Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Effects Loop is clipping my HX Effects effects loop return

kburks1230

So I've followed the guide and set up a very vanilla 4 cable method patch with delay and reverb after the send/return block. All the cables are routed properly into my Dr Z utilizing the effects loop as per Line 6 documentation and videos. The issue I'm having is something is screwing with the delays & reverbs where they are reverberating more distorted sounds than went in on the dry signal when you strum hard and push the front end of the amp. It's like the effects loop is clipping the return on the HX effects. I hear the unmusical distortion more in the delay repeats. I've tried setting the send/return 1 to both line level and instrument level and each presents two separate problems. If set to instrument level I get a big volume drop and lose the dynamics on the front end of my Z Plus amp. If I set the send/return 1 to line level I get the clipping issue. Does anyone know what's going on here? If I plug direct into the amp I get gorgeous tone and I'm getting a little discouraged.

My Dr Z has an unbuffered send and a buffered return on it's effects loop. 

Anyone have experience that could help?

18 hours ago, kburks1230 said:

If set to instrument level I get a big volume drop and lose the dynamics on the front end of my Z Plus amp....

.... If I plug direct into the amp I get gorgeous tone and I'm getting a little discouraged.

You should have the loop set to instrument level so it feeds your amp correctly. If it not hitting the amp the same as going direct that means you have a problem with your gain staging prior to the loop. There is an effect (or two) that is always on, and turned down too low.

If you don't want to mess around with the gain staging issue then there is still an easy fix. The SEND and RETURN in a loop have separate levels. Simply turn up the SEND so it hits your amp to the same level going direct does. That would be a "one setting fix" for the gain staging problem. 

18 hours ago, kburks1230 said:

If I set the send/return 1 to line level I get the clipping issue.

IMO... I wouldn't use line level here, but if you like the sound of the AMP this way and just want to tame the return level why not turn down the return level in the loop? Taking it back to somewhere between -6 and -12 should solve the issue. 

After thinking this thru Im wondering if I need to pad down the incoming fx loop input on the HX and turn up the HX fx loop send output to balance it back out so it hits the amp phase inverter with the same amount of signal as going direct but at the same time no clipping on the line 6 inputs would happen. What do you think of that idea?

1 hour ago, kburks1230 said:

What do you think of that idea?

Different lingo, but that was the second option I provided :) 

It's not the route I would go, but if it's easier for you and you are confident it would work, then go for it!

I have somewhat of a hard time believing you're actually clipping the HX Effects' return... It's not outside the realm of possibilities, but you'd have to be running your amp's preamp really hot for it to happen. The fact that you say your hear clipping in the delay repeats makes me think it could be something else. Are you using the Vintage Digital Delay model per chance?

• 1 year later...

Wish this thread was continued. I have the same issue with Helix and no matter what I do, the clipping keeps happening. FX Loop Block is red. I had talked to Line 6 and they said this was a known issue and it would be addressed in the next update, but that update just came out and no fix. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I use fx loop for all of my post effects. I’ve had this issue before. Depending on what you have in the effects loop, one is pushing too much signal through. My H9 as well as my Iridium did this and it took me weeks to get them figured out. Once I fixed it I realized it happening again a few weeks later so I went in to the fx loop block and reduced the send volume and then brought it back up in the return and it’s been fine since. Don’t know if that’s the preferred way to fix the clipping but it’s worked for me. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this helps, but i have a similar issue.

I use several gain pedals in my stomp FX loop and i notice clipping too.

Although i only see the FX loop block turning red, i can't really hear any significant clipping.

However, in my case it clips the most if no pedal is turned on OR a pedal with very low gain.

When there is lot of gain/compression from the pedal, there is usually no clipping.

I tried lowering the fx block send volume by 4 dB and increasing the return volume by 4 dB,

this eliminates the clipping but alters the sound because the drive pedals are then hit with a different input volume...

• 2 weeks later...

I was having the same issue 

even when I wanted to record on my computer I would hear the clipping until I found the mixer setting on the hx stomp you will find this when you have an stereo chain 

so what I did is reduce the level A and level B to where I dont hear the clipping no more 

hope this works for you too

FECAB739-C3F6-4002-A384-58B3785C93DB.jpeg

I have quite a similar issue with HX Effects connected with 4CM to my Boss Nextone Artist.

when I use an effects loop block in my chain, the volume drops drastically and the tone gets much brighter.

even if there is nothing else but the effects loop block in the chain.

When disabled the volume gets back to normal so it definitely the EL that mess things up.

I thought the effects loop would be totally neutral.

what can I do?

• 1 month later...

If you're encountering the same thing as I did, then check your Global Settings for Ins/Outs. They default to Inst, which is a hotter signal than Line. Switch your effects send and return to Line and that might help. Note that if you install a Firmware update, you might end up with the default Inst levels again. I'm still figuring out how to get that one right.