Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Loose Pots/Knobs

wildboy280

Hi all,

I have been owning a Helix pedalboard for two years and played lots of gigs with it. While I am very happy with it, last night I noticed that a couple of the pots under the display were loose.

Before opening the unit and see whether I can tighten them up, I would like to know if that is actually possible.

Problem is that, while gigging, it is very easy to accidentally hit those pots with the foot. Luckily they still work, however Line 6 should consider some kind of protection to avoid that in the next Helix generation.

One reason why I went with a rack unit and "foot" controller with just "switches" on the front that you are to step on. Even with that, I'm thinking anything that you stomp on continually will eventually break. Nature of the beast. 

Yeah I too considered that option, however the pedalboard version is just easier to carry than a two separate cases.

However I still think those pots can be better protected, I'm considering to put some kind of thin aluminium bar between them and the footswitches. That should give enough protection.

Hi all,

I have been owning a Helix pedalboard for two years and played lots of gigs with it. While I am very happy with it, last night I noticed that a couple of the pots under the display were loose.

Before opening the unit and see whether I can tighten them up, I would like to know if that is actually possible.

Problem is that, while gigging, it is very easy to accidentally hit those pots with the foot. Luckily they still work, however Line 6 should consider some kind of protection to avoid that in the next Helix generation.

They are covered by a 2 year warranty. Maybe start a support ticket with them and they will repair it under warranty. 

Well, they aren't pots... They're rotary encoders, and I believe they're PCB mounted, so I'm not sure if they can be tightened easily or not. There might be a nut around the shaft that tightens them down, but I don't know. Probably best to open a ticket.

Ok, I had a better look today and opened the unit as well (bottom lid and left side). The six controllers are rotary encoders soldered onto the display board and they are not loose at all, studs are just fine.

"Issue" comes from the black plastic knobs that are slightly loose. I tried to remove one and see whether I could adjust tightness, however it seems they are glued on the studs. Since I don't want to break any of the controllers, I'll leave them as they are, in the end it's a very minor issue.

Btw, I still think they can be better protected from accidental damage.