Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Did I damage my HX Effects by using my PX-2g power suply?

voodoochili12

I was at a rehearsal and forgot my HX Effects DC-3 wall wart.

I had my old M9's PX-2g power supply with me, and used that instead. The HX Effects turned on and seemed to be functioning normally for a few minutes, but then it started resetting every ~10 seconds when I used the expression pedal.

About 10 years ago, my M9 crapped out on me because of power supply issues, and I just want to be sure I didn't do irreparable damage to my HX Effects.

Thanks!

The PX-2g is 9V AC, and the HX Effects uses 9V DC. There may be a rectifier at the HX Effects’ power input jack as a safety measure, but using 9V AC could result in an undervoltage. It’s probably not damaged, but it’s generally not good to just hook up power supplies you don’t will work.

On 3/24/2022 at 3:34 AM, phil_m said:

The PX-2g is 9V AC, and the HX Effects uses 9V DC. There may be a rectifier at the HX Effects’ power input jack as a safety measure, but using 9V AC could result in an undervoltage. It’s probably not damaged, but it’s generally not good to just hook up power supplies you don’t will work.

It's more likely to have a reverse polarity protection diode than a rectifier so it would have been running on low voltage so you probably got away with it.

A friend did a similar thing with a Kurzweil piano and that did a lot of damage because it didn't have the protection diode, it does now!

Craig 

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2022 at 3:44 AM, CraigGT said:

It's more likely to have a reverse polarity protection diode than a rectifier so it would have been running on low voltage so you probably got away with it.

A friend did a similar thing with a Kurzweil piano and that did a lot of damage because it didn't have the protection diode, it does now!

Craig 

Good point… I do remember Frank from Line 6 saying they had that reverse polarity protection now that I think about it.