Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stomp Box mode

afc1903

Not sure what I'm missing, but I want to figure out how to use the Helix in front of my amp, and have the 8 footswtiches assigned to 8 pedals.

I've tried creating a preset, and assigning blocks to the top row of pedals, which is working, but can't work out how to assign pedals to the bottom row.

In the global settings, the options seem to be stomp/presets or presets/stomp, but not just 'stomp'. 

How do I assign all 8 pedals to 8 blocks?  

Of course! This is the first thing I wanted to do, also!

First, go to Global Settings > Footswitches > Stomp Mode Switches = 10 switches (or not, if you only want to use 8 stomps).

Next, in your preset, assign each module to a footswitch. Press the menu button, then press Bypass Assign. Use the joystick to select an effect, then use the Switch knob to choose footswitch 1-5, 7-11.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, aaronlyon said:

Of course! This is the first thing I wanted to do, also!

First, go to Global Settings > Footswitches > Stomp Mode Switches = 10 switches (or not, if you only want to use 8 stomps).

Next, in your preset, assign each module to a footswitch. Press the menu button, then press Bypass Assign. Use the joystick to select an effect, then use the Switch knob to choose footswitch 1-5, 7-11.

That's what's confusing me - I go to Global Settings > Footswitches, and don't have a Stomp Mode option. The only options are: 8 Presets; Preset/ Stomp; Stomp/Preset, Preset/Snap; Snap/Preset; Stomp/Snap; Snap/Stomp and Snapshots? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zooey said:

Is this an LT by any chance? Don't have one, but maybe it doesn't have that option?

Yes, it's an LT. Pretty sure you can only assign four stompbox pedals, but it's not clear in the manual -  seems to be a difference between Helix and the LT version

On 3/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, afc1903 said:

Not sure what I'm missing, but I want to figure out how to use the Helix in front of my amp, and have the 8 footswtiches assigned to 8 pedals.

I've tried creating a preset, and assigning blocks to the top row of pedals, which is working, but can't work out how to assign pedals to the bottom row.

In the global settings, the options seem to be stomp/presets or presets/stomp, but not just 'stomp'. 

How do I assign all 8 pedals to 8 blocks?  

I own a Helix but I think it is essentially the same as the LT. If you want stomp mode, showing up to eight stomp assignments just press FS6 ('Mode' footswitch). Assuming this is not just an issue with actually assigning the effects to the bottom row of footswtiches.  See page 12 in the LT manual. Do the dropdown menus for the footswitch assignments not give you the option of assigning footswitches on the bottom row? Also, after entering FS6(Stomp mode) are you able to use the touch method for assignment. Just highlight the effect you want to assign and then touch and hold(don't click down) the footswitch on the bottom row you want to assign. Does this pop up the screen options to assign the footswitch?

On 3/18/2018 at 12:59 AM, HonestOpinion said:

I own a Helix but I think it is essentially the same as the LT. If you want stomp mode, showing up to eight stomp assignments just press FS6 ('Mode' footswitch). Assuming this is not just an issue with actually assigning the effects to the bottom row of footswtiches.  See page 12 in the LT manual. Do the dropdown menus for the footswitch assignments not give you the option of assigning footswitches on the bottom row? Also, after entering FS6(Stomp mode) are you able to use the touch method for assignment. Just highlight the effect you want to assign and then touch and hold(don't click down) the footswitch on the bottom row you want to assign. Does this pop up the screen options to assign the footswitch?

No, in the footswitch assignment menu there is a option missing, compared to the jpeg earlier in this thread. In the jpeg, there is an option for choosing how many pedals you want in stomp box mode. This option is not there on my LT, so I'm assuming it's different in this respect that the Helix (or maybe it's to do with the latest software version?) I've created a preset with a signal chain of fx only, and have saved each individual effect to a pedal, however, the footswitch is assigned to Snapshots mode. I initially thought I'd created 8 snapshots, but the number 1 is in the top right-hand corner for all of them?

I'm a bit worried about turning up to a gig and not understanding this. I'm finding creating sounds and presents very easy and intuitive, but the modes/footswitch thing isn't clear to me - especially  the 8 stompbox option that is in the pic earlier, but not on my unit!

2 minutes ago, afc1903 said:

No, in the footswitch assignment menu there is a option missing, compared to the jpeg earlier in this thread. In the jpeg, there is an option for choosing how many pedals you want in stomp box mode. This option is not there on my LT, so I'm assuming it's different in this respect that the Helix (or maybe it's to do with the latest software version?) I've created a preset with a signal chain of fx only, and have saved each individual effect to a pedal, however, the footswitch is assigned to Snapshots mode. I initially thought I'd created 8 snapshots, but the number 1 is in the top right-hand corner for all of them?

I'm a bit worried about turning up to a gig and not understanding this. I'm finding creating sounds and presents very easy and intuitive, but the modes/footswitch thing isn't clear to me - especially  the 8 stompbox option that is in the pic earlier, but not on my unit!

You are getting your modes mixed up... Think of it like this - out of the gate, there are two basic modes. There's Stomp Mode and  Preset Mode. On the Helix Floor and Rack, you have an option to have Stomp Mode display 10 stomps (converting the Bank Up and Down switches to stomps). On the LT, you don't have that option. As far as Preset Mode, there are bunch of different options as far as what you want to view - You can set it to 8 Presets, 4 Presets/4 Stomps (and the inversion), 4 Snaps/4 Stomps (and the inversion), and 8 Snapshots. The Mode Switch will always go back and forth between Stomp and Preset Mode, though. Stomp Mode is the only mode in which you can assign effects to footswitches using the touch capacitance feature.

There are other modes, like Looper Mode, Pedal Edit Mode, and Snapshot Mode, but for the sake of simplicity, we won't go down that road right now...

7 hours ago, phil_m said:

You are getting your modes mixed up... Think of it like this - out of the gate, there are two basic modes. There's Stomp Mode and  Preset Mode. On the Helix Floor and Rack, you have an option to have Stomp Mode display 10 stomps (converting the Bank Up and Down switches to stomps). On the LT, you don't have that option. As far as Preset Mode, there are bunch of different options as far as what you want to view - You can set it to 8 Presets, 4 Presets/4 Stomps (and the inversion), 4 Snaps/4 Stomps (and the inversion), and 8 Snapshots. The Mode Switch will always go back and forth between Stomp and Preset Mode, though. Stomp Mode is the only mode in which you can assign effects to footswitches using the touch capacitance feature.

There are other modes, like Looper Mode, Pedal Edit Mode, and Snapshot Mode, but for the sake of simplicity, we won't go down that road right now...

Thanks! That's exactly what I've done. I misunderstood  switching modes and editing modes, probably due to being on the view showing the signal chain, which stays the same. 

Really helpful to get this kind of feedback, so thanks again! 

On 3/19/2018 at 10:04 AM, afc1903 said:

You are correct that there is no 10 stomp footswitches option available on the LT but the rest of the functionality for footswitches is similar to the Helix's operation. You probably have this sorted out by now but just in case I wanted to add this clarification. I think part of the confusion was that you can assign a footswitch to invoke a snapshot or a stomp. When you are in for example 'Performance View' and not explicitly in one of the other modes such as "snapshot" or "stomp" mode, your footswitches will default to whatever arrangement you have selected in Global Settings --> Footswitches --> 'Preset Mode Switches'. For example "Snap/Stomp", snapshots on top row, stomps on the bottom. When you explicitly select FS6(Stomp mode) now all eight footswitches show your up to eight stomp assignments on each footswitch.  If you press both Bank switches(Snapshot mode) at the same time you enter Snapshot mode and all eight snapshots will be available on each footswitch. So one key is understanding the difference between assigning your parameters and bypass states to to a snapshot or a stomp and then being able to use the mode that displays the combination of stomps, snapshots or even presets that you want to select from. After you have done your assignments you will need to be aware of which mode(e.g stomp or snapshot, or neither) you are in so that you have either all snaps, all stomps, or in the case of the Performance View, some combination of stomps, snapshots, or presets available on the footswitches.

• 2 years later...
15 minutes ago, shawnt113 said:

I’ve been away from the chats for a while. Are we at a point for the LT where we can use the bottom row of FS to select presets and the top to select effects? 

You've always been able to do that. Go to Global Settings>Footswitches>Preset Mode Footswitches and select Stomp/Presets.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I've updated to last 3.11 firmware on my helix LT and I can't find anymore the 8 stomps on Global Settings>Footswitches>Preset Mode Footswitches.

It was for me by far the best mode and the only I was using. 

Am I missing something ? 

Can you put it back please ?

15 minutes ago, ricoeldiablo said:

Hi, I've updated to last 3.11 firmware on my helix LT and I can't find anymore the 8 stomps on Global Settings>Footswitches>Preset Mode Footswitches.

It was for me by far the best mode and the only I was using. 

Am I missing something ? 

Can you put it back please ?

No such setting exists. Hit the Mode footswitch.

• Upvote 1