Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to connect guitar and mic for vocals?

garbanzo

I hope that I expose my level of knowledge with my question, if not, I am a beginner. I have however come to the stage of wanting to learn this feature. How do I connect both guitar and mic? In extension  I wish to be able to record both the guitar and vocal on separate channels in Reaper. Today I connected both guitar and microphone with input in Helix on Multi, I got a read out for guitar in my DAW. I then changed Helix "input"  to Mic from Multi resulting in no sound for either mic or guitar. Upon changing input back to Multi I still had no sound, this I finally resolved by restarting Helix with input on Multi and got my guitar sound back. I have not found a section in the manual, nor any videos on the subject. How do I set this up?

Any and all explicit help is much appreciated

Thanks

garbanzo

Connect your guitar to the Helix Guitar input and your mic to the mic input. Create a dual path preset in Helix. Select the Input block on one path and set it to guitar. Set the input on the other path to mic. When adding blocks and FX to your paths keep the paths completely separate. For just playing set the Output block in both paths to Multi. For recording set the Output block in one path to USB 1/2 and the other to USB 3/4.

In Global Settings -> Ins/Outs adjust the Mic input gain until you get a strong enough signal level without clipping.

Connect Helix via USB to your computer and launch Reaper. If it does not automatically start using Reaper and its ASIO driver as the audio interface do so manually. (Note: you need to have the Line 6 Helix driver installed.)

Create 2 stereo audio tracks in Reaper and arm them for recording. Select USB 1/2 as the input source for one track and USB 3/4 for the other. Check your signal levels (back to the Helix mic input gain?) and start recording.

If you want to simultaneously record the dry signals for the guitar and mic for later plug-in processing (e.g. using Helix Native) then create and arm another pair of mono audio tracks. Select USB 7 as the input source for one and USB 8 for the other. (These are the default settings in Helix Global Settings. If you’ve changed them adjust accordingly.)

Have Fun!

• Like 2

Hi and thanks siverhead! Let me say that your level of detail was very helpful, and made me realise that I was not as specific as I needed to be when posing my dilemma.  Let me explain, I have a Helix rack, using a W10 PC with Reaper 6:

-I have connected guitar and mic to respective H>elix inputs.

-I have separate blocks, one for guitar and one for microphone, no connection. Guitar out  usb1/2, mic out usb 3/4.

-Helix is connected to PC via usb

- in global settings I have increased the gain all the way, just to be sure.

-I have created two tracks in reaper and designated guitar in "guitar" from the above 1/2 out from Helix, and likewise mic in from the 3/4 Helix out

-Reaper has been used countless times and is ASIO source from Helix, has worked fine previously

What I get is a very strong signal from the guitar, but no signal from the mic. I have worked with the routing matrix in Reaper, and tried all sorts of variations, but either get only guitar signal or no signal at all as I have screwed something up. At this point I close Reaper and start over, usually getting a very strong guitar signal but no mic signal input. There are so many adjustments, what could be missed?!

• Upvote 1

Hello Musiclaw and silverhead, and thanks for the additional input! I have now turned on the phantom power for my mic, and now that works. Still my problems persist. I must have missed something in the global settings?! even though I have gone through them this morning. The results are that I EITHER get my mic, OR my guitar in both channels in REaper, but not both at the same time.

Btw, I have been using the studio pre on the mic line. I have only just begun to get oriented, most of my energy is still directed att solving the greater problem of having two simotanious channels. However if you have any suggestions as to using the mic and getting proper levels etc I am all ears.

Any further suggestion you may have, I am very thankful!

garb

Thanks silverhead. Let me explain what my problem was. I had at some time changed Reapers audio devise setting from Helix ASIO to my pc´s card. I believe I was mixing something without the Helix, and forgot to reset it. I am sure that another part of the problem was that I had not turned on the phantom power which I did yesterday. But because of the audio setting this was of course not enough. I am now on the right track, which I appreciate tremendously. Perhaps this thread may be of help for others floundering like myself. It is good people like you who make this forum so beneficial.

• 11 months later...
On 2/9/2021 at 8:23 AM, mingyi said:

I wish HX stomp could do dual path too, unfortunately I could't open ideacscale page

The issue will be DSP or the lack of DSP. There just isn't enought there to justify this. I don't have an Stomp so I may be wrong but I think you can fake one. You would first need to create a parallel path B. That path can be assigned to a different output. Then turn down the B path's input from the split point. Now put a return block at the beginning of Path B and use the Return input for path B's input. The return block is probably one of the lowest DSP using FX but even if you could create a separate input for path B instead of having to use a Return block, you're still going to run into not having enough DSP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 1:41 AM, brue58ski said:

The issue will be DSP or the lack of DSP. There just isn't enought there to justify this. I don't have an Stomp so I may be wrong but I think you can fake one. You would first need to create a parallel path B. That path can be assigned to a different output. Then turn down the B path's input from the split point. Now put a return block at the beginning of Path B and use the Return input for path B's input. The return block is probably one of the lowest DSP using FX but even if you could create a separate input for path B instead of having to use a Return block, you're still going to run into not having enough DSP.

It actually works! Thanks a lot !