Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT not responding to footswitches and randomly changing presets

rob11111

Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Helix Lt recently - it was working perfectly two months ago, I start it up again today, its going haywire.

I've linked a video showing what's happening - basically i can't control the helix using the footswitches and it is randomly cycling through the presets and the tuner. Sometimes when I turn it off and on again it will work briefly before doing the same thing. Sometimes it will get stuck on a single preset, and will output audio. One time I got it to successfully connect to HX Edit and I could change preset there, but it would revert back to a specific patch every 10 seconds or so for an unknown reason.

When it first broke, the installed version was 2.82. I tried updating it to 2.90 - it updated properly, but still has the same issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rob

• 10 months later...

Hi I just got my Helix lt yesterday. It has been updated before to 3:01 before it arrived. After powering on it freezes after a while, sometimes a few seconds sometimes longer. Sometimes after powering on the top left hand corner of the screen reads -:28. After freezing the Helix still plays but none of the buttons/switches work. Any ideas anybody.

32 minutes ago, janicenick25 said:

Hi I just got my Helix lt yesterday. It has been updated before to 3:01 before it arrived. After powering on it freezes after a while, sometimes a few seconds sometimes longer. Sometimes after powering on the top left hand corner of the screen reads -:28. After freezing the Helix still plays but none of the buttons/switches work. Any ideas anybody.

Did you try the factory reset as I suggested above?

2 hours ago, janicenick25 said:

Sometimes after powering on the top left hand corner of the screen reads -:28.

You must be referring to the small -28 that appears in red at the top left of the Helix screen when attempting to reboot after updating.

O.K. Let’s see if we can fix this, as it could be one of several things that has glitched in the hardware. First thing to try is this:

Turn off your Helix and close all Line6 and other audio software. Unplug the USB cable from the Helix and the computer. Now reinstall HX Edit 3.01 - when you get to the options section of the install, leave them all checked. Now reconnect the USB cable to your computer and Helix, then startup the Helix while holding down FS6 and FS12 which puts it into update mode. Then start the update process again.

Hope this helps

3 hours ago, janicenick25 said:

Powered on pressing 7 & 8 not quite sure what to do next.

Once again, you are not giving much to go on. The FS7 & 8 combination is the regular factory reset procedure. You don’t say if that has cleared the “-:28” problem. If it has, then your Helix should be fine.

If not, then use the “Safe Boot” (FS6 &12) start up then connect the USB and reflash the memory in the Helix using the Line 6 Updater app and the flash memory bundle. You don’t say what computer and OS you are using, and it’s big help to know this stuff, but if you are using a Mac, follow the instruction that I gave in this thread.

The same instruction apply if you are using Window, but make sure you select your OS from the -ALL OS- menu option before clicking go. Other than that, if you know where you downloaded the files simply follow the routine described.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I’m using acer laptop with windows 10 with 3 USB ports. Try to use all these but HX Edit says “No Device Connected. Can I update using an I-Pad Pro?  Cheers Nick

PS.  Been in contact with the shop where I purchased the helix and they are going to replace it. 

Just to say thanks to all the people who gave advice.   Cheers Nick

PPS

just wondered is it possible to update Helix via an I-Pad?

2 hours ago, janicenick25 said:

Can I update using an I-Pad Pro?

Hi Nick,

Good to know that you are getting a replacement Helix, but for future reference, you can only update vis USB from a computer, because you need to use HX Edit to do the update and it is not available as an iPad or Android app.

Good luck with your new Helix.