Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 - recording guitar (with effects) plus mic in a DAW

camman96

Hello Line 6ers,

I’m teaching a man called Graham and he owns a Line 6 unit.

I followed the instructions in this post and managed to create a dual path preset in Helix. I selected the Input block on one path and set it to guitar, did the same for the mic, etc.

I successfully setup a DAW called Cakewalk on Windows and made a template with 3 tracks: 1 gtr left channel, 1 gtr right channel, 1 mic track.

Graham is happy with this but he wants to know if its possible for him to use a preset (or at least some effects) so he can get the guitar effects coming through on the gtr channels while he sings.

Is this possible? If we can't use effects-laden presets, can we copy the effects from existing presets and add them in? I noticed that a lot of presets use ‘two paths’ for all of their effects. Does this mean that we will be limited in our range of effects (and routing options) given that one our ‘paths’ is being taken up by the mic input?

If the guitars have to be recorded dry with no effects (or only some of the desired effects), what’s the easiest way of re-amping or getting the recorded audio to run through a plugin or the Line 6 unit itself?

Thanks in advance!

You're right that you need a dual path preset. Helix has two identical DSP processors, one for each path. That means that the amount of DSP available for your guitar and vocals is the same. Your guitar is restricted to using max. half the FX it could otherwise use under normal (no mic) circumstances. So yes, your range of guitar FX is restricted. You can copy FX blocks from one preset to another up to the point of DSP capacity on the guitar path.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about getting " the guitar effects coming through on the gtr channels while he sings." That should be happening so I don't know why it's not. Here's a customtone preset I made several years ago for dual guitar/vocal processing. It's designed for an acoustic guitar but you can easily replace all blocks with electric guitar in mind.

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/2044875/

Re: re-amping. The setup and procedures are discussed in the manual. Note that Helix Native is also an option for re-amping a dry track.

Perfect, thanks!

RE: "the guitar effects coming through on the gtr channels while he sings." 

Basically, we've only tested things using dry guitars. I'll try and add some effects.

I'll check out the copy and paste stuff. Thanks for your preset.

That means that the amount of DSP available for your guitar and vocals is the same. Your guitar is restricted to using max. half the FX it could otherwise use under normal (no mic) circumstances.

Actually it's not totally true.

You can use Path A full and 1/2 path B for your guitar and the other 1/2 half of path B for the mic (I assume the Mic Path will be Ok with not so many blocks)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, enjalt said:

Actually it's not totally true.

You can use Path A full and 1/2 path B for your guitar and the other 1/2 half of path B for the mic (I assume the Mic Path will be Ok with not so many blocks)

Correct. Thanks for clarifying.