Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX stomp as interface

A6wbu

Thinking about buying the stomp....need info...I know you can monitor all your DAW guitar playing and playback(Cubase) but can you use the Stomp

as you overall interface? I mean by using the headphone jack on the Stomp can you do your midi stuff and your guitar tracks and playback/edit etc and monitor

all your tracks thru it like you would a regular interface????

and also..is the headphone/DAC set up in the Stomp as good as say a Steinberg interface(I used to have one )????What do I need to know regarding this???  thanks

1 hour ago, A6wbu said:

can you use the Stomp

as you overall interface?

Yes.

1 hour ago, A6wbu said:

I mean by using the headphone jack on the Stomp can you do your midi stuff and your guitar tracks and playback/edit etc and monitor

all your tracks thru it like you would a regular interface????

MIDI has nothing to do with headphones. If you're asking "can I hear my DAW playback through the headphones?" then Yes, because it IS a regular interface.

If you're asking about latency when playing live through VSTs,  (vs direct monitoring of your guitar as processed by Helix) this has been discussed to death. You'll get better latency using a dedicated AI, and you'll get MUCH better latency on MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE AI's. How much money do you have to spend?

1 hour ago, A6wbu said:

and also..is the headphone/DAC set up in the Stomp as good as say a Steinberg interface(I used to have one )????What do I need to know regarding this???  thanks

What you need to know is that you're asking for an opinion. Personally, I think anything connected to Steinberg SUCKS! That's an opinion (I used to own one, it sucked - crappy driver and terrible support). You might just as well ask "What's your favorite headphones?" because that has more to do with what you hear out of ANY headphone jack than the DAC. I guarantee you that YOU can't hear the difference in DAC between Helix and a $5000 Antelope AI. If somebody jumps up and says "I CAN HEAR IT!" Ask them how much they'll sell you their GOLDEN EARS for. Remember, the bridge required to maximize your purchase of those GOLDEN EARS is ON SALE NOW FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY at my webstore www.send-me-your-money-sucka.com.

BOTTOM LINE - Helix is a MODELER. It is also an Audio Interface sufficient to most home recording tasks, but it is primarily a modeler. If I want to play live through VSTs I go through my Scarlett 18i20, which gets MUCH better latency than the Helix (though not as good as MORE EXPENSIVE AI's), but the recorded results are NO BETTER. If you want a better Audio Interface with more channels, better routing and less latency than Helix, ask yourself the question I posed above - "How much money do you have to spend?"

Yes, spikey, I AM cranky today!

38 minutes ago, A6wbu said:

but I appreciate the info anyway..I would never be recording my keyboard midi and my guitar at the same time and I don't gig live so .....

is the latency on the Stomp really bad ???

Define what you consider bad? It ONLY matters when playing through a VST.

If you're not planning on playing LIVE through VSTs, then it's irrelevant.

There is ZERO latency (apart from minimal DAC time which is the same for ANY digital modeler) when playing through a Helix.

However, if you're recording and monitoring playing a MIDI keyboard (or eDrums) through a VST in your DAW, you want the highest quality, lowest latency AI you can afford, connected to the fastest, most powerful, most highly optimized computer that you can afford. Anything less is a compromise.

My HXS, connected to my ancient i5/8gb Gateway laptop, running W10 and Reaper, at 48k/128samples (best that computer can handle without glitches) gets 20.2ms RTL.

My Helix Floor connected to my i7-7500/16gb laptop running W10 and Reaper at 48k/64samples gets 12.5ms RTL.

Same configuration with my Scarlett 18i20 gets 7.6ms RTL.

In theory, either Helix (Floor or HXS) in 4cm with my tube amp and a G10 wireless would have approx 8.4ms total end to end latency (2.8ms per AD/DA conversion times 3).

I can't hear or feel less than 15ms, but 20ms starts to get uncomfortable the faster I play, and I'm no shredder by any measure.

I'm nowhere near good enough on drums or keyboard for it to matter.

Steve Vai claims to be able to feel 2ms.

YMMV.

Again when direct monitoring your guitar through Helix there's virtually ZERO latency.

@A6wbu, you're best bet may be simply to buy the Stomp and check it out on your own terms. If you are dissatisfied, most vendors have a very reasonable return policy. That being said, from what I gather from your post, my guess is that you're likely to love using the Stomp. Also know that HX Edit is free and allows you to use your computer to interface and control almost everything on the Stomp. Additionally, owning the Stomp will entitle you to a discount on Helix Native plugin for use with your DAW or VST Host. Moreover, when it goes on sale, as it does several times a year, it's 30% off, and costs only about $69 USD!! And, if you care to do so, you can download and try Helix Native as a free trial for 2 weeks. Although your post did not directly concern using Helix Native, it works great with the Stomp acting as the Audio Interface to your computer. YMMV. 

considering my lower cost set up I probably won't care about latency.... but the remaining issue is price... I will pay 450$ for a box but that is IT...

no more unless its much better..The hx is overpriced.... I have a few bids in...so far no takers...new should be 425, used about 390.....

6 minutes ago, A6wbu said:

considering my lower cost set up I probably won't care about latency.... but the remaining issue is price... I will pay 450$ for a box but that is IT...

no more unless its much better..The hx is overpriced.... I have a few bids in...so far no takers...new should be 425, used about 390.....

I wonder what your boss thinks about your salary.......I think the L6 folks MORE than deserve theirs!

BUT, you can probably get a cheaper "box" from one of those companies that reverse engineers other people's products and produces them with slave labor.

Good Luck on "better".

1. The Stomp is an amazingly versatile little box in terms of audio and MIDI and I/O that I've come across. And if you set it up correctly with your DAW the latency is zilch when monitoring your guitar while recording. You gotta read the manual, though. It's worth it.

2. I recently bought mine used for $400, which was a good deal. The unit is worth the $599 MSRP .... there's a lot of engineering packed in the box.

12 hours ago, soundog said:

The Stomp is an amazingly versatile little [box in] terms of audio and MIDI and I/O that I've come across.

This.

My best musical investment in decades.

I remember back in 1992 paying almost twice as much for a used Boss SE-50 , and it made me happy for many years to come. I was still using it until buying the Stomp last summer.