Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can you output your 'live' POD Go sound to PC without delay?

grdGo33

I was trying to find some DAW which would allow me to use the Go to output direct from computer speakers, but I haven't really found one which can do it, for instance Audacity has massive delay which make nearly impossible to use live.  Is there any way to do it?  Something I'm missing?

The delay, or latency, occurs because the audio is being processed through your DAW and then to your speakers. If you connect your speakers directly to the POD Go, you’ll have no latency.

24 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The delay, or latency, occurs because the audio is being processed through your DAW and then to your speakers. If you connect your speakers directly to the POD Go, you’ll have no latency.

Yeah obviously...!  ;)

So there's no DAW or setting or whatever which can reduce the latency enough so that you can effectively output the Go's sound via USB to computer speakers?  I vaguely remember that you can reduce the buffer size (or buffer number?) of the DAW, which reduce latency, haven't tried it yet, but in the same breath he said it also reduce the sound quality, haven't gotten to test it out yet, wonder if it's usable... Hmmm...

I guess this is where the L6 native comes in?  (https://shop.line6.com/software/helix-native.html?___store=ww_en&___from_store=ww_en&___store=eu_en)

I don't quite understand though how you could send your guitar sound via audio interface, then have the L6 Native crunch the bits to output the processed sound without latency, but you couldn't send your processed sound from POD Go to your DAW and then just play it in a DAW without noticeable latency...  So I'm thinking that the L6 Native also has serious latency issues and it's fixed in video editing?  After some search; some people are having latency issues with it too, others claim to have none...

Also these types of latency issue just sound kinda silly... I have a DAC which has pretty much zero latency, 3D games today seem insanely more intensive than just playing the sound from the POD Go, so I can't understand wtf is so complicated to play already processed sound from the Go without latency...!  Blows my mind.  Definitely something I'm missing here.

Reading up I've now see < ASIO Drivers > mentioned, not sure I was using these or even had these installed, maybe that's part of the issue...  I mean I had massive latency, like >0.2s or something...

you'are facing audio latency. it is common and you have to deal with it, you can't completely get rid of it, but you can minimize it.

the DAW has very little to do with the equation. it depends on your overal system, the pc/mac you are using (cpu power, ram, disk, etc...) and the audio device you are connecting.

first you need to install the infamous ASIO drivers that come with your audio interface (the pod go), and use it as your audio driver inside your DAW (go into audio/preferences/drivers menu of your DAW). then you have to tweak the ASIO parameters like this: to reduce latency you need to reduce the buffer size, but if you reduce the buffer you may step into audio glitches like pops and noise that are the signal that your system can't cope with the low buffer size you have set. so you need to raise the buffer, until the audio is good. if still you get very bad latency your system maybe is not powerful enough.

a good latency value for getting close to real-time audio is something less than 10 milliseconds. so the 0.2 seconds you're getting is indeed really bad.

• Like 1