Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Identical PowerCab 112 +'s sound 'different'...

littlespaceman

Curious to know if anyone else has experienced this; I have just picked up a (second hand) PC 112+ to go with one I bought new some years ago, to run as a stereo rig. To my surprise, the second hand one (although it's used it's in excellent condition) sound slightly 'different' to my original one; it doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound quite as good; a bit more treble-y, and not quite as full sounding. It's a subtle difference but I noticed it enough to check the settings carefully; I'm using both in Flat mode, and as far as I can see the settings are identical. Also both are running the latest firmware (v2.something as far as I can recall)

Any thoughts, anyone?

I don’t think that’s unusual, at least not in the purely analog world. Sometimes two different units of the exact same tube amp make/model sound different. In the PowerCab units there are at least subtle physical differences in the materials and resonance of the cab and speaker even though their specs are the same.

I know that in some cases Line 6 compares specific instances of a particular tube amp make/model/year to select the ‘best’ one as the basis for modeling.

this may be completely off base, but R2DR2 (or something like that, sorry) has posted about a problem with the treble/tweeter something not working correctly in some cases.  Maybe the treble trim?  You could do a search for that or just look in the Power Cab section.  He talks about it a lot.

Maybe that is it or maybe that was only for the PC212+....sorry to be so vague!

And I'm sure you have tried each PC by themselves without being hooked to each other?  are you connecting them with the l6link? 

Good luck finding it.  Please post what you find! 

On 12/28/2022 at 5:35 PM, PaulTBaker said:

this may be completely off base, but R2DR2 (or something like that, sorry) has posted about a problem with the treble/tweeter something not working correctly in some cases.  Maybe the treble trim?  You could do a search for that or just look in the Power Cab section.  He talks about it a lot.

Maybe that is it or maybe that was only for the PC212+....sorry to be so vague!

And I'm sure you have tried each PC by themselves without being hooked to each other?  are you connecting them with the l6link? 

Good luck finding it.  Please post what you find! 

I'm actually using them with a Quad Cortex (shhh, might get in to trouble here!) so no L6 Link... But thanks for the info about R2D2's post, I'll look for it...

It's odd but not impossible. That's why you have the option to buy matched studio monitors, which means the two units are identical and produced in the same batch.

Said that, could be they got a very different use (and a different speaker breakup during the first period of life of the speakers, might be the cause of a slightly different timbre or response).