I have had major issues with dropout on larger stages, particularly in venues where there are many devices on WIFI/2.4ghz. In fact, on some stages, i.e. Butlins, the V75 is utterly useless as a result and so I have to run alternative UHF wireless kit as a result.

I've seen in the later V75 adverts it says "4th Generation Wireless"; does this mean that the newer products have better drop-out protection than my V75's (which are 4 years old and have never been updated)? To be honest, my V75's haven't been used for years because of these drop-outs, but I wondered if 180/360 paddles either side of the drummer might assist. If I can't get a conclusive answer they're going in the bin.

Thanks in advance

Are you performing the channel scan procedure when you use the V75?

Posted (edited)

1) How many units are you running?
2) Are you in RF1 or RF2 mode?

3) What distance are the transmitters from the receivers?

4) Are you running any other devices (tablets, mixers, phones, guitar/bass wireless, mics, laptops, etc) that have wifi or bluetooth on stage near the transmitters or receivers? 

The XD-AD8 Antenna Distribution System coupled with a P180 Directional Active Antenna Pair might provide the solution if you are operating multiple systems in a noisy environment.  The isolation and directional nature of the P180s might provide you with enough signal focus to keep out those interfering signals.  I don't own these yet, but my research into these leads me to believe they might help out.  The only true way to know for sure is to get them and use them, unfortunately.  Not a cheap experiment.   But others who have them might be able to comment to their effectiveness.

Edited by Digitalman42
Added tablets to the devices list

1. 2, side by side in a rack that's at the side of the stage (but on the stage).

2. Never changed the RF mode so I can't answer.

3. No more than 50ft, but, there's always a clear line of sight. The drop-outs don't tend to be at the furthest distance, they can happen when you're quite close to the receivers.

4. Most big venues run their lights/tills/screens on 2.4ghz, and the audience can be several thousand, so there are bound to be other devices using this bandwidth.

I've played in small venues, 100-120 people, and what caused the drop-out turned out to be a Christmas Tree with bluetooth/wifi lights on it.

The cost of the antennas isn't the issue, it's trying them out in a live environment and finding out I still get drop-outs.

2 hours ago, phil_m said:

Are you performing the channel scan procedure when you use the V75?

RF strength can often be strong immediately before the drop-outs, but, I don't recall ever using the channel scan.

Regards

16 hours ago, BodieDoyle said:

2. Never changed the RF mode so I can't answer.

Before chucking them in the bin, I'd respectfully suggest learning to use them properly. It's quite likely that out of the box they're set to RF2 which is (in my opinion) pretty useless. If they are, change them to RF1 which you'll undoubtedly find is far more resilient.