Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX stomp speaker options for home use

Rob-Thunder

I think I over complicated things in my previous question. More simply:

What are the pros and cons of (for home use):

1) a surround sound home stereo (which I already own)

2) Studio monitors (e.g. Yamaha HS5) (just one or a pair)

3) wedge type monitor (e.g. headrush 108)

Surround sound isn't such a great idea. 

The Helix only outputs stereo, so your system is likely going to be doing something to create surround from the stereo which is not likely to be good!

But you got it so why not give it a try?

Studio monitors are a good choice, and the Headrush will also be good. They are both FRFR essentially, so it's stereo Vs mono,. The real question is how loud you want to play at home?

The Headrush will be louder, and could be used if you were ever to play with others, the studio monitors don't do that. 

But if you just want to play at home with backing tracks, see if you can get your surround system to work in simple stereo, obviously doing a lot of EQing probably using global EQ first. Then you have to decide if that's "good enough". 

Probably not going to make most of us happy, but I'd need to experiment with your system, it's totally possible you can get a decent sound if you know what you are doing.

You would connect the Helix by USB and use it as your sound card, so you can output to the stereo from your computer. (Including any backing track or YouTube video)

If all that is confusing to you, just get the Headrush unit and play guitar through that and music through your current system. As I said, you will need to really know what you are doing if you want to make it work with the surround system.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rob-Thunder said:

I think I over complicated things in my previous question. More simply:

What are the pros and cons of (for home use):

1) a surround sound home stereo (which I already own)

2) Studio monitors (e.g. Yamaha HS5) (just one or a pair)

3) wedge type monitor (e.g. headrush 108)

1) For any task on earth, one needs appropriate tools. Surround sound is wonderful for multi-channel audio that accompanies gun fights and car chases, but that's not what you're doing. Don't go this route.

2) A PAIR of studio monitors is ideal for the home player who wishes to play along with songs or backing tracks, and/or to mix your own home recordings. One would be basically useless....music is stereo. Also, stereo reverbs and delays are a glorious thing... don't limit yourself.

3) Necessary if you intend to play with others at volume, in a band setting. Overkill for the living room, and won't help you if you want to do any home recording, as you'd need two.  (See #2 above)

• Thanks 1