ?
Has the sound a very good quality even at a low volume ?
It's not a question of money at all but I would like to know if the sound on the 120 is as good at low volume the on the Spider V 60 at medium, high volume ?

Thanks for answering

I've owned a Spider IV 30 a a practice amp for many years and decided to look at a newer larger version. I recently purchased a Spider V and road tested the 60, 120 and 240 very carefully. I played them side-by-side with the same model guitar, preset-by-preset, and all handled volume well enough at very low "bedroom" levels, but as you gradually increase the volume the quality differences become more and more apparent. Even though I primarily play this at home, I settled on the 240 because the sound quality was simply better to me.

For what it's worth, I bought the 120 and played it at home, sometimes through the speaker, sometimes through headphones. There was a noticeable difference in the output quality between the two, particularly with it being a mono speaker. I decided to return it and swopped it for the 240, and I'm very glad I did. The amp sounds so much better, and it works at low volumes (I'm typically around the 9 o'clock position) and if you push the volume it sounds awesome. If you need it, the V 240 will go seriously loud.

Whatever you decide, and if you are a bit of a newby to it all like me, it is worth watching these two videos on how to use the semi-parametric EQ, it's a must because of the full-range speakers, and will transform the way you can make the amp sound.

Good luck whatever you decide!

• Upvote 1

You can definitely use the Spider V 120 at home for bedroom practice. Like other users have mentioned, it will probably take some tweaking, but amps like this typically do anyway! 

• 2 years later...

The 60 has a 10" speaker, and the 120 has a 12" speaker and XLR output connectors. That's the only difference besides power. For home practice personally, the 60 should be fine, but if you ever want to jam with others, I'd get the 120.

I have both a 60 (for home use) and the 120 (for rehearsals gigs).  Trouble with both is the speakers sound lousy when amps gets turned up. However, the 120 sounds just fine when you run direct into the PA with the XLR output connectors. So, I agree completely with gtman100.  The 60 is really great if you just want to play at home, but you'll want the 120 if you plan to play with others.