Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Correct size of the truss adjustment wrench?

Sipu

what's supposed to be the correct size of the truss rod adjustment wrench on the Shuriken SR270, the 4mm one that came with the guitar feels a bit loose and 4.5mm is too much (doesn't fit). I also have an inch-set but i couldn't find a proper one from those either?

27 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

4mm.

Thanks, but the 4mm wrench is not a snug fit, it is a bit loose. Generally you should use a wrench that fits the nut perfectly.

Is it "normal" that the 4mm wrench doesn't quite match the nut (has considerable wobble)?

2 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

Not really, just part of the hex wrench kit that comes with the guitars. ;)

i've tried several including the one that comes with the guitar and measured them all using a caliper to make sure they're 4mm. I'll open a support ticket for line6, maybe my guitar is defective then...

This isn't the first time I'm doing guitar maintenance. I can surely tell when the wrench is in place and when it is not. On my other 4 guitars the wrench is a perfect fit.  This is the first guitar I've owned where i don't feel like adjusting the truss because I cannot find a tool to match the nut. I don't want to cause damage to my instrument or my tools.

In the photo, the nut looked good. In the video, it looked like the wrench may not have been snug in the nut all the way.

It sometimes feels like it's all the way in, but actually might not be. It's a bit of a tight access port, and something I've gotten

used to when servicing these guitars.

5 hours ago, psarkissian said:

In the photo, the nut looked good. In the video, it looked like the wrench may not have been snug in the nut all the way.

It sometimes feels like it's all the way in, but actually might not be. It's a bit of a tight access port, and something I've gotten

used to when servicing these guitars.

I cannot get the wrench to go any further, i can see it's in the hole. It's definitely not tight. Here's some pics of the official wrench in the hole https://imgur.com/a/cvpTBIv

Also a longer video clip. I'm finding it really difficult to believe i'm doing this wrong. The wrench goes in the hole effortlessly and has a LOT of travel, but it doesn't rotate fully because the hex angles hit the walls of the nut. In any case i don't think this is how it's supposed to be.

It should be snug and not have travel. It may not be in all the way as you might think.

I go through this myself all the time with a host of guitars with the rod adjust access on the body

side of the neck,... it feels like it's in, but it isn't.

It won't do a 360 rotation because it's what's known as a dual action rod or dual rod (upper, lower).

https://line6.com/find/service_center/

For the authorized service center near you. Check the category for ones that also do guitars.