Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

boosting the sound in snapshots

sgrain

If you have a free block left, insert a boost at an appropriate position and control its bypass status. IMO that's a lot easier than assigning different levels. Plus. you can easier adjust it patch-wide. If you control the level via snapshots, you'd have to readjust things for each snapshot.

Personally, I'm using a simple EQ for these tasks (allows me to also slightly pronounce the mids, which I usually like) and I place it behind any amp stuff and before any delays and reverbs so overlapping tails don't get boosted/cut when switching snapshots.

• Like 1

The difference between using a BOOST vs a GAIN block is that NONE of the boosts are truly "clean", they all affect the overall tone in one way or another.

The difference between simply using the block's bypass vs level is that, depending upon what the Snapshot does, you may WANT the added level of fine-tuning that using the block's level allows.

This:

27 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

I place it behind any amp stuff and before any delays and reverbs so overlapping tails don't get boosted/cut when switching snapshots.

is a good thing to consider, regardless which method you choose to use.

Also, using an EQ, a traditional method going back to analog pedal boards, allows you to (as @SaschaFranckmentioned) slightly boost the mids to help your leads cut through.

Going back to using a boost, you may find one that does this naturally, but using an EQ gives you more fine-tuning options.

As with everything Helix, lots of ways to skin the cat.

I typically place a 10 band EQ last in the chain just before the output.  That's in addition to everything else, including another earlier EQ, if there is one.   I use that last EQ to customize each snapshot individually.  Sometimes one of my snaps will use a different OD/Dist block that needs a different output EQ to compensate and sometimes I use it to adjust overall volume for that snap.  I find a variety of uses for a final output EQ and it sounds like it would be a great idea for you as well.

To change the sound volume, you can simply click on the output parameter of the preset, assign it to snapshots and change them as you need.  I only used this in one preset when stereo delay sound was not loud enough.  So in my example, one of the snapshots is using the volume adjustment.

My main method to make solos pop out is to boost 2K frequency up 10 db right before the amp block.  I add an EQ block.  It sounds crazy, but it works for me.  I have been using this method with real physical amplifiers.  This cleans up the sound, makes it more piercing. 

If you want to hear how it works for me, here's a recording of my recent show.  At 2:35 I start playing my lead.