Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX EDIT 2.51vs. 2.50 - what did I do wrong?

talonmm

I think I screwed up my mac computer with this update.

I downloaded the latest updater and started the update, not realizing that there is a later version of HX Edit available (ver 2.51) for download as a stand alone and not part of the updater download.

Before I knew it, I had updated my helix unit to 2.5 and the update software on the mac said everything was done.  I went into hx edit, saw the unit had a 2.50 firmware version and made some changes to my tones and saved them to the helix.

Then I noticed that the new amps were not there and I could not find the new effects.  That's when I realized I needed to install the new HX edit which I did.

Then when I updated HX Edit to either 2.5 or 2.51 to find the new amps, both the HX edit program and updater both crashed.  Each time they crashed, I would get a text screen explaining the problem, but none of the computer code and messages made much sense.

I download again and again, and eventually, had to restore 2.3 to the helix and the old HX edit (2.3)

thinking it was a currupted helix device, due to my botched update, I hooked up another helix running 2.3 to the mac and it crashed too.

I kept deleting all traces of my line 6 mac installs but each time, the updater and 2.5 hx edit would crash with the same message log.

Sometimes even 2.3 HX Edit and the old updater would crash too (i kept wiping all traces of helix software from the mac and reinstalling).

so I finally got the helix 2.3 working again and the 2.3 HX Edit.

my got feeling is the problem is with my mac, since an uncorrupted helix also caused the line 6 software to crash.

Sometimes the software would not crash if none of the helix until were connected.  Please don't think it's a bad usb port, these ports have worked flawlessly for a year or two.

my choices are:  try again with another mac (would hate to do this) or wait a week or two until perhaps updater is updated to include the latest 2.51 HX edit.  

anyone else go through this?  I realize I should probably photograph the screen errors and post, and if this is a unique instance, I will do that.  

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I think I screwed up my mac computer with this update.

I downloaded the latest updater and started the update, not realizing that there is a later version of HX Edit available (ver 2.51) for download as a stand alone and not part of the updater download.

Before I knew it, I had updated my helix unit to 2.5 and the update software on the mac said everything was done.  I went into hx edit, saw the unit had a 2.50 firmware version and made some changes to my tones and saved them to the helix.

Then I noticed that the new amps were not there and I could not find the new effects.  That's when I realized I needed to install the new HX edit which I did.

Then when I updated HX Edit to either 2.5 or 2.51 to find the new amps, both the HX edit program and updater both crashed.  Each time they crashed, I would get a text screen explaining the problem, but none of the computer code and messages made much sense.

I download again and again, and eventually, had to restore 2.3 to the helix and the old HX edit (2.3)

thinking it was a currupted helix device, due to my botched update, I hooked up another helix running 2.3 to the mac and it crashed too.

I kept deleting all traces of my line 6 mac installs but each time, the updater and 2.5 hx edit would crash with the same message log.

Sometimes even 2.3 HX Edit and the old updater would crash too (i kept wiping all traces of helix software from the mac and reinstalling).

so I finally got the helix 2.3 working again and the 2.3 HX Edit.

my got feeling is the problem is with my mac, since an uncorrupted helix also caused the line 6 software to crash.

Sometimes the software would not crash if none of the helix until were connected.  Please don't think it's a bad usb port, these ports have worked flawlessly for a year or two.

my choices are:  try again with another mac (would hate to do this) or wait a week or two until perhaps updater is updated to include the latest 2.51 HX edit.  

anyone else go through this?  I realize I should probably photograph the screen errors and post, and if this is a unique instance, I will do that.  

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

As VirtualGuitars pointed out you do ultimately, at least for the moment want to end up using the HX Edit 2.51 editor on your Mac with the 2.50 version of the firmware installed on the Helix. If history is any indication Line6 will end up synching up the version numbers between the editor and the firmware at some point in the future but right now they are different.

You want to download and install HX Edit 2.51 which will unpack the Editor and updater on your Mac. Then you use the Updater to upgrade to the 2.50 firmware version. Sounds like you may know that already though. There are quite a few posts floating around right now from users who have problems with HX Edit 2.51 crashing on certain OS builds on certain Mac hardware. Despite the fact that you may not have pursued the ideal sequence of events or methodology when you first upgraded your software and firmware this may have nothing to do with that and may be due to the issues, as mentioned previously,  that others are seeing specific to certain OS versions on certain Macs. I can tell you so far everything has worked seamlessly in Windows 10 if you also happen to have one of those laying around. Lastly, it is always a good idea to get backups and then completely uninstall the Helix software before going for a reinstall or another attempt at a firmware upgrade.

thanks for your help.  I installed the new stuff using updater first, then installed the editor so that's one strike against me.  But it does seem that it's my os bid on my mac.  I tend to stick with older os systems if they run well and both macs I have are running  old operating systems.  

Yes, I did uninstall the helix software each time I attempted to reinstall.

If anyone can let me and others know what mac os and/or hardware is not working, that would be a huge help.

thanks for your assistance with this

checked the os, I am running ox x 10.9.4 which is old but not out of the range line 6 said would work on their update screens.  I will update to a new os if others are having issues with the older operating systems.

Can someone please verify that my older os may be the issue?

If you look on the 2.51 edit download page you will notice at the bottom that Mountain Lion and Mavericks are no longer supported as they were with 2.30.  I am in the same predicament (with Mountain Lion) and thus have had to settle for 2.50 firmware but with 2.30 edit. Alas I don't get all the new goodies with 2.50 but at least it works.  Maybe L6 will come up with a fix.  I can't upgrade past ML as I use PT 10 and am stuck with that until I go for a major system upgrade.

Im running a MacBook with 10.13.3 and HX EDIT won't even open to attempt to install it , on my older MacBook it just crashes so I can't update at all , very frustrating .

Did you try to download it again? Because for me it "opens" and installs just fine on my late 2009 iMac. Then do a backup with it. Then update Line-6 updater.

Then install the firmware with Line-6 updater. Easy-Peasy. 

There have been some issues with MacBooks in the past but I don't remember (because I don't own one) if it's because of incompatibilities with Line-6 software or because the users refused to keep their OS fairly current, or a bit of both. But for me, it worked.