Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Momentary Switch Bug

peternadeau

I'm not sure if this was the correct place to log a bug but I found one with the momentary switches.  If you are holding down the momentary switch and simultaneously selecting a different preset, the switch will always stay active and you lose control of the switch

Edited by peternadeau
I wasn’t clear with my description

Hmmm... Not sure if I’d call that a bug or not as I’m not sure what I’d expect when changing presets. I wouldn’t expect the Helix to track the status of a switch through a preset change. It would set all the switch to the state they were in when the preset was saved. So if you have a switch depressed when the preset is changed, and then release, it’s interpreting that release as a toggle of that switch, thus turning that effect on.

I should correct myself, the logic doesn’t invert. It always stays on. I can never turn it off unless I reload the preset.  

To give a little context, I use it as a momentary volume boost for solos and lead lines.  It’s rare but sometimes I’ll have it depressed and change presets to attempt to be fancy and transition in to the next song. When this happens, the volume boost always stays on.

• 3 months later...

Well, to give a little bit of context here,

The same happens to me if I am pressing the momentary switch and I step on a SNAPSHOT button at the same time.

So yes, it *is* a bug.

It is a bit common to lose a bit of balance and accidentaly click a snapshot. In my case, the snapshot I step on when using this momentary switch, is the same that I am currently using and it still locks the state of the momentary switch, forcing me to change snapshot back and forth.

I will upload a video shortly

13 hours ago, haguirrebena said:

The same happens to me if I am pressing the momentary switch and I step on a SNAPSHOT button at the same time.

So yes, it *is* a bug.

It is a bit common to lose a bit of balance and accidentaly click a snapshot. In my case, the snapshot I step on when using this momentary switch, is the same that I am currently using and it still locks the state of the momentary switch, forcing me to change snapshot back and forth.

Sorry. Unexpected behaviour due to a user losing his balance and accidentally hitting the wrong switch is not a bug. If you consider it a bug, the fix is already available. Stop hitting the wrong switch.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, haguirrebena said:

So yes, it *is* a bug.

Ah yes! The infamous "Klutz" bug!

How many feet do you have? lol. Running Preset/Stomp mode, I imagine. If you're full-on changing presets there's gonna be a drop out between them anyways, so why not just let go of the momentary switch? It definitely seems like odd behavior from a software standpoint, but also something that most people probably wouldn't even test for. 

On 2/1/2020 at 1:43 AM, haguirrebena said:

So yes, it *is* a bug.

If you change snapshots while holding a momentary switch you have set up as a controller, I wouldn't expect the value for that parameter to be maintained through the snapshot change. All controller values are recalled with snapshot changes. There's no override ability with footswitch controllers like there is with the expression pedals, so the parameter would go to whatever value is saved with the snapshot. Right now, I guess, this is just one of those things where I'd say the remedy is to not do it. You'll get unpredictable results.