Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bass player - Q's about using multiple instruments

fluoridevolcano

I currently use a simple A/B switcher to swap inputs between my Kiesel ZBM6 (18v active pre) and NS Design WAV4 (passive piezo, running through an external 18V Aguilar pre). Even with the preamp for the upright cranked up all the way, the Kiesel pre is much louder.

Is it possible to process the two inputs on the HX Stomp XL independently? Will I be able to match the levels and dynamics between the two instruments? Whether or not that's toggling the active input or certain patches only process one or the other input. 

Also, how does the onboard tuner fare with a low B string?

Thank you.

On 4/11/2022 at 10:59 AM, fluoridevolcano said:

….

Is it possible to process the two inputs on the HX Stomp XL independently? ….

No. The HX stomp is a single-input processor. You can have parallel paths splitting the single input, but not dual paths with separate inputs.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, silverhead said:

No. The HX stomp is a single-input processor. You can have parallel paths splitting the single input, but not dual paths with separate inputs.

IIRC, the Stomp has LEFT/RIGHT inputs (not a single input) and a SPLIT at the very front of the chain has the ability send each input down a separate path, which can be merged later at any point. 

The OP could balance the level using a GAIN block at the front of one path. One GAIN block should cover it.... it could either lower the level of the loud instrument, or raise the level of the quiet instrument. 

Here's a screenshot of how I might attempt to set this up... it's done in Helix Native, using Stomp compatibility mode. 

The image shows the gain block on the lower level, and the SPLIT is highlighted to show how I would separate the inputs. I don't have a Stomp to confirm it works, but I used to do this with my HX Effects when I owned one. 

stomp-input.jpg.1ce4a00bf0480590596df8da8f4fb857.jpg

You could probably use a Single Input and a SPLIT A/B to accomplish this as well. Just assign a button to VALUE of the Split A/B to change the path the input gets directed. 

• Upvote 1

I use a Source Audio EQ2 first in the chain to calibrate by guitars for the HX input. My main problem is my old Steinbergers (and active EMG generally). The pad on the HX is a bit too much and pad out is a bit too hot...I needed something adjustable so I can get right below the safety limiter on the codec converter. It is midi controllable with 128 presets. It is also dual. I use the second eq to sculpt for the C4 Synth or Synths on the HX. Just not enough horsepower in the HX for what I needed.