Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Way to use a unique voice presets into all other presets?

regis76

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new in the Helix ecosystem and I have tons of tips to learn, but in order to go in the right direction and setup my Helix properly, I have a question for which I didn't find answers for now. 

I would like to setup a Mic preset and be able to use it in all my other guitar presets.

Meaning the goal is to have 1 mic preset and many guitar presets and snapshots including this mic preset.

If I create it as a template, I can easily integrate it in all new presets - but if I need to make a change in the mic preset (IQ settings or reverb for instance), then I will need to replicate this change in all existing presets...

Is there a way to do this??

Thanks a lot
Regis

You would need to incorporate your mic into every guitar preset. 

I recommend leaving mic and guitar outputs separate. E.g. run the mic out into Return 1 while guitar comes out of XLR / 1/4”. That way you can still adjust the relative balance between guitar and vocals. 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:03 AM, regis76 said:

If I create it as a template, I can easily integrate it in all new presets - but if I need to make a change in the mic preset (IQ settings or reverb for instance), then I will need to replicate this change in all existing presets...

Is there a way to do this??

Hi,

Short answer - No.

As you have already realised, you can create a template, (IIRC, there is one in the Helix featuring guitar and vocal), but if you use it to produce several other presets, you cannot change any of the blocks to automatically change across all the others. 

I accept that some users may think that the ability to change multiple blocks simultaneously, across lots of presets, may seem a good idea. It could also be a complete disaster waiting to happen. Create a template and then create your duplicate presets from that, and then make changes locally to each individually preset.

You could make a change to a reverb block, then copy and paste that into another preset, then repeat for the other blocks that are changed. There is currently no way to select an entire path of blocks and paste them into another preset, but the idea has been suggested many times. In fact, here is someone with a similar situation as yours - see this link, and if you like it vote for the idea from the links supplied in the thread.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to both of you.

So (unfortunately), I didn't miss anything and I will manage it manually.

2 ways to improve that:

- this "copy all blocks" functionality

- or also ability to put not only a block in favorites but also a set of blocks, that would be cool :)
   -> Maybe another idea to push :)

Thanks again for your help

On 8/4/2022 at 8:53 AM, regis76 said:

2 ways to improve that:

- this "copy all blocks" functionality

- or also ability to put not only a block in favorites but also a set of blocks, that would be cool :)
   -> Maybe another idea to push :)

Hi,

Well, as noted by Digital Igloo, Eric Klein
Chief Product Design Architect at Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc. / Line 6 / Ampeg, in his comment (in the thread which I posted above) - the copy all blocks function already exists, it is called “Save As”. Now give it a new name, but that will be an exact duplicate of the preset, which - yes - is a copy of all the blocks. You are asking for the option to select and copy a single path - that is different and currently not available.

If you have an “idea to push”, then this is definitely not the place to pitch the idea.

There are no Line staff here and only very occasionally do they visit these forums - See the “sticky comment” in the black banner stripe at the top of this page entitled “Welcome to the Line 6 forums”

This link is where you need to go to have any hope of your idea been seen by anyone from Line 6:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Before posting any new ideas, please do a search to see if it's already been listed (it probably has). Multiple requests for the same thing will dilute the votes. Also, post your ideas one at a time. Many users don’t vote for combined suggestions.

You should use this thread below to let other users know what your suggestions are, with links to IdeaScale, so they can vote on it if they wish.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Personally I'm not sure Line6 added the Mic input with the idea of it being used live as much as a way to easily have the Helix operate as a full-fledged audio interface for recording.  I have two Helix floor units, one in the studio and one for live performances.  In over 7 years I've never used the Mic input for live..I just go to the mixer like everything else on stage, but I constantly use it in the studio.  But in the studio I'm using it as I would any normal audio interface and adding effects, EQ, compression etc in the DAW.  Although I can appreciate a solo act with just guitar and vocals using the Mic input live, for anything more than that you're adding a lot of complexity to a simple process where a mixer is really the perfect tool.

My first Line 6 product was the POD X3 Live. It was a dual tone/path processor and had a really handy feature called Lock Tone 2. You could change presets for different guitar tones while keeping the vocal tone unchanged. It was perfect for a singer/guitarist. Unfortunately it was dropped in the Pod HD series, never to return - at least not yet. I still miss it.