Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

iPhone with Helix Floor

MikeD68

Hope someone could help me with this. I’m trying to play my iPhone through my USB so I can practice along with songs. I’d rather go this route then the return in/out and deal with individual patch changes. 

I followed this video:

I adjusted the USB in to multi or XLR and trim accordingly and nothing. Used a lightening to USB cable. 

Then I got the Apple Camera Adapter and a USB to USB cable. Still nothing. 

Not sure what’s wrong. Now I did notice the USB cables doesn’t seem to be going all the way into the Helix. Seems to stick out about 1/8”. Not sure If this is normal or if it should be flush.  I’ve tried pushing it in more but it’s tapped out. I dont want to force it. 

Thanks

On 10/5/2020 at 6:25 PM, MikeD68 said:

Hope someone could help me with this. I’m trying to play my iPhone through my USB so I can practice along with songs. I’d rather go this route then the return in/out and deal with individual patch changes. 

I followed this video:

I adjusted the USB in to multi or XLR and trim accordingly and nothing. Used a lightening to USB cable. 

Then I got the Apple Camera Adapter and a USB to USB cable. Still nothing. 

Not sure what’s wrong. Now I did notice the USB cables doesn’t seem to be going all the way into the Helix. Seems to stick out about 1/8”. Not sure If this is normal or if it should be flush.  I’ve tried pushing it in more but it’s tapped out. I dont want to force it. 

Thanks

It is normal on the Helix for the USB cable not to push in all the way. I don't think that is the issue.  Have you also got your output block set to Multi or whatever output you have your monitors connected to?  If you are using headphones make sure the "Headphones Monitor" global setting described in the video is set properly. Maybe you could test the iPhone's output on a DAW on your computer to eliminate the USB cable or the camera adapter as being the source of the problem.

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2020 at 11:25 PM, MikeD68 said:

Not sure what’s wrong.

I’m not in the studio right now and therefore can’t check this out. I have to ask, does your iPhone know that it needs to communicate with the outside world. When you swipe down from the top right, it should bring up a bunch of options, one of which is for music. Right now in the house if I drag down and go to the music icon, also sees another two devices in the house on the wireless network and I can choose to use them for audio playback.

Just an idea, check it out.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:08 PM, MikeD68 said:

Not sure what you mean. This was via USB cable. Not wireless

I know that. I did say that I’m in the house, not the studio, so I couldn’t check it out.

I use an Apple Camera Kit and an iRig2 to record ideas onto both my iPad and iPhone without any issues. I have never tried to patch either of them to the Helix, but with the Camera Kit and iRig I can get straight into Garageband or AmpliTube without any other messing around. I haven’t tried to connect to anything that isn’t using “the software” as part of the deal, therefore my guess was that it maybe that the iPhone needs to be pointed to an external device to “see” it.

;-)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MikeD68 said:

To be honest not sure what you mean. I haven’t seen that mentioned on any forums regarding using an iPhone or MP3 with the Helix. 

OK, that’s fine - it was only an idea, and I’m unable to test the theory right now  - although it should just work!

I decided to dig a bit deeper an found a post from Digital Igloo (Eric Klein, Chief Product Design Architect - Yamaha Guitar Group - Line 6 - Ampeg) - Note: this comment is 4 years old - May 2016 

“But it really depends on what you're connecting:

• Apple/Google smartphone or tablet, Mac/PC, iPod Touch, or anything else supporting class-compliant audio - Just connect it via USB and Helix will route it directly to its outputs with no additional D/A/D conversion (plus it sounds better!)”

Now, from what you have said in your first post I would try another USB cable.

Other than that I have nothing more to offer.

Original thread here:

First time I tried a USB to lightening cable. Didn’t work. Second try was USB to USB to an Apple Camera Kit like the video above. Still didn’t work....

Since I use a KW122 my friend suggested a Lightening to RCA cable directly into the back of the QSC. But with this set up (if it works) I have to control the volume directly via the iPhone. Not ideal, as I’d rather do it via the Helix. 

if anyone has any other suggestions I’d appreciate it. 

16 hours ago, MikeD68 said:

if anyone has any other suggestions I’d appreciate it. 

I did say that I had nothing else to offer, but you still haven’t said if you have tried to eliminate possible culprits, as suggested by “HonestOpinion” in his post above.

Without checking the suspects you can’t solve this.

In the studio my Helix has been hooked up via USB to my Mac doing the 2 way traffic job with audio for 5 years, no problem. I also use my iPad Air2 and iPhone SE with the Apple Camera Kit to successfully record and playback guitars into each of them - once more no problem.

Tomorrow, I will take the pad or the phone into the studio and use the ACCK to plug into the Helix USB. If it works just like the video, what then?

Just a thought, and as it is approaching midnight here, I will finish this beer and go to bed.

Try all the possible options and eliminate.

19 hours ago, MikeD68 said:

f anyone has any other suggestions I’d appreciate it.

Well, I did exactly what I said I would 14 hours ago.

Went down to the studio, turned on the Helix, connected the built in Lightning cable of ACCK to iPhone, and the USB plug from Helix into the other end of it in the slot marked with a camera icon. Loaded GarageBand (free on every iPhone), selected a software keyboard, tinkled the virtual ivories and - as predicted - it just works.

This is the interface that I have for this and for use with my Canon EOS cameras. I don't know if this is the gizmo that you tried?

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?afid=p238|smvif5ThI-dc_mtid_187079nc38483_pcrid_432493523477_pgrid_103369707551_&cid=aos-uk-kwgo-pla-btb--slid---product-MK0W2ZM/A-UK

EDIT: Added Pic

If your USB connection looks like this at the Helix end - that's fine.

1484737651_USBShot.jpg.5ba561deb38fa25647f55d21b28aba18.jpg

Edited by datacommando
Added Pic

If you have an original apple camera kit, the link it's pretty much straightforward and doesnt need any special setting. USB1/2 will pass through the Helix signal, out of the box.

I have 3 Kits, they all works the same. Audio from the iPhone will be routed out of the USB, no matter what app you are using....easy peasy.

USB cable straight into the back USB port of my Helix.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aajjjydsayj9uf7/IMG_0012.MOV?dl=0

• Upvote 1

DataCommando,

Like I said, I tried the Lightening/USB cable. Didn't work. Also tried USB/USB cable and Apple Camera Kit. Still didn't work. I'll give them another try tonight but I'm scratching my head. The USB connection looks like your photo so that's right then

The only other thing I can think of is I'm using AnyTune Pro+  instead of iTunes or Garage Band. Could this be the reason why?? If this is the reason not sure why it wouldn't work with the Helix. Works fine with my cheap Hartke combo........

Baffled is right!!!

1 hour ago, MikeD68 said:

DataCommando,

Like I said, I tried the Lightening/USB cable. Didn't work. Also tried USB/USB cable and Apple Camera Kit. Still didn't work. I'll give them another try tonight but I'm scratching my head. The USB connection looks like your photo so that's right then

The only other thing I can think of is I'm using AnyTune Pro+  instead of iTunes or Garage Band. Could this be the reason why?? If this is the reason not sure why it wouldn't work with the Helix. Works fine with my cheap Hartke combo........

Baffled is right!!!

I can't see that AnyTune Pro+ could be an issue, it's just a glorified "Amazing Slowdowner". It will block any DRM content, but if you have used it before with your Hartke then it must work as a regular playback app. 

I would make sure that  your Helix can communicate via USB to your computer. If it does - great. If not, swap the cable and test again. Still nothing, then your USB in/out might be fried, although, I don't think I've come across that happening to anyone in the 5 years that the Helix has been around. Do then same thing with your iPhone, you need to be certain that the audio is being spit out of the Lightning port via USB. Garageband is free on the iPhone so check that it can send audio out of the Lightning slot.

Whatever you find must be the solution.

I still remain - truly baffled!

I've downloaded plenty of patches so I know the Helix can communicate via USB.   

Likewise the signal from the Lightening port although that's to a 1/8" aux in when I use my Hartke combo.....

I'm not gonna give up. I sold off most of my gear to go with a Helix. I love the versatility it offers. Just very frustrating....

• Upvote 1

It seems like your camera kit is the only thing left to be tested with something other than the Helix or an alternate camera kit need to be tried.

Same experience what others reported before - camera kit connection to Helix USB works for me every time w/o any hassle with both iPhone SE and IPad.

Controlling USB input volume on the Helix is a bit cumbersome. Make sure you do not have it turned down all the way, but that should have created the same problem when playing some track on your PC or MAC when routing it out to Helix via USB.

I can only state that it seems you have not yet checked whether the camera kit cable is the failing piece. In regard to a straight lightning/USB cable option I do not know what you refer to. Those cables are only used to charge the iPhone/iPad or connect them to a Computer. Can you provide a brand, part number or source for such a straight cable directly connecting an iPhone/iPad to a Helix? 

Ok I tried it again. Both the USB/Lightening cable and the USB/USB cable with the Apple Camera Kit. Nothing. I just don’t get it. Totally stumped. And I did play around with the Trim up and down. Nothing. 

here is a pic of my settings:

94680C3D-2A1C-4E16-8CED-8F891984DA5B.jpeg

28 minutes ago, MikeD68 said:

Got them at work. That said I’m more then willing to try new cables. Is there a specific brand you recommend?

Hi again, Mike,

As noted by Martin in his post, I don’t understand the Lightning to USB cable thing either. They are for charging iPhones. I have a stack of them around the house and would never consider using them for this purpose. There is a reason that Apple charges the price they do for the Camera Connection Kit. If you could do it with a cheap NO NAME Lightning to USB, everyone would be using them. Possibly that’s why every reference to patching an iPhone to Helix specifically states using the ACCK.

Any specific brand - well, you can probably guess.

Right, I’m finishing this beer and closing down for tonight.

Regards

A Wellwisher.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MikeD68 said:

Both the USB/Lightening cable and the USB/USB cable with the Apple Camera Kit.

As @datacommando said, you're wasting your time with the USB/Lightning cable. That one definitely will not work. You have to use Apple's camera kit dongle. This is the one I use: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

I agree that at this point, you probably need to try another of the Apple camera kit dongles. I have an iPad that I connect to my Helix, and just like the others here have said, you plug it in and it works. Simple as that. Any audio I play out of the iPad, whether it's within Garageband or YouTube or whatever, comes in through USB1/2 on Helix. Also, see if you can borrow a friend's iPhone or iPad and test it. Maybe you've got some kind of weird iOS glitch.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly why the Apple Camera Kit is required? I asked Line6 and they really couldn’t give me an answer. Seems to me by going straight from USB/Lightening it streamlines things rather then all these ridiculous dongles. 

I ordered some new “name brand” cables just in case. I guess I’ll pick up another APC at the Apple store tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, MikeD68 said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly why the Apple Camera Kit is required? I asked Line6 and they really couldn’t give me an answer. Seems to me by going straight from USB/Lightening it streamlines things rather then all these ridiculous dongles. 

I ordered some new “name brand” cables just in case. I guess I’ll pick up another APC at the Apple store tomorrow. 

As others here have commented I also would guess that this is a problem with either the Camera Kit or the cable. I will say that over the years, particularly with cheaper knockoff adapters and cables, I have run into cables/adaptors on occasion that due to design deficits or inadequate wiring only provide power to a device and are incapable of actually transmitting data. You may be running into one of these or perhaps just a flat out defective cable/adapter.

2 hours ago, MikeD68 said:

I do not know the real answer, but I vaguely remember that the USB messaging protocol differentiates between a host and a device side of communication parties. A straight lightning to USB cable connects the device (iPhone/iPod) to a host (PC/MAC).  The Camera kit dongle allows the IPhone/iPad to act or look like a host and supports the use of a so-called USB ‘printer cable’ to connect to a device (Helix).

Helix has a USB 2.0 Type-B receptacle and needs a USB cable with a USB 2.0 Type-B connector on one end. I am not aware of any lightning cable that ends in a USB 2.0 Type-B connector. Except for the Apple camera kit dongle which converts to a USB Type-A receptacle (host), all lightning /USB cables have a USB 2.0 or 3.0 Type-A or a USB 3.0 Type-C connector to be plugged into a host.

I am not confident that I used the right terminology in the above - it’s been a while since I worked on something USB related. Hope it helps anyway. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeD68 said:

You can blame Apple for this. Their Lightning connector is capable of being many different things, but sometimes requires extra dongles to do so -- just like if you want it to be a traditional headphone jack. It needs that 'camera kit' to make the Lightning connector function as a traditional USB port. It's the same reason you need it to attach a digital camera.

On 10/9/2020 at 2:50 AM, MikeD68 said:

Looks like both “MartinDorr” and  “qwerty42” beat me to it, but here I go. It is fairly obvious that this isn't down to Apple. It is their proprietary item for adding a class compliant USB port function to their iPhones which run iOS and cannot load any drivers that may otherwise be required. This is to enable iPhone users to transfer photos and of course get audio signals out of the iPhone. Whereas, the USB port on the Line 6 range of products are an (old) industry standard, and their items work right out of the box.

When you first mentioned the USB - Lightning cable, I should have immediately realised that was wrong. How do you connect a regular Lightning to a type A USB plug into the Line 6 type B socket? That bit seems to have been missed out in your first post.

Furthermore, you state that your “camera kit” is brand new. Have you tested it? Connect it to a digital camera/computer and see if the iPhone can transfer some photographs. That was the primary idea of the ACCK, if it is new, and provided you haven’t damaged it, you can simply have it replaced. When someone sells something, it must be fit for purpose, i.e. shuttle photos to and from a camera, a computer and the phone. If it doesn’t, simply get a refund or replacement.

53 minutes ago, MikeD68 said:

Ok, went to the Apple store and spent $39 on a new Camera Kit. Hooked everything up. Nothing......

New cable coming tomorrow. Let’s see.......

Mike

Why spend $39 - if the one you already had did not do what it was supposed to do then it should have been replaced - you said it was brand new.

If you went to the Apple store, why did you not complain, and say - “I just bought this and it does not work”. They would have tested it while you were there an told you if it was faulty. If it was a dud, they would replace it - no questions. I would have been in there banging on the countertop shouting for the manger!

One more time, from the top - You now have a second brand new ACCK straight out of the Apple store and you are telling us that it does not work. Huh! Excuse me, but why were you not immediately back in the Apple store pi$$ing and moaning that this piece of sh!t does not work. No, you are back here and telling us, looking for an answer we don’t have. Connect a digital camera, with some images on it and see if they can be shuttled back and forth to your iPhone. If it works - that’s an end to it - if it is the Camera Kit at fault, get your money back. It’s easy enough to figure out what bit of the puzzle doesn’t fit. Process of elimination. Is it the ACCK, the USB cable, the iPhone, the Helix or something else...?

Which bit of this seems to be the real problem.

This story is becoming more flakey as it progresses.

New cable? Let’s see...

Ok hold on. It occurred to me to try the usb cable that Line6 supplied with the Helix. Now I know that works because I’ve downloaded about 20 patches. And when I hooked that up to the Camera Kit nothing. No sound. So that tells me theirs something else going on here. 

I even tried it with my Apple Music library in addition to Anytune Pro and nothing.

While it’s possible I got two bad Camera Kits I find that unlikely. As much as I don’t like their nickel and dimeing Apple’s quality is top notch. 

Theirs got to be something I’m missing here. 

4 minutes ago, MikeD68 said:

No sound. So that tells me theirs something else going on here. 

Yep, cannot fault you on that- process of elimination- works every time as Sherlock once explained to Doctor Watson.

Once again you have caught me about to finish my final beer, before I retire for the night, so buenas noches amigo, and don’t wake me with your yahoos and yelling when you finally  figure this out!

;-)

Datacommando,

As far as me spending $39 for another camera kit, that’s my problem. I didn’t return the first one simply because I wasn’t certain that it was defective. The Apple store is down the street from work. The technician said he’ll take it back, no problem. 

You sound frustrated. I’m sorry but no one is more frustrated then me. The “story” is NOT flakey. It’s a very real problem. I’ve had my Helix two weeks now and have not been able to resolve this issue. I’ve called Line6 numerous times and they haven’t been helpful. I’ve followed the steps of the YouTube video to the letter. I posted this on this forum with the hope someone can help. If you or someone is willing to FaceTime me I’ll gladly go through what’s going on. 

I’m pretty confident that theirs something I may be missing to all this but based on that video and what you and other people and Line6 have said, I can’t find it......

23 minutes ago, MikeD68 said:

Datacommando,

As far as me spending $39 for another camera kit, that’s my problem. I didn’t return the first one simply because I wasn’t certain that it was defective. The Apple store is down the street from work. The technician said he’ll take it back, no problem. 

You sound frustrated. I’m sorry but no one is more frustrated then me. The “story” is NOT flakey. It’s a very real problem. I’ve had my Helix two weeks now and have not been able to resolve this issue. I’ve called Line6 numerous times and they haven’t been helpful. I’ve followed the steps of the YouTube video to the letter. I posted this on this forum with the hope someone can help. If you or someone is willing to FaceTime me I’ll gladly go through what’s going on. 

I’m pretty confident that theirs something I may be missing to all this but based on that video and what you and other people and Line6 have said, I can’t find it......

Mike,

Calm down fella, I understand your frustration.

Yep, for everyone else this just works - no problem. We are trying to work that out and somethings just don’t add up. That’s just the way it is, but at my end of your dilemma, I’m half a world away and it’s now 1am Saturday morning,  I have taken some light refreshment and I’m away to my bed until daybreak. 

Oh, yeah - one more thing that seem fairly obvious is, Line 6 are not able to help you because it appears there is no USB fault on the Helix. Simple - not their problem.

Which leaves? 

Goodnight - over and out - transmission ends..............................................

Pretty sure you have already tried this but I was thinking about what I would do first if I ran into this issue so just in case...  Have you tried unplugging the camera kit from your phone while playing a song just to make sure it is playing through the phone's speakers? If you have a lightning headphone adapter for the iPhone(about $8 on Amazon) you could also test with that to make sure signal is making it out through the connector.  If not I would suspect something not set correctly on the iPhone.

Lastly I would recommend again testing through a DAW. Tracktion provides a fairly nice one for free if you don't have one yet.  Also when you get back to testing this through the Helix I would use the simplest preset possible to cut down on any possibility of an incorrect setting in the routing or input/output blocks.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

1 hour ago, HonestOpinion said:

If you have a lightning headphone adapter for the iPhone(about $8 on Amazon) you could also test with that to make sure signal is making it out through the connector.

Hi HO (off to work we go!),

The most simple way to check it is to use another phone. He must know someone with an iPhone who could test this out.

My personal opinion, at this stage of the proceedings, is the cell phone is the problem. 

He has used the USB from his computer to the Helix to successfully transfer CustomTone presets, so we can rule that out (tick). If it was necessary to double check that it definitely is functioning correctly, it is easy enough to test by hooking up and running HX Edit, which should reveal any issues, immediately. (Double tick for this).

He has 2 ACCK, both brand new, and both failed to work. Really? I wouldn’t expect that sort of failure rate with Apple. That needs to be verified, but all of this leaves us with - the iPhone! Mmm... or tick - double check to be certain they are working as they should. Easy enough to check - simply plug in another phone!

In my first response to this thread, I mentioned that maybe something need to me switched on in the phone in order for it to work, this admittedly was wrong. The Lightning to USB Camera Connection makes it Class Compliant, therefore nothing else is required, so, sadly that would negate your suspicions about the phone setting. I, and other contributors in this thread, have used our own iPhones and ACCK to patch in to the Helix - no problems, it just works. “PierM” even went to the trouble of recording a short video showing how it works with different types of Apple connectors.

Looking back, I remember my wife complaining bitterly that her iPhone would not charge. Even swapping cables didn’t help. She insisted that she needed a new phone, as it was an essential tool for work.  IIRC, the problem was fluff, or what you guys over the pond refer to as “lint”. Yep, plain old crud in the Lightning port. Blow out the dust and everything worked again. Yay!

I really do hate to admit defeat, but I think I have gone as far as I can in trying to solve this.

• Upvote 1

Dunno, but I've the feeling you don't really have a cable/adapter issue there. Probably just something basic and silly, like when you search for your glasses for minutes, then you find out they are on top of your head.

Anyway, I'd suggest you to download the AUM app from the apple store. I think it's still free.

This app route anything to anywhere, does recognize any device connected through the lighting port with the adapter, and does unlock every single USB channel from/to your Helix, other than opening MIDI i/o talk with it. You don't need this app for your final goal, but if you can't "ping" your Helix with this app, then means the iPhone is probably the problem.

I'm an intensive user of these toys. I do have 3 iPad from different gen, and 3 different camera kits. I never, ever, had any problem in any situation. It's a compliant protocol that just works like plugging a light into a wall socket, so if you said your Helix USB works fine in any other I/O task, and your USB cable does just works (really, never seen one of those cables not working), then the isolated variable here it's the iPhone. Model? OS? Time for a reset?

Give AUM app a try, and see what happen. http://kymatica.com/apps/aum

• Upvote 1

Good morning all. PierM you were right. It was somewhat silly. I basically had to crank up the volume on the QSC, the iPhone and the Helix (both the master and the USB trim). I’ve been chasing my tail all week and it was right in front of me. Embarrassing......

That said it’s a matter now of balancing it all out. So when I up the volume of the Helix (USB trim and (master) Volume) as well as the QSC it increases the overall volume. Trying to find a good balance of hearing the bass against the song.