Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good acoustic plugin for Variax acoustic models

mrgroovy69

I love my Variax, but I've been underwhelmed by the acoustic models.  The large body models sound too boomy to me, and I get a lot of unwanted string noise from them.  I just ordered a Firehawk FX hoping that the acoustic presets will help (and for many other reasons).  In the meantime, I did find a plug-in that makes the Variax acoustic models sound unbelievably AWESOME!  It's by Waves (sorry Line 6) and it's called Maserati ACG.  It's a mixing/mastering plug-in designed specifically for the acoustic guitar.  It's basically several effects like EQ, compressors, reverb -- all rolled into one package.  I haven't gotten to mess with it too much.  I did go through all the presets though with the different acoustic models.  As usual, some weren't too good, some were ok, and several were awesome.  But the ones that were awesome were truly AWESOME!  The acoustics really shine running through them.

It was $29 and well worth the price I think.  Of course, it tethers you to your DAW (another reason for my getting the Firehawk).

If anyone knows of another plug-in that sounds good with the Variax acoustic models, please post it here.  And also any tips on getting a better sound from the twelve strings.  They sound a little digital to my ears, especially on the lower strings.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a firehawk before my helix and it goes pretty well with the Variax for acoustic stuffs.

You don't talk about that but what about one important thing, The speaker ? I used to play with a Yamaha DBR10 and the result was good (you need an active FRFR speaker, it's a must ;))

I agree with you that the twelve strings (and the alt tuning) sound digital but you can eventually play with workbench to try to tend to a better sound.

I've recorded a song only once and the listening was really good.....

• 2 months later...

I've found that the piezos react to regular electric strings similarly to how an acoustic undersaddle pickup would react to electric strings:  poorly.

The compromise I've found is monel alloy acoustic strings - they're close to acoustic tension but are fully magnetic and work perfectly with the regular pickups.  Martin Retro monel 10s come with a wound third, and I've found that makes the models sound more authentic and reduces the ghost fret noise a bit.  

Stock 12 string is a matter of context.  In a mix most don’t seem bad but when exposed for something like the opening to “Hotel California” they can use some work.  

For me it’s a matter of connecting Workbench HD then tweaking guitar body types and mic placement referencing similar full range amplification or input capture I expect to use live or recording.  

This way I’ve manage to get it pretty close and more than acceptable for live work.  

Lighter gentle attack is generally better.