Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Bose L1. Need help

dprockstar

My helix direct to my Bose sounds fuzzy and bad.  I set outputs to line and tried direct to aux in and tone match pod setting.  I have to be doing something simple wrong but don’t know what it is.  Thx in advance for the forthcoming help. 

There are dozens of threads dealing with how to dial in patches for FRFR speakers... search around a bit and you'll read for days. Youtube is also a good resource on the subject. Check out Jason Sadites' channel for Helix- specific tutorials. 

13 hours ago, dprockstar said:

tried direct to aux in and tone match pod setting

Did BOSE set up that tonamatch with a HELIX or an older POD such as the X3 or HD? I don't consider the Helix a POD myself... but maybe it still qualifies. 

Regardless, I would not use a "tonematch" setting on the BOSE. Have you ever used a car stereo with "Classic, Jazz, Rock & POP" as EQ settings. I don't use those either. I set that to flat and adjust the EQ the way I want. IMO tonematch is the same idea... a pre-fixed EQ curve and you don't know what exactly is happening under the hood. 

IMO.... If there is a setting for FLAT in that tone match anywhere, that is where I would start. 

I've done this, you should be able to set the L1 'flat' in the preset section, and just make sure you aren't overdriving the input of the L1.  My other guitar player has it, and while its a decent system, it can get harsh on the top end, and I'd imagine if your clipping the input level, its gonna make it worse. 

Also make sure your using a Cab or IR in your preset as the L1 really wont supply that type of EQ to your sound well.

I've used the Bose systems for certain venues for years, mainly the L1 Model II, and it always sounds fantastic(POD HD's and the Helix). I BYPASS the tone match and run 1/4" out direct into the analog input on the base with trim at 12:00. Use the volume knob on your Helix to set your room volume level. Which model L1 are you using - the compact, model I, or model II?

I've used model I and II but not the compact. I usually run stereo into two bases so it sounds HUGE and BEAUTIFUL. 

Let me know.