Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Compressor as an amp boost for leads?

themetallikid

At some point when I had my axe fx years ago, someone had posted compressor settings to use in front of an amp as a 'clean' boost in a way.  I loved the tone, and how it pushed the amp.  

I have limited but beginner level competency of compressors....so I'm not sure how to approach settings to achieve this again for experimenting.  

Any Suggestions?

On 8/13/2022 at 10:59 AM, themetallikid said:

At some point when I had my axe fx years ago, someone had posted compressor settings to use in front of an amp as a 'clean' boost in a way.  I loved the tone, and how it pushed the amp.  

I have limited but beginner level competency of compressors....so I'm not sure how to approach settings to achieve this again for experimenting.  

Any Suggestions?

You can get a nice sustain-y sound with a compressor, so yes, that's a good idea if you want your notes to be long.  Like think "All Along The Watchtower" Hendrix lead sound--that to me sounds like an guitar + compressor + amp.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, themetallikid said:

compressor settings to use in front of an amp as a 'clean' boost in a way

Yeah, that's what I'm also doing on my Stomp.

Also, as a side effect, to compensate for the loudness difference of my Les Paul that has a 6-way switch for parallel/serial humbucker wiring.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, themetallikid said:

I would start with the "easy" compressor models that have only very few parameters: Red Squeeze, Kinky, LA Studio, Ampeg, or some of the "legacy" compressors.

Then, just use whatever sounds good to you. 

Keep in mind that you may need to fine adjust some of the parameters while playing with a band, as opposed to when you play alone.

Avoid the Deluxe or Rochester comps for the time being; they are very powerful but also complex. You really need to know what you're doing to get a specific sound.

In fact, at first I actually used the Deluxe for quite some time, but eventually switched to the new Ampeg compressor which sounds just right to me with much less parameters to fiddle about.

Also, the amp block that follows, matters as well. For me it's the Ventoux which nicely combines some characteristics from some of my other favorites like the Small Tweed and the Mandarine 80.

On 8/14/2022 at 12:49 AM, lou-kash said:

the new Ampeg compressor which sounds just right to me with much less parameters to fiddle about.

Forgot to note that my compressor block is active all the time, but I have assigned some of its parameters to a footswitch for the actual boost.

Also, to keep some of the original pick attack permanently intact, don't set the Mix parameter to 100%.

So, on my latest "favorite preset", the Ampeg is:

• Comp: 2.2 / 3.0
  • Release: 1.2 / 3.0
  • Mix: 90%
  • Level: 6.0 / 8.0

… while the Ventoux's Drive parameter is only 2.0 for clean sound, with Master at 10.0 though.

Hi
You are most likely more experience than me on this but here is how I do it
On Clean I often use the LA Studio as a boost and/or “characterizer” … Its fairly simple to use and give great flexibility.

• Peak Reduction – Set when compression start to set in and the amount of compression. I start at abt 5 and try to get a feel for it. Default is abt 7.5 and I think that’s a to high startingpoint 
  • Gain – “Unity” is about 4.2 (meaning that if Level is at 0 db and Peak Reduction is at about 5 you do not hear a shift in sound turning on/off) and its from there I start. Default is higher and for me to much as starting point.
  • Level – Set your level… I start at 0 db and compensate depending what I’m after and depending on how Peak Reduction/Gain is set.  
  • The rest, I normally don’t touch.

The Gain is nice as it warms the sound a bit, so if you need/want to increase/decrease output level use the Level. Same thing with Threshold, adjust to taste and compensate with Level and/or Gain.
If you want to have different adjustments of your boost in the preset, program a footswitch or snapshot. Remember that adding boost before the amp can make the amp itself start compressing, different to different amps.
If I use boost on amps with more gain/breakup/dist I might use above, but more likely a boost/od/dist pedal depending on what I want. Or using an EQ/output block in the end of the signal chain. If I use a compressor here is's more for character and sustain.  

Here is some info I used to get hang on this subject, both compression and how to handle boost

As an alternative to LA Studio Comp I have started to dig in to Ampeg Opto Comp with some success. That could be an alternative. I may also admit that with the other compressors I have had a bit of a struggle. Found some presets with Deluxe Comp from which I have stolen the settings… Most often the compression is set too high, like 10:1. I start at 2:1 and I rarely go above 4:1… Tube Comp and Red Squeeze has been OK too in som cases. But I guess Ampeg Opto Comp will be my go-to compressor for now and   LA Studio will still sit in the end of my signal chain.
I should add that I’m in the blues/rock territory, it doesn’t need to be that complicated :-) 

Hope it may add something to your question…

EDIT:  Found the yt video from Jason Sadites abt using LA Studio Comp as a boost - https://youtu.be/Q7uNgu7K14Y. Very similar to how I us it but for me personal I don’t use the high values of compression. I dial in Gain and Level to a nice boost/drive and add comp for some sustain. Trim Level if needed. 
//Per

Edited by PerS
Found video...
  • Like 1

I with PerS, I always use the LA Studio Comp. This before a distortion/OD/Amp can be magical to my ears.

The LA adds some character you may not want. In that case I go Red Squeeze, because the MXR Dyna Comp was one of the first pedals I ever owned in RL and it only has basically one knob to adjust :)