Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Possible 3.15 Bug?

boynigel

I've posted this in the Bugs section too, but figured i'd put it here as well in case any one already knows of a fix:

My LT has locked up/froze several times now while trying to get to a certain preset.  The only fix is to reboot and try again, but subsequent attempts yield the same result until I found a workaround.  Here are some details:

So far, it only seems to happen when I try accessing a certain preset.  If it matters, the preset I’m going to has a new 3.15 addition, the Tesselator.  In addition, this preset contains Shuffle Looper and some CPU-intensive effects like the Poly Capo.  Safe to say that this preset is on the brink of being “maxed out” in terms of CPU availability…if that could be part of the reason.  That said we ALL have some presets that are maxed, or near-maxed.

Here’s how it all goes down-  I’ll be on a given preset and then I’ll use the bank footswitches to get to the back that holds the preset in question.  When I tap the preset’s corresponding foot switch, nothing happens, and then it freezes up.  Doesn’t matter what footswitch or button I press, the screen is locked showing all of my presets in that particular bank.

Through trial and error, I’ve found that I can access the preset via the Preset wheel/knob, but there’s just something about using the foot switches that it’s not liking.  Sometimes it lets me, but most of the time it doesn’t.  I know it isn’t the footswitch (that corresponds to the preset) itself, because the switch gives me no issues within other banks.

FWIW, this isn’t a case where I had just updated to 3.15, created the new preset, and then all of this started happening.  I updated weeks ago, and created the preset within a few days later, so there’s that. 

27 minutes ago, boynigel said:

I've posted this in the Bugs section too, but figured i'd put it here as well in case any one already knows of a fix:

….

Yes, this does sound like a bug. Please open a Support Ticket to bring this directly to the attention of Line 6 Technical Support.

12 minutes ago, tecnoimmobili said:

Hi also I have the same problem after upgrading to 3.15. A preset doesn't work helix crashes me

Unless you are sure that this is exactly the same problem reported above, please open a new topic and provide details of exactly what you are experiencing. If you have a specific preset that exhibits your problem attach it to your post so that we can help you troubleshoot it.

15 minutes ago, tecnoimmobili said:

Hi also I have the same problem after upgrading to 3.15. A preset doesn't work helix crashes me

See if it will let you get to the given preset via the Preset scroll wheel without crashing.  Worked on my LT.  I'd be interested to see if that's a shared detail of this problem.  With mine, so far, it's always been the same preset that causes the crash but that's not to say others won't if i play around with it long enough.

4 ore fa, Silverhead ha detto:

Non vedo il preset. Si prega di verificare che sia allegato.

I recognize the name of that preset. Is it your creation? If not, where did you get it? The identically named preset that I know of is a paid purchase from the Helix Marketplace. I know because I bought the package containing it a few years ago.

Two things about it:

- if you didn’t purchase a license for it from the creator it won’t load into HX Edit properly. That shouldn’t make your Helix device crash but the preset won’t work for you.

- if you did purchase it you shouldn’t be sharing it publicly here (although, as said above - anyone who doesn’t have a license for it will be unable to use it). If it’s licensed to you and not working properly you should contact the author/creator on Helix Marketplace.

I’m not going to try to do anything with it unless you confirm that the identical name is a coincidence, and that this is not a licensed preset.

2 hours ago, boynigel said:

My LT has locked up/froze several times now while trying to get to a certain preset.  The only fix is to reboot and try again, but subsequent attempts yield the same result until I found a workaround.  Here are some details:

So far, it only seems to happen when I try accessing a certain preset.  If it matters, the preset I’m going to has a new 3.15 addition, the Tesselator.  In addition, this preset contains Shuffle Looper and some CPU-intensive effects like the Poly Capo.  Safe to say that this preset is on the brink of being “maxed out” in terms of CPU availability…if that could be part of the reason.  That said we ALL have some presets that are maxed, or near-maxed.

Here’s how it all goes down-  I’ll be on a given preset and then I’ll use the bank footswitches to get to the back that holds the preset in question.  When I tap the preset’s corresponding foot switch, nothing happens, and then it freezes up.  Doesn’t matter what footswitch or button I press, the screen is locked showing all of my presets in that particular bank.

Through trial and error, I’ve found that I can access the preset via the Preset wheel/knob, but there’s just something about using the foot switches that it’s not liking.  Sometimes it lets me, but most of the time it doesn’t.  I know it isn’t the footswitch (that corresponds to the preset) itself, because the switch gives me no issues within other banks.

FWIW, this isn’t a case where I had just updated to 3.15, created the new preset, and then all of this started happening.  I updated weeks ago, and created the preset within a few days later, so there’s that. 

If you could email the problematic preset to me at jdomine@line6.com or attach it here I'd like to test this out. 

7 minutes ago, jdomine said:

If you could email the problematic preset to me at jdomine@line6.com or attach it here I'd like to test this out. 

Will try to do that tonight when i get home from work.  Anything specific that i need to know as to how to pull the file from Edit to send to you?  never done it before.  Is it as simple as dragging it to my desk top?  i never use Edit because it won't run on my mac's older OS which i don't want to update for a bunch of reasons.  As such, when i DO run Edit, it is solely for updates which i do on my son's windows PC.

FWIW i did submit a support ticket a couple hours ago.  thanks

21 hours ago, boynigel said:

Through trial and error, I’ve found that I can access the preset via the Preset wheel/knob, but there’s just something about using the foot switches that it’s not liking. 

IMO... ^^^ this ^^^ is what makes it a possible bug. 

A single preset freezing the Helix is most often just a corrupt preset... but it would freeze regardless of how you loaded it. That problem is often fixed by simply rebuilding the preset from scratch - or loading a known good backup. 

21 hours ago, boynigel said:

If it matters, the preset I’m going to has a new 3.15 addition, the Tesselator.  In addition, this preset contains Shuffle Looper and some CPU-intensive effects like the Poly Capo. 

In your troubleshooting...

• Did you try removing blocks from this preset to see if there is ONE BLOCK in particular causing the problem? This requires saving multiple copies of the preset with a single block "removed"... not just turned off. 
  • Did you try rebuilding the preset from scratch to see if the problem re-appears? IF the preset is corrupt, this often fixes it. 
  • When you load the preset from the wheel/knob it is always loading from the "previous or latter" preset. Are those the same presets you are approaching from using the footswitch, or do you always load from a "particular" preset. My point here is... maybe it isn't the preset you are loading that causes the problem, maybe it's the preset that is unloading. 
  • Example: If the questionable preset is in 2B...
    • 2A > 2B works    (this is how a jog wheel would get there)

• 2C > 2B works   (this is also how a job wheel would get there)

• If 2D > 2B fails.... then 2D "could" be the preset that is causing you grief

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, boynigel said:

Twin STRAT Tess.hlx  attached here.  thanks

fyi....I am not seeing any issue with this preset loaded into my Helix Rack. Everything seems to be behaving normally here. All footswitches working as expected when switching to/from this preset, and no device crash.

Update: The problem appeared when I tried to delete this preset after playing around with it. No problems while testing it, but I decided I didn't want to keep it on my device so I tired pasting a New Preset in its place. That's when HX Edit generated an error message. At that point both HX Edit and the Helix Rack became unresponsive.

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

IMO... ^^^ this ^^^ is what makes it a possible bug. 

A single preset freezing the Helix is most often just a corrupt preset... but it would freeze regardless of how you loaded it. That problem is often fixed by simply rebuilding the preset from scratch - or loading a known good backup. 

In your troubleshooting...

• Did you try removing blocks from this preset to see if there is ONE BLOCK in particular causing the problem? This requires saving multiple copies of the preset with a single block "removed"... not just turned off. 
  • Did you try rebuilding the preset from scratch to see if the problem re-appears? IF the preset is corrupt, this often fixes it. 
  • When you load the preset from the wheel/knob it is always loading from the "previous or latter" preset. Are those the same presets you are approaching from using the footswitch, or do you always load from a "particular" preset. My point here is... maybe it isn't the preset you are loading that causes the problem, maybe it's the preset that is unloading. 
  • Example: If the questionable preset is in 2B...
    • 2A > 2B works    (this is how a jog wheel would get there)

• 2C > 2B works   (this is also how a job wheel would get there)

• If 2D > 2B fails.... then 2D "could" be the preset that is causing you grief

All good ideas.  i'd already considered the possibility of one of your suggestions regarding which preset i was coming from, as the problem originally presented when i was going from a preset in Bank 1, to the preset in question in Bank 12.  It was occurring while going from both 1B & 1C > 12C, so it seems to be bank specific if that can be such a thing.  I fired it up last night and couldn't get the problem to present, but that doesn't mean it won't happen tonight.  Will keep poking the hive while i await tech support's take on the ticket that i created for this.

2 hours ago, silverhead said:

fyi....I am not seeing any issue with this preset loaded into my Helix Rack. Everything seems to be behaving normally here. All footswitches working as expected when switching to/from this preset, and no device crash.

Update: The problem appeared when I tried to delete this preset after playing around with it. No problems while testing it, but I decided I didn't want to keep it on my device so I tired pasting a New Preset in its place. That's when HX Edit generated an error message. At that point both HX Edit and the Helix Rack became unresponsive.

Steve Urkle voice- "Did i do thaaaat???"  Point worth mentioning that i just thought of- this all started shortly after i made an edit to this preset, which was this- i moved the poly capo after the Shuffle Looper and Tesselator and assigned the onboard expression pedal (merge mix) to allow bypassing of my "live" signal so that it wouldn't get pitch shifted w/the loop playback when i engaged the poly capo...if that makes sense.

I expect @jdomine and the Line 6 development team will be able to use your preset to track down the bug. And I think it is a bug because, no matter what you do during preset editing, you should not be able to produce a corrupt preset which this one clearly is.

37 minutes ago, silverhead said:

I expect @jdomine and the Line 6 development team will be able to use your preset to track down the bug. And I think it is a bug because, no matter what you do during preset editing, you should not be able to produce a corrupt preset which this one clearly is.

Yes.  He offered a fix for me to try, but i won't be able to until tomorrow.  This was his response:

After testing around this it seems to be some sort of issue with the FX Loop block you have on path 1. It appears to have corrupted the preset in some manner. Please try the following and see if it resolves the issue for you: 
  1. Remove/clear FX Loop 1/2 block on path 1
  2. Save the preset 
  3. Add a new FX Loop 1/2 in the same location it was originally on path 1.
  4. Save the preset again. 
  5. Turn the unit off and back on.
After doing these steps the preset is now loading from the footswitch, HX Edit or the preset knob with no issues for me.