Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Advice for getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe sound with Helix LT + FRFR monitor

molul

I'm about to move from my current amp (a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe) to a Headrush FRFR monitor and I would like to ask if anyone has any advice for getting a similar sound.

I know there's currently no emulation for that amp, so I would like to know if anyone has ever achieved something similar before starting to tweak knobs until I find something good enough.

Any hint is greatly appreciated :)

The Princess with drive and sag (and probably hum and ripple, too) turned pretty much down should get you into the ballpark already. Alternatively, check the Cali IV Rhythm 1 channel.

As far as cabs or IRs go, I'd check a Celestion type. I think with the HRD it's pretty much about staying clean and taking pedals well. At least that's what I liked it for during the few weeks I played it (rental amp for a tour kinda thing).

• Like 1

If you are expecting Helix+FRFR to sound like your Fender amp in your room, sorry, it wont happen in any configuration. What you'll be getting is a tone coming from a mic'ed amp, processed and diffused through FRFR speakers. It wont emulate the amp in the room.

So first thing to understand is what kind of tone you are chasing, in the context of your precise expectations. :)

• Upvote 1

Oh, I don't really expect it to sound exactly the same, but I would like to have a similar "base" sound from where I can tweak some stuff and reach where I want to reach. SaschaFranck's response seems good enough for me. I'll start playing for a while on Helix Native, editing all my patches to add amp+cab, and then I'll import the setlist to Helix LT. It's awesome being able to play with the Helix plugin and then export it to your device!

Thank you all!

My live tones are all based around a nice clean Fender tone.... into a Celestion IR. 

Since getting my Helix I've used the Fender Deluxe Normal Channel as the core tone but with the introduction of the Princeton model in the last update I've been experimenting with that. In my home studio I love it.... but everything is locked down where I live so there are no gigs to give it a good trial run. 

The Hot Rod Deluxe has come with a few different speakers over the years... do you know what yours is running? I think the most common was an Eminence configuration.... and the most similar I can think of in the Helix Stock Cabs would be the 1x12 Deluxe which is based on an Oxford. If your Deluxe is running a Celestion Model, there are several options in the Helix for those.

1 hour ago, molul said:

I'll start playing for a while on Helix Native, editing all my patches to add amp+cab, and then I'll import the setlist to Helix LT. It's awesome being able to play with the Helix plugin and then export it to your device!

Input level has a huge impact on tones... make sure you calibrate the input level of Native to match your Helix to avoid any surprises when you move them over. 

Thanks codamedia! I don't know the speakers, nope. I'm very ignorant regarding amps. Just went to a shop back in the day, tested four amps I was recommended by a friend, and got the one that I liked the most ^_^U Will test deeply all the options I've read so far. My goal is just to try not to sound way different! 

Also, I'll have to split some presets in two, because of dsp overload. But that won't be much trouble :)

• Like 1

You may encounter some limitations with the Headrush due to it's lack of DSP contouring depending on how you place the speaker as for as getting a reasonable representation of a HRD.  If you keep it off the floor you probably have a pretty good chance with either the Deluxe, Princes, or even the Tweed Blues model.  There may be even other non Fender models that could suffice.  The weakest points of simulation will likely be the output device you use as well as the choice of cabinet/IR and mic models.  Behavior-wise probably most of the Fender models would tend to be pretty close other than the twin.

The rental HRD I was using had a Celestion speaker in it. Has likely been the CP-80 that Fender was using for a while. To me it seemed, hm, rather "neutral" (in lack of better words), maybe a tad on the brighter side (when it comes to Celestions at least), so I had to tame the highs on the HRD's tonestack a bit to get a sound after my taste. Btw, I've been really pleased with that amp, always had it on my radar for a small, rather portable combo - but then modeling came along and it's been time to say byebye to real amps.

58 minutes ago, molul said:

I don't know the speakers, nope.

Celestions and Jensens would "almost always" be clearly labelled as such. 

If it's labelled "Specially Designed for Fender" (often in a yellow/brown label) it is likely an Eminence. Another tell tale sign of an Eminence is a code that start with "67-xxxxxxx"

It's nice to know what you are listening to... just to give you a good starting point. 

58 minutes ago, molul said:

Also, I'll have to split some presets in two, because of dsp overload. But that won't be much trouble :)

That is quite common. Don't hesitate to use both paths on the Helix... that's why they are there.

My live "electric" preset chain is a serial path of 32 blocks. Only a few blocks remain unused...  :) 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

Celestions and Jensens would "almost always" be clearly labelled as such. 

If it's labelled "Specially Designed for Fender" (often in a yellow/brown label) it is likely an Eminence. Another tell tale sign of an Eminence is a code that start with "67-xxxxxxx"

It's nice to know what you are listening to... just to give you a good starting point. 

That is quite common. Don't hesitate to use both paths on the Helix... that's why they are there.

My live "electric" preset chain is a serial path of 32 blocks. Only a few blocks remain unused...  :) 

I'll check that on the speaker when I'm back at the rehearsal place :)

Regarding the tone I'm chasing for... My ideal tone has always been Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, although I managed to find something I liked with my setup, so I guess I'm only trying to replicate my current tone on the Helix, if that's possible. 

I messed a bit with the Princess and it sounded quite good! I think I'm staying with that for a while before testing other amps.

I also realized I only have to split one of my presets in two (because the poly capo and an amp+cab block are not compatible), so that's very cool as well. I wish they optimized the poly algorithm in the future so we can have it all, but this is a good enough workaround for me ^_^