Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Volume Knob setting

lespool79

I've seen a few videos suggest maxing out the volume knob so it doesn't get moved around and mess up your volume.

But then suppose all your presets are too much for the PA?  I was thinking keep it at 12 o'clock that way if something stupid happens and the sound guy says its too much I could dial it all down a little or take it up more if need be?

Am I missing something?

Setting the main output volume at a high level provides a good signal-to-noise (SNR) ratio, delivering a strong clear signal to the receiving device. By that reasoning the best signal is achieved by maxing out the volume knob. But like you, I like to leave some in reserve. I tend to keep the knob at about 3 o’clock for a good compromise. Still a good strong and clean signal.

You need to keep your main output volume level in mind when balancing your preset volumes. You shouldn’t put yourself in a situation where you have to adjust the main knob very often.

On 3/12/2022 at 6:50 PM, lespool79 said:

I was thinking keep it at 12 o'clock that way if something stupid happens and the sound guy says its too much I could dial it all down a little or take it up more if need be?

FYI... the sound guy has trim controls and pads he can work with....

For that reason, I decouple the signal I send to the FOH from the volume control.... he gets full control of my levels regardless of what I do with the volume control (which is assigned to my FRFR)

If there is a reason the tech needs me to lower my signal (haven't had that happens in years) I assign my global EQ to that output and just lower the level there. I'm not using it to EQ anything, just decrease the level. 

• Upvote 4

I always keep my volume knob at noon, half way.  It sounds perfectly fine that way and noon is much easier to judge at a glance than wide open all the way up, which is an angle.  You look at it and it looks okay but in truth, it could be all the way up but it could also be a little ways down and your wouldn't be able to tell at a glance without actually bending over and touching it.  Noon you can plainly see in an instant.  There are zero problems with signal to noise ratio.  I don't want to be wondering if I need to make adjustments to a preset because the volume seems wrong.  I want to be able to look down and immediately know.  

I think I've been setting my volume knob at full volume for at least the last 6 years or so by disengaging it from my XLR output and setting my XLR output to Mic level in global settings on my Helix.  I control my volume levels so it's consistent across all presets and snapshots by adjusting the channel volume of the amp or the output block in my presets.  The soundman sets the appropriate level he wants from my Helix for mixing with all the other instruments and the last thing in the world he should ever want or ask for is for me to send more volume.  He's completely in charge of that at the mixing board using the trim or gain knob on my PA channel.  Any change on my part will throw off his mix with the other instruments.  That's what gain staging is all about at sound check time and is how all PA's work.  All I ever need from him is how I need him to adjust my levels and the band mix in my monitor.  It's all very simple and there's no need to complicate it.

• Like 1

I think having a volume knob on the Helix is counterproductive. Mine is assigned to only control the 1/4" out but since there are settings for instrument/line level I don't actually ever move the knob. Seems to me like the volume knob just encourages bad habits (turning monitoring volume up after sound check, not properly volume balancing presets, etc.).

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2022 at 12:35 PM, jonandtice said:

I think having a volume knob on the Helix is counterproductive. Mine is assigned to only control the 1/4" out but since there are settings for instrument/line level I don't actually ever move the knob. Seems to me like the volume knob just encourages bad habits (turning monitoring volume up after sound check, not properly volume balancing presets, etc.).

Although I have to technically agree with everything you said I still have to take into consideration the range of setups people use their Helix for.  I honestly can't remember the last time I even looked at my Helix volume knob because it's position is inconsequential to me since I go direct to the mixing board via XLR and depend on my floor monitor for my stage mix.  But not everyone has, or even wants, that kind of luxury.  I can see certain situations where I might be playing with a less than desirable PA system and I might want to augment their speakers with one of my own from on stage.  Certainly there are plenty of solo and duo acts that still depend a lot on the Helix volume knob for dialing in their performances.  I would hope that by the time someone is playing in a more sophisticated live environment they already know the ins and outs of how to gain stage their Helix consistently to work with a decent house PA.

• Like 2