Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69S - Sound with noise...

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my Variax JTV-69S Three-tone Sunburst (3 single coil).
Using the magnetic pickups the guitar sound is very low and there is a huge hiss and noise.
With simulations everything is ok.
The guitar has always been in its case and has never taken a beating.
I exclude 99% hardware related problems.
Could it be a software problem?
Is there anyone else who has the same problem as me?

Many thanks

3 hours ago, Jam2x4 said:

Using the magnetic pickups the guitar sound is very low and there is a huge hiss and noise.

Without hearing a clip it's gonna be more or less impossible to diagnose... it's entirely possible that all you're hearing is typical single coil noise. Depending on the what else you've got plugged in on the same circuit and how good your power is, single coils can be unbearably noisy. Other stuff nearby can cause problems too, ceiling fans and dimmer switches being two of the more common offenders. And honestly, I find the single coils in my 69 to be a bit noisier than most others in my arsenal...

With simulations everything is ok.

As it should be...the piezos should be dead silent when not playing. It's one of the best things about a Variax. And while this is just a guess, I'd say that the fact that the modeling is working fine argues against a software issue. A bad switch or pot would be more likely. I've got a PRS with a push/pull tone pot that went south the other day... first the coil splitting just died, then stupid loud noise showed up even when not trying to split the coils. $15 and one new pot later, all is well.

Could it be a software problem?

Without more info and investigation, it's very difficult to say. Could it be software? Theoretically... but it could be a whole bunch of things hardware related, too.

Thanks guys for your replies.

It is not a real noise due to the single coil picking up hums. It is a type of noise that suggests that there is a failure of some component.
The sound that the pickup emits is very low that I have to raise the volume of the input sound card to the maximum and despite this it always remains low.

I was hoping it was a software failure but I have to resign myself and send the guitar to a luthier for a check.

Thank you very much for your availability.

14 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Sounding more like an impedance mis-match, quality of cable not as well matched to the interface input,

the interface input, or both.

Thanks...  I tried two different sound cards, RME Fireface and Scarlett 2i2, and got the same poor result.

With RME fireface in past was ok with same cable that I'm using now.

I'll do some tests with different cables.

Unfortunately I don't have an amplifier for testing the guitar.

If it's not cable impedance mis-match, then that would narrow it down to being

single coil pick-ups in a electrically noisy environment. It's the reason humbuckers were created.

Might not be hum in the usual sense, but the noise floor overall is higher with single coil pick-ups.

People who typically go for single coil like that noise floor,... it's a warm sound. Minimalist use of

a noise gate might be helpful. Find the no signal noise floor, then adjust threshold to a low minimal 

setting for smooth gate transitions.

Yesterday I did some tests and came to the conclusion that it is an electrical / electronic fault.
Analyzing the problem with Logic I have seen that with the same volume if the signal with the simulation (Tele) is 100 the one without simulation is 1. Several cables and two audio interfaces have been changed but the situation does not change.
Probably because of my English I didn't explain myself well ;-D
At the moment I can't take it to a luthier but as soon as possible I will.

Have you tried using Workbench HD to add a 100% mix of magnetics to the Variax sound and see if you can get volume that way? I don’t know where the blending occurs in the signal chain bu it might indicate if the problem is com8ng from the pick ups or the wiring elsewhere in the guitar...