Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

trying to replicate s-gear high gain tone

ip2222

Hi,

I was considering buying HX stomp so downloaded Helix native to get a feel for the platform. I have been trying to replicate one of my favourite high gain tones in s-gear but I am not having much luck. The helix version is very dark and muddy in comparison. I would describe the s-gear version as very crisp and not over saturated. 

I have attached the presets from s-gear and helix, and included a soundcloud clip below. The first part is s-gear then the same recording re-amped with helix. I know that the playing is rubbish but it should give you an idea of the tones I am talking about. I have also included screenshots from s-gear and helix. 

I tried the approach of trying to replicate the same settings from S-gear into Helix. I am sure that this is not the right way to build a tone in helix but I had to start somewhere. 

I would really appreciate any advice on how to recreate the s-gear tone in helix, because right now I am very discourage from buying a helix product.

thanks!

s-gear high gain.sfx

S-gear high gain helix.hlx

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 9.38.11 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 9.39.04 pm.png

You really can't set the settings close to each other and expect it to sound the same. 

The one thing sorely lacking in your Helix tone is mid range.... then I look at your screenshot for the helix and it confirms that. Not only are your mids rolls back dramatically, the EQ on the amp model also has the mids rolled off. I don't really care that the S-Gear is setup that way.... that's what is missing from the Helix model and needs to be added back in! 

The other thing we don't see on the Helix is the CAB model used? The cabinet makes a huge difference. Since this is all "software".... try your Helix AMP model into that S-Gear Cab to see how it sounds. When you do that you can dial in the AMP to sound the same, then you know that's done and just need to match up the cabinet tone. 

There's really no "right" or "wrong" way to create your tones... what works for you will depend heavily on how you're monitoring.... headphones, studio monitors, through a "real" amp/cab, etc. 

I'll echo what's already been said... cab and mic choice make and enormous difference, and merely duplicating settings from another modeling platform guarantees absolutely nothing in terms of tonal continuity.... modelers don't work that way. You just have to experiment, and continue turning knobs until it sounds good. 

20 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Try this. Not exact, but if you mess around a bit more with the eq, you might get closer. I happen to have the Redwires IRs that S-Gear uses, and with the same cab, mics and the 50% Impulse Curve it almost nails it.

S-Gear HiGain Hlx.hlx

I grabbed your preset and tried it out. I liked it!

I went a little off script with it, though, modified a few things more to my guitar and my liking and just spent the past two hours playing on it. It's a keeper. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, bsd512 said:

I grabbed your preset and tried it out. I liked it!

I went a little off script with it, though, modified a few things more to my guitar and my liking and just spent the past two hours playing on it. It's a keeper. Thanks!

Thanks! As I mentioned above, if you've got the Redwirez IRs, you can get even closer to the original S-Gear tone. It's popular these days to dismiss Redwirez as being old tech, but they're a big part of the reason why S-Gear is one of the few sims whose users LOVE it's factory presets. Other companies (IMO) sometimes do better with heavy hi-gain sounds, but Redwirez IRs seem (to me) to have a clarity that the others don't.