Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ETA on Helix update?

boynigel

On 9/19/2022 at 6:08 AM, codamedia said:

A lot of power amps are still relatively neutral... while others are not and most power amps impart very little color until they are pushed hard. Trying both options to see what you like best is never a bad idea... at times it can lead to some unique results. 

A good example is sag. The physical power amp might not have any significant amount, but the power amp in the Helix might.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2022 at 5:18 PM, brue58ski said:

RE Update. I just found out they are not in beta testing yet. I now change my GUESStimate to be end of November to end of December. BIG guess since beta testing hasn't even started. Sigh.

That is a bit disappointing to hear. I was hoping for that by early next year but oh well. How long does it normally take them to produce an update, they seem to have been fairly regular in the past but I suppose this next one is quite a big one.

On 9/29/2022 at 5:16 AM, Paulzx said:

That is a bit disappointing to hear. I was hoping for that by early next year but oh well. How long does it normally take them to produce an update, they seem to have been fairly regular in the past but I suppose this next one is quite a big one.

Yes this is a big one. They actually released some of it early (the last update). First I would say there is no normal. So having said that, it seems to take about 1 month usually after it goes into beta testing. In case you didn't know, this is when they use actual regular Helix users to run it through the gauntlet so to speak. It is not in beta testing yet. They are done programming and now Line 6 is testing it. After they are done it goes into beta testing. The 1 month time is a huge estimate. You just don't know since you don't know what will happen. That's why it's a big guess. You never know what bugs may come up. Maybe we'll get lucky and everything will have been done perfectly the first time. Based on my ability to be perfect, I would say that's not likely.

• Upvote 2

Since my both of my Helix units are used in production live or studio environments I'd prefer a longer wait with a better chance of stability.  For me updates are a MAJOR pain because the thought of rolling back an update is a nightmare for me.  That's why I'm usually content to wait a couple of months once it's released before I wade into the waters of an update.

• Like 1

I think the Helix is such an amazing piece of kit already that I am perfectly content to sit back and wait patiently for the next update. That is not to say that I don't always look forward to new features and seeing any existing bugs squashed. However, this thing has served me so well for so many years and so many gigs that I have a profound appreciation for it in its current state. What a phenomenal job the folks at Line6 have done and continue to do! They have shown some true vision and creativity over the years. The UI represents a standard of excellence and exemplifies ease of use. Picking up the Helix still remains one of the smartest equipment purchases I ever had the good fortune to make.

• Upvote 5

On 9/30/2022 at 1:36 AM, HonestOpinion said:

I think the Helix is such an amazing piece of kit already that I am perfectly content to sit back and wait patiently for the next update. That is not to say that I don't always look forward to new features and seeing any existing bugs squashed. However, this thing has served me so well for so many years and so many gigs that I have a profound appreciation for it in its current state. What a phenomenal job the folks at Line6 have done and continue to do! They have shown some true vision and creativity over the years. The UI represents a standard of excellence and exemplifies ease of use. Purchasing the Helix still remains one of the smartest equipment purchases I ever had the good fortune to make.

Same place really. Helix went on to model every thing I ever craved. They hit my final wish list with the King of Tone and that was over two years ago now, and then knocked it out of the park with the pitch shifting/freeze options. Only thing left untouched is a Freqout pedal which was never high on the list in the first place. 

I admit to being a LITTLE anxious about this release just because Eric Klein indicated it was a mind blowing update. Because I can't imagine WTF would actually blow my mind at this point I'm hyped in a weird way . . . but if tomorrow they said, "Sorry fellas, we were trying to activate a digital air fryer but had to give up due to hardware limitations. We're done. We hate our jobs. No more updates." 

I honestly wouldn't be broken up about it. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/30/2022 at 2:36 AM, HonestOpinion said:

However, this thing has served me so well for so many years and so many gigs that I have a profound appreciation for it in its current state.

I understand where you're coming from. Look at how many amps and effects have stood the test of time. It's ironic that some people want Helix to model amps and effects that haven't changed in decades, yet are dissatisfied with Helix's "progress."

It's good to remember all that matters is the emotional impact on the audience, and that's up to the player, not the gear. No one ever came up to me after a concert and said "Wow, loved the sound of that multi-core chip!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2