Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Choppy notes for certain amp models

OrangeBlackstar

Hello All, 

I currently have an HX stomp and am interested in purchasing a Helix. However, I keep having an issue with the stomp that I would like to figure out the solution to prior to purchasing a helix, that way i can ensure that this issue won't come up again. 

I play higher gain material (gojira, slipknot), and have noticed an issue with a few of the amp models, most notably the PV Panama. For rhythm material it sounds great, but for anything on the higher strings it instantly sounds very choppy and ice picky (not in a good way). 

Below are two audio files of me playing roughly the same thing. One is with the PV amp, another is with one of the JCM models. As you can hear, the PV is very choppy, while the JCM has a more natural sound to it. Any idea on how to fix this? 

I'm not palm muting in any weird way or anything, as this would then apply to both models. I'm using external pedals, but they were on for both presets. I'm using 3rd party IRs, but both presets are utilizing the same one. 

My first thought was perhaps digital clipping, but that wouldn't make much sense. The JCM preset's output is actually louder than the PV preset. Just for confirmation, I turned down the output for the PV to like -20db and the issue was still there. Any and all input is greatly appreciated. 

I know this unit is capable of great tones, I just need to get past this issue. New Idea_1#01PV.aif

New Idea_1#02JCM.aif

The PV Panama is not one of Helix's shining stars.

Don't get stuck on an amp because it's based on something in the "Real World".

Use the amp that works best for your needs in a given situation, and don't be afraid of using EQs, IRs, mic placement, etc..

On the Stomp that takes up extra blocks. Good reason to get a full size Helix.

I don't really use either of those amp models that much, but I have used them in the past.  My experience was much the same with the Peavey, but it was easily resolved with using a nice mic combination of a 409 dynamic and 121 ribbon mic as well as some tweaking of the sag and bias to give it a more natural sound.  I also kind of remember cutting down the drive parameter quite a bit compared to what it would normally be on the real amp in order to get better articulation into the sound.  I didn't use if for long as some of the newer models tended to be MUCH better and easier to dial in.  I think most people who were fans of the Peavey have tended to adopt the Badonk as a better replacement.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, OrangeBlackstar said:

Hello All, 

I currently have an HX stomp and am interested in purchasing a Helix. However, I keep having an issue with the stomp that I would like to figure out the solution to prior to purchasing a helix, that way i can ensure that this issue won't come up again. 

I play higher gain material (gojira, slipknot), and have noticed an issue with a few of the amp models, most notably the PV Panama. For rhythm material it sounds great, but for anything on the higher strings it instantly sounds very choppy and ice picky (not in a good way). 

Below are two audio files of me playing roughly the same thing. One is with the PV amp, another is with one of the JCM models. As you can hear, the PV is very choppy, while the JCM has a more natural sound to it. Any idea on how to fix this? 

I'm not palm muting in any weird way or anything, as this would then apply to both models. I'm using external pedals, but they were on for both presets. I'm using 3rd party IRs, but both presets are utilizing the same one. 

My first thought was perhaps digital clipping, but that wouldn't make much sense. The JCM preset's output is actually louder than the PV preset. Just for confirmation, I turned down the output for the PV to like -20db and the issue was still there. Any and all input is greatly appreciated. 

I know this unit is capable of great tones, I just need to get past this issue. New Idea_1#01PV.aif

New Idea_1#02JCM.aif

it may be a good idea to post up your signal path? 

do you apply high and low cuts to the Cabs / IRs?