Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can you still use snapshots fully with a midi controller?

CiaranNI

Hi all! Hopefully this is an easy question to answer - I searched existing topics but couldn't find it anywhere.

The question is - If you use snapshots as the controller to turn blocks on and off, can you also use a midi controller to switch them on and off?

Background: I have a HX Stomp and am thinking about getting an MC6 to expand the capabilities. I'd like the three footswitches on the stomp to be snapshot select, with the mc6 doing both preset switching and individual stomps on/off. But I am concerned that if I have a snapshot switch a stomp on or off, I can't then set the controller to midi without removing the snapshot control.

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!

Yes you can do it with any controller that sends momentary CCs. You dont need any particular effort in programming that, since it's just a momentary send, so the called snapshot will exclude all the others. CC is 69 for all snapshots, and value to send goes from 0 to 7, to cover the 8 snapshots. So CC 69/0 for S1, CC 69/1 for S2, CC 69/2 for S3...etc. 

5 hours ago, PierM said:

Yes you can do it with any controller that sends momentary CCs. You dont need any particular effort in programming that, since it's just a momentary send, so the called snapshot will exclude all the others. CC is 69 for all snapshots, and value to send goes from 0 to 7, to cover the 8 snapshots. So CC 69/0 for S1, CC 69/1 for S2, CC 69/2 for S3...etc. 

This is almost correct. While you CAN use a momentary controller, it's not necessary. A normal CC message with a single value, OR a toggling CC with identical values will both work.

Also, i think OP wanted to know if assigning MIDI to a block's bypass would preclude also using Snapshots for that purpose, and the answer is NO. When you use a Snapshot for bypass you're not ASSIGNING Snapshots to the bypass, so it doesn't violate the rule about one controller per block.

BTW - I just tested all this using my FCB1010/UNO board.