Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Will there be more NEW cabs?

ChaserHUN

The 3.50 update is really amazing. I've always felt the weak point of the helix were the cab/mic simulations, but the new cab engine sounds amazing, I've switched out most of my IRs. 

As someone who plays bass in band I was a bit bumped out though that they didn't redo the MEsa Boogie Powerhouse 610 with the new cab engine :( I use an IR still fro that but really hoped I could get an evern better sound.

Does anyone know if they will redo this cab or will there be new cabs in future updates?

On 12/10/2022 at 9:09 AM, ChaserHUN said:

Does anyone know if they will redo this cab or will there be new cabs in future updates?

Yes, Line 6 knows. But they don't say anything about new features or models in advance of any release. It's reasonable to expect that we will see some cabs updated to the new engine over time. Which ones, and when? We'll have to wait and see.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

There was one New Cab found in the 3.50 Pilot's Guide which was not in the actual 3.50 firmware. This is likely a good indication that there will be more New Cabs coming.

This past Friday, Eric Klein posted to the TheGearPage.net Forums: "More bass stuff is coming." 

The Line 6 Firmware Downloads Page reveals that firmware 3.50 is about 26MB. This is about 5x the size of Pre-3.50 firmware, which was about 5MB for the past several versions. It was about 4MB before that, and the original firmware 1.06.5 was about 3MB. How much more firmware storage capacity there exists in the Helix Family and HX Family hardware units and how they'll choose to best effectively manage the capacity is known only to Line 6. 

On 12/11/2022 at 7:05 PM, Gillespie1983 said:

With all those IRs associated with the new 3.50 cabs (1 IR per cab, per mic, distance from center,  distance from cabinet choice, 2 mic angles) the Helix must have some serious data storage capacity.  How much spare storage room is left on the Helix for more cabinets?

If you follow the Facebook page, Igor (a L6 employee) has stated multiple times including this year that there is plenty of space for more models of all types. 

While IRs are probably some of the more space intensive things they could put on there, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few more. My guess is that when they finally quit updating Helix it will be for reasons not related to space. 

Still, as @silverhead and @MusicLaw both pointed out, only Line 6 knows for sure. I'm just making my best educated guess. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, Kilrahi said:

If you follow the Facebook page, Igor (a L6 employee) has stated multiple times including this year that there is plenty of space for more models of all types. 

<Snip>

Thanks for posting Igor's input (as I do not venture to FB).