Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Exp Pedal Lifespan + Updates

colmwiggle

Whats the average lifespan of the "official" expression pedal? They are plastic and flimsy compared to the housing for the M13 itself. I have two for my M13 and one of them is starting to go wonky. I've had them since 2010.

Are there other, more rugged pedals out there that would function as expression pedals?

With my old DL4 and FM4 I was able to use almost any of the volume pedals I have as experession pedals but I cant seem to get them to work with the M13 - though they could be broken too, they're old.

Basically I'm not sure if I should get a line6 one or opt for an unofficial one.

and one more thing -

WHATS THE STORY WITH UPDATES FOR THE M13? Surely they are due to give us one soon? I know asking about updates is like peeing in the wind but I feel duty bound to do it.

Heres 3 suggestions -

Currently when you record a loop and hit playback it is possible to add another layer of effects ontop of the playback loop, but it is not possible to record the loop with these effects or to use some photoshop jargon "flatten the layers".

Two similar suggestions here:

In Smart Harmony it would be great if you could use the expression pedal to move up (or down) the scale step by step, ie to go from +0 to +9 - or whatever your min and max settings are, hitting every note on the set scale just by holding the one note on the guitar and moving the expression pedal instead of getting down on your knees and manually tweeking the dial.

In tempo based effects can you make it so that when you are using notes (quarter notes etc) as opposed to milliseconds, you can switch betweeen settings using the exp pedal, so for example you can go from quarter notes to thirty second notes (hitting every division inbetween) using the exp pedal instead of getting down on your knees and manually tweeking the dial.

I know you can do this when you are using milliseconds but I want to be able to do this in notes.

Thanks for ignoring this post and not updating the M13

Whats the average lifespan of the "official" expression pedal? They are plastic and flimsy compared to the housing for the M13 itself. I have two for my M13 and one of them is starting to go wonky. I've had them since 2010.

Are there other, more rugged pedals out there that would function as expression pedals?

With my old DL4 and FM4 I was able to use almost any of the volume pedals I have as experession pedals but I cant seem to get them to work with the M13 - though they could be broken too, they're old.

Basically I'm not sure if I should get a line6 one or opt for an unofficial one.

I don't know what the average lifespan is, but I've had two for over 10 years now that still work fine. I suspect that if you're pedals aren't working the M13, you don't have the M13 set up correctly. You need to go into the scene setup screens and assign the pedals to the effects blocks you want controlled. You have to do this for every scene. It's not quite as plug and play as the 4-button stomps.

WHATS THE STORY WITH UPDATES FOR THE M13? Surely they are due to give us one soon? I know asking about updates is like peeing in the wind but I feel duty bound to do it.

I don't know what the plans are officially, but I don't expect further updates for the M13. I think at this point, it's simply an established product. If anything, I would think Line 6 would come out with some new hardware. But I don't know... It's been quite a long time since there's been any development with the M13's firmware. It would be very unusual for Line 6 to start it back it back up again.

I know how to set up the M13 correctly and I've switched pedals (I have two) and leads (I have many) and routings (they are legion) back and forth and all that jazz and concluded that yes it is broke. I have RTFM :D .

Pedal went haywire during a gig and had to reroute all my settings on the hoof so that was no fun.

Saw other expression pedals mentioned in another thread so will explore that as an option.

If we keep asking for updates then maybe, just maybe, they will confer upon us a lovely update.

• 2 weeks later...

In tempo based effects can you make it so that when you are using notes (quarter notes etc) as opposed to milliseconds, you can switch betweeen settings using the exp pedal, so for example you can go from quarter notes to thirty second notes (hitting every division inbetween) using the exp pedal instead of getting down on your knees and manually tweeking the dial.

I know you can do this when you are using milliseconds but I want to be able to do this in notes.

Thanks for ignoring this post and not updating the M13

I would also REALLY REALLY like to see this addressed.  It would make the M9 go from very usable and great bang for your buck to completely irreplaceable.