Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

E String No Longer Working and D String Quiet

I took off the back plates and the connections were quite,... loose especially the high Estring. I just unplugged and replugged everything and its back to working. However, this thing is definitely not Road ready! This happened from simply hanging my guitar! Unless The connections are properly secured I think this is going to keep happening so I’m gonna figure out a way to do that. Not really what I expect from a guitar that cost me nearly $2000 Canadian. 

19 hours ago, sdre9096 said:

I took off the back plates and the connections were quite,... loose especially the high Estring. I just unplugged and replugged everything and its back to working. However, this thing is definitely not Road ready! This happened from simply hanging my guitar! Unless The connections are properly secured I think this is going to keep happening so I’m gonna figure out a way to do that. Not really what I expect from a guitar that cost me nearly $2000 Canadian. 

It's rather unlikely that any one maneuver pulled the connections loose... stuff like that tends to happen gradually, and could easily be the result of not having been seated properly in the first place.  Mine is almost 5 years old now, been to countless gigs with no similar issues. Sounds like you've solved it anyway. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

4 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

It's rather unlikely that any one maneuver pulled the connections loose... stuff like that tends to happen gradually, and could easily be the result of not having been seated properly in the first place.  Mine is almost 5 years old now, been to countless gigs with no similar issues. Sounds like you've solved it anyway. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Maybe? Maybe not..... It was working, I hung it up and it didnt anymore. The connections in general are not great. They all wiggle around. I would call that poor design.

5 hours ago, sdre9096 said:

Maybe? Maybe not..... It was working, I hung it up and it didnt anymore. The connections in general are not great. They all wiggle around. I would call that poor design.

You've just described every electronic device on earth that has ever died. Everything works fine until it doesn't. If I sneeze 4 times while loading the dishwasher, and then it craps the bed and floods my kitchen, it doesn't mean there's a correlation. That's "after this, therefore because of this" reasoning...if you threw the thing at the wall and then it stopped working, OK... but I fail to see how merely hanging it up could induce a malfunction.

On 5/27/2018 at 10:27 PM, cruisinon2 said:

You've just described every electronic device on earth that has ever died. Everything works fine until it doesn't. If I sneeze 4 times while loading the dishwasher, and then it craps the bed and floods my kitchen, it doesn't mean there's a correlation. That's "after this, therefore because of this" reasoning...if you threw the thing at the wall and then it stopped working, OK... but I fail to see how merely hanging it up could induce a malfunction.

Thank you for that absolutely pointless dribble. I now feel enlightened to attack the day..... 

15 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

You win. Hanging up the guitar destroyed it. Don't play it... it might burst into flames next. 

More pointless halfwit ‘humor’. Why bother?  If you respond to someone again....maybe try actually have something to say. Maybe even constructive!?. Sounds like a lot fro you I know. 

I tried  "constructive" initially, by pointing out that just about any connection like those in question, can work their way loose over time. And since I'd had no similar issues after a number of years of regular use, it doesn't support the conclusion that none of them are "road ready". I then went on to say that since you'd already fixed it, it was likely nothing to worry about. That's what is commonly referred to as "reassurance"... it was intended to make you feel better about the situation. Instead, you doubled down on "it's a poor design and it breaks when you hang it up". At that point, what was I supposed to say to change your mind? Obviously not "halfwit humor"... sorry my drivel isn't your cup of tea. 

And if the fact that I don't share that opinion makes me a half-wit, so be it, lol. If your axe is working, great.Hope it stays that way.  

My mother always told me “If you don’t have anything positive to say, don’t say anything.” Good advice, but not always. We sometimes need to feel a right to assert our own boundaries. @cruisinon2, you are a valued contributor, I never miss your posts. I found your response to be constructive.

There can be quality and connection issues with Variax. I think properly serviced and setup, these instruments are pretty reliable. I have four Variax guitars. The Variax 300 was the most unreliable because of an intermittent short between the shield and one of connector pins. Tape fixed that. I’ve had one piezo pickup go bad on my Variax 700 Acoustic. I use a JTV-69S for every gig and don’t even think about its reliability. Its never been a problem other than not seating the VDI cable completely. My Variax Standard neck is pretty environment sensitive. So I don’t gig with it anymore. Avoid thin necks. The feel great, but tend to be less stable.

• Thanks 1