Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it a bad idea to use 1/4 out and VDI at the same time?

On 8/2/2021 at 6:37 PM, soundog said:

To triple check ....when using Workbench HD for programming/editing only, is it OK to route Variax VDI to the USB dongle (for Workbench) and TRS from Variax to a Variax power A/B unit (to avoid using a battery), and finally XLR or 1/4" TS from the A/B box to to an amp (for monitoring while customizing)?

The Variax Workbench USB interface doesn't provide power to the Variax, that's why its ok as well as necessary to use it with the battery/TRS power pack.

2 hours ago, amsdenj said:

The models and/or magnetics are both sent digitally through the VDI cable. The A2D converter for the magnetics is in the Variax. With the model switch off, the magnetics are sent by themselves over VDI. With the model switch on you can use Workbench HD to adjust the balance/blend between the magnetics and model picks for any given patch. The default is to have the magnetics turned all the way down, and you would have to do this for any open tuning patches.

Thanks for your kind reply.

When this signal is sent via the VDI, are the 2 signals mixed together in mono (ie- blended), or are they sent separately so that they can be processed individually in the Helix?  I actually just bought a Helix off of Reverb, but I had to return it because I couldn't get it to connect to my computer and I didn't get a chance to check this feature before returning it.

The signals are indepedent and can be processed separately in Helix by using a dual path preset. Set the Input block of one path to Variax and the other path to Variax Mags. The Variax input uses the current active Variax model as defined in the Helix preset or by the physical model knob and pickup switch combination on the guitar. As amsdenj stated the Variax model may itself be a model/mag blend of the signals prepared by using  the Workbench HD editing program.

32 minutes ago, silverhead said:

The signals are indepedent and can be processed separately in Helix by using a dual path preset. Set the Input block of one path to Variax and the other path to Variax Mags. The Variax input uses the current active Variax model as defined in the Helix preset or by the physical model knob and pickup switch combination on the guitar. As amsdenj stated the Variax model may itself be a model/mag blend of the signals prepared by using  the Workbench HD editing program.

Thanks, I appreciate the response.  Looking forward to getting another Helix, or perhaps, it's successor?

• 2 years later...

It's just a guess, but I think it's entirely possible that either the VDI circuit (when using the RJ45 connection) or the analog circuit is on but should never be both. The VDI gets it's power from the Helix, Variax power supply, or battery, but was never intended to be able to power both digital and analog systems onboard the axe at the same time. They probably designed the current draw for the necessary converters and output amps for the analog out to be shut off when there is no phone plug in the jack, which saves power. There isn't an endless supply of power available, even when plugged in. I also want to do this, but after reading what seems to be a big issue with it, have decided not to go there.

On 11/12/2023 at 11:41 PM, genesound said:

It's just a guess, but I think it's entirely possible that either the VDI circuit (when using the RJ45 connection) or the analog circuit is on but should never be both. The VDI gets it's power from the Helix, Variax power supply, or battery, but was never intended to be able to power both digital and analog systems onboard the axe at the same time. They probably designed the current draw for the necessary converters and output amps for the analog out to be shut off when there is no phone plug in the jack, which saves power. There isn't an endless supply of power available, even when plugged in. I also want to do this, but after reading what seems to be a big issue with it, have decided not to go there.

It is confirmed that you DO NOT want to use both at the same time. It can damage your Variax. It doesn't always but the potential is there.

• Thanks 1