Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Distortion Sounds bad

kane21014

Hi Kane21014, 

I would suggest ensuring that the 'Contour' setting on the back of your Headrush Monitor is set to flat, as well as ensuring your signal to the speaker isn't clipping the input.  If you are still concerned regarding the quality of playback with distortion models; I would then recommend auditioning tones through a quality set of headphones or another FRFR speaker to help determine the culprit. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, kane21014 said:

SO for some reason my HX Stomp distortions sound terrible. Going straight into Headrush 8" FRFR.

When running into an FRFR it starts with amp/cab choice.... get a good tone there, then add the distortion blocks.  

IMO... cab/speaker/mic choice is critical when setting up good overdrive tones.

13 hours ago, NBell said:

I would suggest ensuring that the 'Contour' setting on the back of your Headrush Monitor is set to flat,

^^^ this ^^^ is also very important

• Like 1

You ARE using a cab after your distortion box in your hx blocks, right?  And you probably will want to cut highs on the cab or after the cab (or using global eq) around 8k-ish by a few db.

If you aren't using a cab block, it'll sound like crap, just like taking a distortion pedal and plugging the output into a PA system or a recording interface.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your help guys, it's been a combination of all of the things mentioned and i'm beginning to get things figured out. My main issue at the moment is adjusting presets depending on which guitar im playing. Going from Squire Strat to EMG 85/81 so presets don't work well for both guitars at all