Sign in to follow this  
Trotsky

Helix LT. Horrible noise!

Hi everyone. New to forum person here with a helix LT hummer .

I’ve had the Helix since August 17. Very pleased with it, however about  4 Weeks ago 

a nasty constant hum has developed. Before everyone starts bouncing back with ideas about

guitar cables and everything else this is a strange one. I use it in 4 cable to my valve amp and don’t use any amp models. So, helix connected to amp with 4 cables or directly in to front of amp, connect the mains lead to the helix and the gruesome loud hum appears before the helix is even switched on!! Driving me nuts now as my last three gigs have not been a pleasurable experience !  Personally I think the helix is duff but any ideas out there guys ??

What happens if you run the guitar straight into the amp with Helix removed from the equation completely? Is the hum still present? Any other gear/pedals involved? 

Guitar into amp is as quiet as a church mouse.

Tried friends amp, same noise. I’ve removed all my other pedals etc from the equation.

1 hour ago, Trotsky said:

before the helix is even switched on

So with it on and hooked up in 4cm do you also have guitar sound with the hum, or just hum alone?

What if you just go straight into the amp input from the left/mono 1/4 output jack, any difference?

Have guitar sound output from helix with constant hum either direct in or 4cm. Obviously no guitar with helix  switched off but the hum comes through the amp.

Since you've only had it since Aug I'd open up a service ticket.

I’ve done that. No help. Looks like I’ll have to return it for repair/replacement...major grief !

Sorry to hear that. I have an LT also but haven't experienced that on mine. Most of my problems are operator error

:o)

That I haven’t tried. I have a take-apart iec connector that I can just remove the earth from. I’ll give it a try.

Return it and get HX Effects if you're happy with your amp but just want more options.  HXFX is a pretty solid piece of kit.  

Other than the hardware issues that require sending it in for IC replacement at your expense, of course.

I wish you luck!

I’ll return the unit as it’s under warranty so I definitely won’t be paying a bean!