Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
josegermain

HX Edit "no device connected" problem. Help please.

Recommended Posts

Bought an helix last month that was running 2.30 and decided to update firmware and install it as my interface.I Downloaded the latest HX Edit 2.71 , everything seemed to install fine. The Helix is now updated to 2.71 and works as my interface.The problem is only related to HX edit. Every time I tried to open it, it shutdown quick and shows the " no device connected" message.

Any clues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally speaking this typically comes down to the USB cable or the way the USB cable is connected to the computer.  The Helix connection doesn't work well with non-direct USB ports, and not all ports on a computer are direct.  Some are typically slaved.  That's where I'd start.  Try different USB ports on the computer and see if that fixes it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, josegermain said:

Bought an helix last month that was running 2.30 and decided to update firmware and install it as my interface.I Downloaded the latest HX Edit 2.71 , everything seemed to install fine. The Helix is now updated to 2.71 and works as my interface.The problem is only related to HX edit. Every time I tried to open it, it shutdown quick and shows the " no device connected" message.

Any clues?

 

Hi,

 

As suggested by “DunedinDragon” in the post above - the first thing to check is the USB connections and cables. It’s not unknown for what was working perfectly one minute to totally screw up the next.

 

As you mention the problem seems to be only related to HX Edit. I may be that when you installed the latest version 2.71 that there is still an older previous version of the Edit software on your computer. If the older version is launching instead of the new one it could cause this problem. Delete any older versions.

 

If none of this fixes the problem you could try a factory reset to try and clear any bugs:

 

Helix Floor/LT: Turn unit off and then back on. Hold in Footswitches 9 +10 right after you turn the unit on, throughout the boot process, until you see that your factory presets are loading.

 

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help but ,  i already tested all ports with no results and did the factory reset. Also, i just opened line 6 audio midi devices and  it says " no device connected" aswell.  I do have sound coming from it but the " no device connected " message is showing in those 2 places ( HX Edit and Line 6 audio midi devices ) 

Any more ideas on how to make it work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, josegermain said:

Thanks for the help but ,  i already tested all ports with no results and did the factory reset. Any more ideas on how to make it work? 

 

Hi,

 

I have just had another read through of you first post. In that you say that managed to update your Helix and you can use it as an interface, so if it can be seen by your computer as an audio/MIDI device then the USB must be working O.K.

 

If the Helix can get sound in and out of your computer then only logical conclusion is that the issue must be with the HX Edit software. Maybe the best thing would be to go back to the download page and grab a fresh copy of HX Edit v2.71 for your computer system and install a fresh copy.

 

I suppose next you will tell me that you tried that and ...

 

Nothing to lose - give it a shot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i will do that right now.   Also, i just opened line 6 audio midi devices and  it says " no device connected" aswell, so it's not getting recognized there and by HX Edit, but i do have sounds coming in with no problem , music , videos, etc. 

I will uninstall everything and start from there. Any recomendations in the process?  Do i need to have the helix powered off the whole time right ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, josegermain said:

Yeah i will do that right now.   Also, i just opened line 6 audio midi devices and  it says " no device connected" aswell, so it's not getting recognized there and by HX Edit, but i do have sounds coming in with no problem , music , videos, etc. 

I will uninstall everything and start from there. Any recomendations in the process?  Do i need to have the helix powered off the whole time right ?

 

 

Hi,

 

Now I’m a little confused because I thought that you already had your Helix working as an audio interface? If your computer can not detect that the Helix is connected then it may be that you still have a problem with the USB. Also you say that you do have sound, music, videos etc., coming in. 

 

Where and how is this stuff coming in? And what is it coming into? How are you listening to it?

 

It would help to know what computer and operating system you are using to connect to the Helix. Is it a Windows PC or a Mac, or Linux?

 

It may be a good idea to uninstall and start again, but that’s not going to be easy if you cannot get USB to connect, so yes your Helix MUST be powered ON for the entire process!

 

You didn’t mention what computer system you are using, but no matter, simply follow this procedure and all should be fine.

 

When you are ready to start the update - from your web browser, navigate to the Line 6 downloads page, then you should select HX Edit under the All Software tab and then whatever version of Mac/Windows you are using from All OS on the dropdown menus. This will take you to the correct download page for version 2.71 Update Firmware. This is the only thing you need to download.

 

When you download and install the new HX Edit package it will also install the latest Line6 Updater v1.15 and any other drivers etc., that you may need. After the new HX Edit software has been installed, reboot your computer. Doing a clean install should clear any glitches that were linking to any previous versions of the software you may have inadvertently installed.

 

When you’ve done this, you can use the new HXEdit v2.71 to make a complete backup of all the presets on your Helix hardware. You will be able to tell that this is the latest Editor because in the lower left corner there is a new button labelled “My Account”. Next, shutdown HX Edit and ensure it is no longer running, this should avoid any USB conflict. Now you can launch the new Line 6 Updater v1.15, (you can click the about button to check the details if necessary). If all your USB connections are good the Updater should see your Helix hardware. Login using the new Updater, you can now proceed with the firmware upgrade over your internet connection. Do not disconnect or turn off the power to your Helix during this process. When completed your Helix will reboot and rebuild the presets, then you are good to go, no hardware reset is required.

 

Hope this makes sense/helps.

 

If not - here’s a video of a guy doing the update on v2.60 firmware to give you an idea of how easy it is.

 

 


 

 
  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It works as an interface to the extent of listening to music with heaphones, for example, but it's not being detected by line 6  audio midi devices and HX Edit.

In my case , after installing drivers and opening the updater for firmware updating, it tell me that servers detect a new version available and to upgrade to the latest line 6 updater wich is v1.16 , not v1.15. Maybe i will avoid that next time? 

I'm running windows 10.

Will do the reinstall a bit later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, josegermain said:

It works as an interface to the extent of listening to music with heaphones, for example, but it's not being detected by line 6  audio midi devices and HX Edit.

In my case , after installing drivers and opening the updater for firmware updating, it tell me that servers detect a new version available and to upgrade to the latest line 6 updater wich is v1.16 , not v1.15. Maybe i will avoid that next time? 

I'm running windows 10.

Will do the reinstall a bit later.

 

 

Sorry, I copy and pasted those instructions from another post I made in another thread and I must have listed the previous version of the Updater Application. The version 2.71 HX Edit package is the only thing you need to download and that will install the latest Updater software.

 

I still don’t understand how it is possible for you to listen to music from your computer with headphones plugged into your Helix if your computer doesn’t know the Helix is connected. Now that you have told me that you are using Windows 10 on your PC, I suspect some of this may be a problem with the driver, which may need to be fixed. Windows is not my thing, but I think you may need to mess with the ASIO settings in the device manger.

 

hope this makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah , it's weird. Should i left the helix connected via usb and powered up the whole time when re installing drivers?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, josegermain said:

 

I'm running windows 10.

 

 

I found this thread about HX Edit crashing on Windows 10 systems - you might want to check it out and see if it helps you.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, josegermain said:

Yeah , it's weird. Should i left the helix connected via usb and powered up the whole time when re installing drivers?

Thanks!

 

Yes the Helix MUST be powered ON throughout the entire update. Also avoid using the USB ports on the front of your PC, they act like a hub and the Helix doesn’t work properly through a hub. Use the USB ports on the rear of the PC.

Edit:

Furthermore, your Helix must be powered on in order to use the HX Edit application - it is a real time editor and has to be able to access the controllers inside the Helix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The helix is already updated to 2.71. That part worked fine but im asking if i need to have it  powered on and connected via usb while reinstalling the v2.71 installer?

Maybe i lollipoped up that part because i remember that when i was  installing the drivers i didn't connect the usb cable to my helix on the first minutes of the process.

Updating worked fine, and of course , the helix was powered on while updating.

 I'll reinstall now.Thanks for the help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reinstalled with the same results. I heard that some people had the same problem with 2.71 , maybe if i go with 2.70 it will work? 

I discovered that if i go to my daw,  it recognizes helix as my interface and let me change buffer size or bit rate and i can open the helix control panel but it seems that a few things are not listed ( asio client and default buffer size ) also i  can't find helix control panel in the start menu. Weird. 

Maybe if i try it with another computer will help me identify the cause of the problem.  I had a pod hd 500 and an x3 pro working in this computer with zero problems. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, josegermain said:

Reinstalled with the same results. I heard that some people had the same problem with 2.71 , maybe if i go with 2.70 it will work? 

I discovered that if i go to my daw,  it recognizes helix as my interface and let me change buffer size or bit rate and i can open the helix control panel but it seems that a few things are not listed ( asio client and default buffer size ) also i  can't find helix control panel in the start menu. Weird. 

Maybe if i try it with another computer will help me identify the cause of the problem.  I had a pod hd 500 and an x3 pro working in this computer with zero problems. 

 

 

Other people have had the same problem of “no device connected” - check this thread to see if there is anything that may help. Someone suggested a Windows fix from Microsoft?

 

https://line6.com/support/topic/38786-no-device-connected/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 6:14 PM, DunedinDragon said:

The Helix connection doesn't work well with non-direct USB ports

 

This is something of an understatement! I get constant lockups on my HX Effects, and less frequent on my Helix when connecting to both through any USB hub (tried 4 different ones). This is definitely a bug that needs fixing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, yrebrac said:

This is something of an understatement! I get constant lockups on my HX Effects, and less frequent on my Helix when connecting to both through any USB hub (tried 4 different ones). This is definitely a bug that needs fixing.

 

Hi,

 

DunedinDragon stated: “The Helix connection doesn't work well with non-direct USB ports“. Non-direct USB ports = USB hub.

 

Sadly you have fallen into the trap of using a USB Hub, in fact you used 4, and concluded that this is a bug.

 

So, no sorry, it’s not a “bug” as such - the issue about using a hub are well documented and are usually the one of the first things mentioned when troubleshooting connection problems. In fact this “hub problem” was written about, in English, German and French as far back as November 2006 in this specific article:

 

Hope this clarifies the USB Hub issue for you.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If i want to roll back the drivers ,to pinpoint the source of the problems one by one, what are the right steps?

 

Run the updater and go from firmware 2.71( current ) to 2.70 or maybe older.

Uninstall drivers ( all ?)  and reinstall the HX Edit Installer that corresponds with the downgraded firmware.

Is that right? 

I will also install the Helix on another computer to check if the same problem persist. It looks like your tipical windows 10 / driver related stuff.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, josegermain said:

If i want to roll back the drivers ,to pinpoint the source of the problems one by one, what are the right steps?

 

Run the updater and go from firmware 2.71( current ) to 2.70 or maybe older.

Uninstall drivers ( all ?)  and reinstall the HX Edit Installer that corresponds with the downgraded firmware.

Is that right? 

I will also install the Helix on another computer to check if the same problem persist. It looks like your tipical windows 10 / driver related stuff.

 

Thanks!

 

 

O.K. Jose, here is what I suggest. Remove any installed drivers that you think are troublesome then download and do a clean install of just the Line 6 Helix driver.

 

Important - Install the driver with out your Helix being connected.

 

Go to the Line 6 Downloads page and from the first drop down menu, scroll down and select “Helix”, from the second select “Drivers” and from the third select “Windows 10”, click “Go”. The driver required for Windows 10 is first on the list - the one released way back in September 2018 and is listed as Line 6 Driver2, version 1.91. This should work with either 2.70 (The Marketplace Update) or 2.71, which was supposed to be only a minor “bug fix” revision.

 

Try this first to see if it fixes the problem with 2.71, if it doesn’t work, you can always roll back to firmware 2.70.

 

Have a look at this video - especially the section about v.2.6 driver installation to see if it helps!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah , I did install  just the Line 6 Helix driver ( v1.91) with the same results. I'll roll back the helix firmware to 2.60 , uninstall drivers ( hx edit and v1.91) and install the drivers that works with the 2.60 firmware.

 

I uploaded a pic of the "events" windows of the helix driver that took for friend that knows a bit of this problems.

"requiere más instalación " translate to , requires more installation.    I don't know if that helps . 

1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, josegermain said:

 

I uploaded a pic of the "events" windows of the helix driver that took for friend that knows a bit of this problems.

"requiere más instalación " translate to , requires more installation.    I don't know if that helps . 

 

 

Hola de nuevo,

 

My Spanish is limited, but using the usual on line translation services, it looks to me as if the installation was successful. I found a reference (in English) about the “requiere más instalación” (requires more installation) here:

 

http://kb.esi.ms/KB00234EN

 

For the moment I would suggest that you revert to v2.6 that works and, hopefully, the new 2.80 firmware will be out soon and you can simply update to that without problems.

 

hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! will do that.

Another pic of that events windows of the controller shows this.

device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

20190704_012048.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man,  these 2.8 update threads  got me confused haha. 

What order do i need to follow to roll back firmware ?

My helix is running 2.71 i want to go to 2.60 to see if that fixes the problem

 

1) run my current updater and roll back to 2.60

2) unistall everything ( drivers, hx edit , updater)

3) install everything ,  in this case  HX Edit V2.60,  wich contains all right?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, josegermain said:

Bump!

 

Hi,

 

i thought that that you would simply upgrade to v2.80 now that it is available?

 

In order to update to v2.80 you only need to go to the Line 6 download page and from the “- All Software -” tab select HX Edit, the from the “- All OS -“ tab  select Windows 10, next click the “GO” button. This will take you to the latest version download.

 

THIS IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD! 

 

Go here and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS in the first post and then READ THE RELEASE NOTES in the link!

 

It’s easy!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that would be the most logical way but  im kinda scared reading all these problems related to the 2.8 update so i want to first make sure that i can get it working properly with a previous firmware and then jump to 2.8. I can't open HX edit and it seems that you need to open HX edit to update to 2.8, if i'm not mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, josegermain said:

Yeah that would be the most logical way but  im kinda scared reading all these problems related to the 2.8 update so i want to first make sure that i can get it working properly with a previous firmware and then jump to 2.8. I can't open HX edit and it seems that you need to open HX edit to update to 2.8, if i'm not mistaken.

 

Hola Jose,

 

If you are ever going to update you will eventually get to the point where it will be 2.80, so why not now.?

 

Anyhow, we have been through all of this previously and I am still very confused about this problem.

 

You say that your Helix hardware is updated to v.2.71 - if that is correct then it will state that information on screen as it boots and also you can see it in the Global settings.

If you hardware is on 2.71 then you HX Edit application should be named HX Edit 2.71 - it this is any other version then IT WILL NOT WORK! The HX Edit software is included in the package that you downloaded to allow you to update the Firmware in  the Helix unit. The drivers for you Windows 10 machine are also included in the package for the update.

 

If you think that the issue is with the drivers remove the ones on your computer and then download the 2.71 installer again, this will put in the new drivers. Find all older versions of the HX Edit application and trash them so that you only have HX Edit 2.71 available. Restart your computer and connect to the Helix unit with a good USB cable and port (NO HUB). Now when you launch HX Edit 2.71 it should connect to your hardware device.

 

If this does not work I am sorry, but I don't know what else to suggest except go to v2.80 firmware, take a deep breath and pray!

 

Maybe you know a 14 year old kid who hacks computers and phones who could do it.   ;-)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Datacommando!

The reason i don't want to go to 2.8 at  the moment is to avoid any further troubles that might add to the ones that i already have. Eventually i will go to 2.8, for sure.

As you said,  my helix hardware (LT) was updated succesfully to v.2.7.1. from  2.30. That update process was done via the line 6  updater . That was the only thing that i clicked to update from 2.30 to 2.71, after installing HX Edit 2.71 and it's components.The unit was never connected to this computer before that.

 I can listen to music , the pc recognize it but i can't open "HX edit" ,  because it says no device connected. Another thing is that i can't find  helix control panel. With the Pod X3 and Pod HD you can find it under  midi audio devices and configure sample rate etc. Now i can only access the helix control panel in my DAW, i don't know if that is normal or not. It's almost like the unit is being half recognized by the computer, because the updater detects it but not HX edit. 

I already did a few reinstalls. I need to test another cable and maybe another usb port ( no hub of course )  but i already tested 2 of them. I don't have much free time for troubleshooting stuff but today finally i do. It sounds awesome and i can't wait to be able to edit my patches with HX edit and load my IR's.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 9:16 PM, josegermain said:

I can't open HX edit and it seems that you need to open HX edit to update to 2.8, if i'm not mistaken.

 

NO!

 

You install the HX Edit 2.8 update which also includes the correct drivers and installer. 

You run the INSTALLER to update the Helix.... and you must do that WITHOUT HX Edit being open. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi codamedia,  yeah i know that you can't have the 2 open at the same time. Never opened both at the same time btw.

 The problem  is more related as to why the Updater picks up the helix but the HX Edit doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, josegermain said:

 

 The problem  is more related as to why the Updater picks up the helix but the HX Edit doesn't.

 

 

Hi once more Jose,

 

This situation is crazy!

 

I have re-read this entire thread many times and it appears that we have covered absolutely all the things that would normally fix your Helix/HX Edit issues. I really cannot think of anything else to suggest and being thousands of miles away with out having “hands on” makes this extremely difficult to diagnose and fix.

 

I have one final thing to suggest.

 

In your very first post, you stated that you are using the Helix as an interface. You don’t say if anything other than a guitar/Variax is connected? If you have something connected to the Helix MIDI ports, then it could possibly interfere with communication during the Firmware update process. Disconnect the MIDI plugs from the back of your Helix during updates.

 

If that’s not the problem, then I am very sorry that I have nothing else to offer which may solve this, other than contact Line 6 support.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One question,  i was supposed  to install hx edit 2.30 before updating my unit to 2.71 in the first place ?

i didn't do that. I installed   HX edit 2.71 on my pc ( drivers, hx edit , and updater ) connected the helix, opened the updater and finished the update process with no problems.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, josegermain said:

One question,  i was supposed  to install hx edit 2.30 before updating my unit to 2.71 in the first place ?

i didn't do that. I installed   HX edit 2.71 on my pc ( drivers, hx edit , and updater ) connected the helix, opened the updater and finished the update process with no problems.

 

 

 

Hi,

 

More confusion for me?

 

In your first post you said that when you bought your Helix it already had v2.3 firmware installed. That is correct? Yes.

 

Then you downloaded and installed v2.71 on the Helix which worked fine on the unit. That is correct? Yes.

 

When you go to open HX Edit it shows “No Device Connected” and shuts down. That is correct? Yes.

 

That information would seem to indicate a communication error over the USB or trying to use the wrong version of HX Edit.

 

You say that the version of HX Edit is v2.71. That is correct? Yes.

 

The logical conclusion must be that there is a problem with the USB link.

 

The solution for that is to try another cable in another USB port - use one on the rear of your PC because the ones on the front act like a hub! 

 

Once you can connect to your hardware Helix you can update to 2.80 or revert to version 2.70. Once connected to the Helix you need to run the Line 6 Updater program. When it launches you should see the graphic of the Helix in a dark green panel and below that the versions of the firmware available to install. Choose v2.70 and proceed with the installation. When it has finished find HX Edit v2.70 and use that to link to your Helix. Delete any other copies of HX Edit that are not v2.7.0.  During the entire installation process, ensure that no other Line 6 applications are running, also make sure all audio applications are closed and disconnect anything that may interfere with the installation.

 

I am really sorry that I have nothing else to offer.

 

I am very confused with the information you are giving about this.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Essentialy the same problem here.

Upto firmware version 2.70 everything worked perfect.

I can update the Helix to firmware to 2.71 and 2.80.  With those versions installed however, HX edit mentions no device connected and the application closes a few seconds after startup.

Helix can be seen as a connected device under Windwos 8 though and audio is transfered under usb as well.

Back to firmware 2.70 (only with the previous updater) HX edit can connect to Helix again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snakefuture said:

Essentialy the same problem here.

Upto firmware version 2.70 everything worked perfect.

I can update the Helix to firmware to 2.71 and 2.80.  With those versions installed however, HX edit mentions no device connected and the application closes a few seconds after startup.

Helix can be seen as a connected device under Windwos 8 though and audio is transfered under usb as well.

Back to firmware 2.70 (only with the previous updater) HX edit can connect to Helix again.

 

 

Hi,

 

I seem to have exhausted all the options in my attempt to fix the issues that are happening to Jose (above), so I really am not able to assist you. You are describing the same faults as things mentioned in another thread from earlier this year - even though it does seem to be unresolved, maybe you could find some clues there.

Here is a link:

 

The only other thing to do is contact Line 6 Customer Support for assistance.

 

Sorry I’m unable to offer any help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep already had v2.3 firmware installed on the "HELIX" when i bought it. Question is,  if i needed to install hx edit 2.3 on my "PC" before going to 2.71 or going straight to 2.71 is ok ? Hope that's more clear.

Finally got a hold of 2 more usb cables to try. It seems  this is related to a cable,  usb port deal so let's hope it works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, josegermain said:

Yep already had v2.3 firmware installed on the "HELIX" when i bought it. Question is,  if i needed to install hx edit 2.3 on my "PC" before going to 2.71 or going straight to 2.71 is ok ? Hope that's more clear.

Finally got a hold of 2 more usb cables to try. It seems  this is related to a cable,  usb port deal so let's hope it works!

 

Hi Jose,

 

When you bought your Helix it had v2.3 Firmware installed. If you had changed something on the hardware unit that you needed to make a backup of then that back up should be made with HX Edit 2.3.

 

You said that you had managed to install FW 2.71 onto the hardware Helix. That replaced any previous presets from 2.3. The only way to Edit any of  presets on your Helix is by using HX Edit 2.71 No other version will connect to the Hardware while it is using FW 2.71.

 

Your problem is that your computer is failing to connect to the Helix.

 

The logical reason for that is because:

a) Wrong version of HX Edit

b) Bad USB connection

c) combination of both of the above 

 

I am really very sorry that you are experiencing these problems, but I am simply going round in circles and we are no nearer a solution. I really wish I was there to deal with it hands on, but no.

 

It is now 1am and I need a beer and sleep - over and out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×