Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX effects 4CM disappoint user

em07189

Hello to everyone!

Well im 50% disappointed with the HX effects, i bought it to use with my amps but the thing in 4 CM sucks tone, feel and dynamics from my marhall.

The purpose of the unit was to give and add effects to real analog amps, not to suck the tone, feel and Dynamics.

And from what i found the problem of the unit comes from the guitar input section or and from the output of the unit to the input jack of the amp. Because when i put my guitar jack directly to the input of the amp and use the unit in the effects loops the amp gets back the Dynamics and feel.

Im still using the unit with this kind of 2 cable method and midi, but its very bad job from line6 in the design of the unit and released to a market where the users love and knows his analog amps, and that very picky to units that suck tone feel and Dynamics.

36 minutes ago, em07189 said:

Hello to everyone!

Well im 50% disappointed with the HX effects, i bought it to use with my amps but the thing in 4 CM sucks tone, feel and dynamics from my marhall.

The purpose of the unit was to give and add effects to real analog amps, not to suck the tone, feel and Dynamics.

And from what i found the problem of the unit comes from the guitar input section or and from the output of the unit to the input jack of the amp. Because when i put my guitar jack directly to the input of the amp and use the unit in the effects loops the amp gets back the Dynamics and feel.

Im still using the unit with this kind of 2 cable method and midi, but its very bad job from line6 in the design of the unit and released to a market where the users love and knows his analog amps, and that very picky to units that suck tone feel and Dynamics.

So what you're saying is that it sucks tone, feel, and dynamics? ;)

The point of the 4CM is to allow you to place some FX before your amp's input, and others after the preamp section and tone stack. Without more info about exactly what you have in the HX signal chain, and which ones are before or after the amp, nobody will be able to help you much. It's possible that by rearranging a few things, you might get better results... there are plenty of guys using HX FX with tube amps in 4CM, who are perfectly happy with it.

It sounds like you may have a connection not right if you have the output of the HX Effects connected to the input of the amp with the 4CM. You’d typically have the FX Send connected to the amp input. Do you have an FX Loop block in your HX Effects preset?

Ok , after checking every connection again, i found that i have a bad patch cable before the guitar signal entered the HX effects input. After repacled the bad patch cable for a good one it seems that everything its ok now.

Sorry line6, my fault here, for not checking out for bad cables. 

• 1 year later...

Hi, I don't know if you still need help or not but I'm gone through the same thing with the boss gt-1000. It's not possible to have the feel of the amp because when your signal gets into the unit is converted to digital. Therefore you loose the feel because it's not your real guitar signal coming out and there's also some added latency. Unfortunately I think this will never work as it should because it's probably not possible to convert your signal and still have the amp feel which is an analog thing. Hope this helps!

3 hours ago, leandrobremer said:

... Unfortunately I think this will never work as it should because it's probably not possible to convert your signal and still have the amp feel which is an analog thing. Hope this helps!

It is working as it should. Amp modellers are designed to replicate the sound and ‘feel’ of a mic’d amp in the studio control room. That’s the sound that you hear on recordings. You are right that there’s a difference between that and the ‘amp in the room’ feel. But the modeller is working as it should; it’s not designed to reproduce the amp in the room feeling.