Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FR: Different Parameter Layout for HX Stomp (and XL)

SaschaFranck

For me, one of THE shortcomings of on-unit editing with the HX stomp would be that the parameters aren't listed in a manner making much sense, given there's only ever 3 parameters visible (and editable) at once.

Examples:

In case I want to tweak an amp model quickly, the two single most relevant parameters would be Drive and Channel Volume. These two are very strongly connected to each other (raising Drive often requires lowering Channel Volume and vice versa), but they're on two pages.

Same goes for overdrive/distortion blocks. As soon as the unit offers more than 3 parameters, Level is found on the second page.

And it also goes for all reverbs and delays. The two single most relevant (and again related) parameters for a delay would be feedback and mix, for a reverb it'd be decay and mix. And they're always on two different pages.

All this is resulting in an almost endless clickfest - when it could be so easy in case those parameters would be on the same page.

Look at how Zoom is doing things on, say, their MS-50G units. There's also 3 knobs only, but the most important parameters are always on page 1. Excellent.

-----

If you think this could be a great improvement (IMO it'd be tremendous), vote it up on Ideascale.

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/1053987

• Like 1

I'll do you one better, since what you think are the most relevant parameters might not be everybody's most relevant parameters - customizable parameter layout. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't currently an operation associated with HOLDING the "ACTION" button. Maybe holding the ACTION button let's us move parameters around. "Press Knob 1-6 to select parameter", then "Press PAGE <>, Knob 1-6 to place parameter". Would that work? 

On 11/5/2022 at 8:31 PM, zappazapper said:

I'll do you one better, since what you think are the most relevant parameters might not be everybody's most relevant parameters - customizable parameter layout.

I'd be all for that. But Line 6 very likely isn't (it's just not the way things work in their view of the HX-verse). So I thought it'd be a better idea to ask for some smaller progress. Kinda like the idealized parameter view on Fractal products.

On 11/5/2022 at 6:51 PM, SaschaFranck said:

I'd be all for that. But Line 6 very likely isn't (it's just not the way things work in their view of the HX-verse). So I thought it'd be a better idea to ask for some smaller progress. Kinda like the idealized parameter view on Fractal products.

That's fair. I just figure that anything control/config-related (ie. anything not having to do with new amps, new cabs, new fx) is going to take longer than anything else anyway, regardless of how "simple" it is. We might as well express what we REALLY want, so that if/when they decide it's something they want to address, they have some direction.

Anyway, it's rare that I edit presets on-device anymore anyway, and it's not because the order of the parameters. HX Edit is just inherently easier to use, and I don't think anything can bridge that gap. Especially since I figured out that I can get rid of the noise I get when connected to my laptop via USB if I put a DI box in between the Send and my amp's input and lift the ground. There's just no reason to bend down when everything is basically a mouse click away.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:00 AM, zappazapper said:

Anyway, it's rare that I edit presets on-device anymore anyway, and it's not because the order of the parameters. HX Edit is just inherently easier to use, and I don't think anything can bridge that gap.

Quite obviously, editing with HX Edit is incredibly more comfortable, but as I'm mainly a live player, I often need to do some corrections on the unit itself, because I can't be bothered to bring a laptop with me all the time. And I just wish that those corrections could be done quicker. With the Floor it was more or less fine because I had all relevant things mapped to switches and there's been 6 parameters permanently exposed, the most relevant usually being among those first 6, but as I scaled down to a Stomp, things are now quite different, it simply isn't as easy to edit on itself as it could be.

• Upvote 1

Again, we'd really benefit of a "performance mode", which does put the block select rotary encoder in sleeping, and making the 3 encoders under the screen, assignable for 3 params adjustment on the fly. This means you'd have 3 FS, and 3 Knobs, assigned to what you want for live performance.

In your scenario, you could assign R1 to Amp Drive, R2 to Channel Volume, and R3 to Distortion Level. Of course this page would need a dedicated GUI.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2022 at 7:59 PM, PierM said:

Again, we'd really benefit of a "performance mode", which does put the block select rotary encoder in sleeping, and making the 3 encoders under the screen, assignable for 3 params adjustment on the fly. This means you'd have 3 FS, and 3 Knobs, assigned to what you want for live performance.

Yes please. Ideally, you'd have multiple pages. That way you could, say, adjust all your drive and overall levels on page 1 whereas page 2 might have delay feedback and mix plus reverb mix. Or whatever.

Fwiw, Boss does it pretty much like that already (minus the page thing), since ages even.

But then, I really doubt anything like that will ever happen. Maybe with the next hardware iteration.

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, SaschaFranck said:

Fwiw, Boss does it pretty much like that already (minus the page thing), since ages even.

Even the Ampero Stomp II does it, and to me it makes A LOT of sense.

7-B79-F155-F0-B5-44-B1-9-D66-549-B4-E011

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 8:24 PM, PierM said:

Even the Ampero Stomp II does it, and to me it makes A LOT of sense.

Of course. It always made a lot of sense. Even with just the 4 knobs of the GT-10, I got quite some extra mileage out of that functionality back then.