Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Alto TS308 Experience/Recommendation?

jdag

As I am sure many here are aware, Alto has updated its popular TS2 series to the TS3 series.  While they had a TS208, there was little information around on that size, with most attention on the TS210 and TS212.

The TS308 is being stocked by US-based retailers, and I am looking to move to a new speaker solution.  I bought a Helix LT last week, and am currently using headphones and a THR10 (via aux) for output.  I am only a home user, with zero plans to subject the good people of my community to my playing.

Has anyone used the TS308 yet?  What are your thoughts relative to the TS310/TS210?  It is only slightly less costly, so that is not my concern at all.  I do appreciate the smaller footprint.  My plan is to get 2 of whatever I decide, so as they say, size matters.

My other thoughts are on the Alto TX line (TX208, TX210, or older TX8, TX10) o studio monitors (JBL LSR305, Yamaha HS5, Adam T5V).  I don't know that the extra cost of the JBL EON610 or Yamaha DBR10 would bring me much value over the Altos.

Side note: If I go with PA type speakers, I would keep them on the floor as wedges.  If studio monitors, I would buy stands.

Thanks, John

If you play your guitar in front of your computer, only for yourself, and don't move around then a pair of studio monitors (in stereo) is the way to go.  Studio monitors are "nearr-field".  If you at some point think you will be jamming with friends then something like the TS makes sense.  Someone else will have to comment on the TS308.

i play at home with the hope of one day playing out again,but regardless for me inspiration comes with a good sound.I use a 212 cab with a seymore duncan powerstage 170 it gives me great sound so imo I would go with at least the 12 inch alto and if you have money get a second one runin stereo should make you a happy player. If you have a helix one again my opinion why not pair it up with something nice?

2 hours ago, jdag said:

I don't know that the extra cost of the JBL EON610 or Yamaha DBR10 would bring me much value over the Altos.

Thanks, John

Well not any more value  than a Mercedes would bring over a Ford Fiesta.....

You get what you pay for...

1 hour ago, DunedinDragon said:

Well not any more value  than a Mercedes would bring over a Ford Fiesta.....

You get what you pay for...

Is there that significant a difference?  And I am a car guy that happens to have a Mercedes, so I can relate.

4 hours ago, jdag said:

Is there that significant a difference?  And I am a car guy that happens to have a Mercedes, so I can relate.

Well, relatively speaking there can be.  Of course we're talking about pricing from $200 to $1,000 rather than $14,000 to $80,000.

There are roughly three pricing areas when it comes to these type of speakers.  The pricing is really based on what market segment they're targeted at and the features and capabilities that appeal to those segments.

The Alto is pretty much the low end pricing and is targeted for general use with a big market segment in mobile DJs and the Dance Mix crowd.  For that reason they provide a fair amount of wattage for the money but very little in capabilities to contour the sound of the speaker other than boosting the bass frequencies.

The next level up would be units like the Electrovoice ZLX speakers, JBL EON speakers and lower end Yamaha DBR speakers.  Some decent DSP contouring options to address a variety of different uses (floor monitor, PA on stand, public speaking, etc.), and pretty decent speaker components.

The more premium level would be units like the QSC K series or Yamaha DXR series which again have ample volume for most applications, very good DSP contouring options, premium speakers and components, and great care and quality in the cabinet design and materials for both sound and durability.

What this really boils down to as you go up in price is greater clarity, articulation, and more accurate sonic response as well as the ability to adapt the speaker to different uses/applications as well as durability which is an important factor for live/mobile use.  For many people the mid level units are more than capable of addressing their needs.  Even though I choose to use the upper end components because I use mine in many different situations, I do use some middle level units like the EV ZLX for things like side fills.  One of the reasons I choose to use Yamaha DXR speakers is that there are sometimes situations I play in where it's not feasible or necessary to send the instruments through the PA, and the PA is reserved for just vocals, harmonica, and some percussion like the kick drum.  So I position my DXR behind me on a half height stand facing the audience like a normal backline.  In that way the quality of my guitar sound will be more consistent with the quality and reach of the FOH system for my guitar.  I've done the same thing with electronic drum kits in that situation using an additional DXR speaker.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Well, relatively speaking there can be.  Of course we're talking about pricing from $200 to $1,000 rather than $14,000 to $80,000.

There are roughly three pricing areas when it comes to these type of speakers.  The pricing is really based on what market segment they're targeted at and the features and capabilities that appeal to those segments.

The Alto is pretty much the low end pricing and is targeted for general use with a big market segment in mobile DJs and the Dance Mix crowd.  For that reason they provide a fair amount of wattage for the money but very little in capabilities to contour the sound of the speaker other than boosting the bass frequencies.

The next level up would be units like the Electrovoice ZLX speakers, JBL EON speakers and lower end Yamaha DBR speakers.  Some decent DSP contouring options to address a variety of different uses (floor monitor, PA on stand, public speaking, etc.), and pretty decent speaker components.

The more premium level would be units like the QSC K series or Yamaha DXR series which again have ample volume for most applications, very good DSP contouring options, premium speakers and components, and great care and quality in the cabinet design and materials for both sound and durability.

What this really boils down to as you go up in price is greater clarity, articulation, and more accurate sonic response as well as the ability to adapt the speaker to different uses/applications as well as durability which is an important factor for live/mobile use.  For many people the mid level units are more than capable of addressing their needs.  Even though I choose to use the upper end components because I use mine in many different situations, I do use some middle level units like the EV ZLX for things like side fills.  One of the reasons I choose to use Yamaha DXR speakers is that there are sometimes situations I play in where it's not feasible or necessary to send the instruments through the PA, and the PA is reserved for just vocals, harmonica, and some percussion like the kick drum.  So I position my DXR behind me on a half height stand facing the audience like a normal backline.  In that way the quality of my guitar sound will be more consistent with the quality and reach of the FOH system for my guitar.  I've done the same thing with electronic drum kits in that situation using an additional DXR speaker.

Fantastic explanation!  I've read about the Altos being boomy if used on the floor, which is how I would use them.  This gives me reason to expand my thinking up to the mid-level.

I had the Mercedes DXR12 and was not pleased with the sound.....I sold it and bought the Ford TS312 and have been very pleased with the sound, zero complaints.

For $300 I am very happy with my purchase....you can get the TS310 for $249.

I bit on the more expensive is better thing and have to disagree...I may have had a defective DXR12. As soon as I powered up the Alto I was all smiles :) I don't find it boomy, I read that also and was concerned.

This is all just my opinion.

Here is the speaker stand I'm using. Perfect size for home use, small footprint but sturdy.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-ssas7000b-mini-adjustable-speaker-stand/j42922000000000?pfm=item_page.rr1|ClickCP

5 hours ago, kennyhickey said:

Here is the speaker stand I'm using.

And that's the very important point that DunedinDragon was stressing.

The Alto TS308 speaker has very good specs, but it doesn't have any bass adjustment that you'd need when you use the speaker on the floor as a wedge (unlike your placement on a stand). And it's a pity. On the contrary it has a "contour" switch boosting the highs and lows (a kind of the "loudness" switch we had in the old hi-fi systems), that is not useful for a guitar modeler use.

On 7/3/2018 at 4:46 PM, cgar18 said:

i play at home with the hope of one day playing out again,but regardless for me inspiration comes with a good sound.I use a 212 cab with a seymore duncan powerstage 170 it gives me great sound so imo I would go with at least the 12 inch alto and if you have money get a second one runin stereo should make you a happy player. If you have a helix one again my opinion why not pair it up with something nice?

I use the Alto TS210 at home and really, there is no need for a 212 at home. My guess is that the TS208 or TS308 will work just fine for you. Especially when the footprint is important.

greetings Chris