Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Gain Reduction block??

Aged_Cheddar

OK, I have a question, but let me start with the obvious....Yes, I'm aware the Helix LT has a expression pedal, and yes I'm aware my bass has a volume knob (2 actually).

So, the question...I've recently acquired a 5 string Jazz bass that I'll be using on 5-6 songs throughout a 3.5 hour set, where a low B is a must.

This bass is HOT, not so much that I'm clipping the Helix input, but it's certainly notably hotter than the matching pair of P-basses that are my main axes.

I LOVE how it sounds so I don't want to mod the pickups/pots back to stock so....

Usually I'm trying to BOOST something, I've never tried to drop the gain of an instrument.

So, I was thinking about using the "Low & High Cut" EQ, with both cuts left off, but lowering the level a few dB to get it close to my other basses, then put that right at the front of the chain, before anything else, then assign it a foot switch to hit whenever I grab that particular bass (I prefer to use my LT in stompbox mode)...I feel like this "should" pass the un-effected signal through, with just the dB being cut slightly.

I've never tried anything like this, and I'm not right in front of my Helix at the moment to try proof of concept so...

So, is this a complicated solution for a simple problem? Am I missing a simpler solution? Is there any reason my solution wouldn't work?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

The Input Block of each preset has a "pad" switch*, and this is its purpose. It can be set to Global, Preset or OFF, and can be toggled with a FS or SS.

*My Helix Floor does, as does my HXS, and I believe the LT does also. It's not listed in the manual, but IIRC was added around v3.10.

• Like 1

On guitar, I use a volume pedal fixed at 10% position.  It cleans up my sound.  Rather than turning my distortion off, I always clean up the sound with a physical or virtual volume knob/pedal instead. 

You can use the same approach:

1) add a volume pedal

2) make it fixed: select the "position" parameter.  It's pre-selected with Expression Pedal 2.  Set it to "none".

3) set the percentage to 10%

4) create a snapshot where this is enabled.  This will be your "HOT BASS" snapshot.

Alternatively, you can also use another input, like Return 1, 2, 3, 4... and set it to be of lower volume than your main input.  I created a little video you can follow:

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 7:04 PM, rd2rk said:

The Input Block of each preset has a "pad" switch*, and this is its purpose. It can be set to Global, Preset or OFF, and can be toggled with a FS or SS.

*My Helix Floor does, as does my HXS, and I believe the LT does also. It's not listed in the manual, but IIRC was added around v3.10.

I'll have to go look at this, it could be a really simple solution.

Thanks!

On 1/5/2023 at 7:12 PM, theElevators said:

On guitar, I use a volume pedal fixed at 10% position.  It cleans up my sound.  Rather than turning my distortion off, I always clean up the sound with a physical or virtual volume knob/pedal instead. 

You can use the same approach:

1) add a volume pedal

2) make it fixed: select the "position" parameter.  It's pre-selected with Expression Pedal 2.  Set it to "none".

3) set the percentage to 10%

4) create a snapshot where this is enabled.  This will be your "HOT BASS" snapshot.

Alternatively, you can also use another input, like Return 1, 2, 3, 4... and set it to be of lower volume than your main input.  I created a little video you can follow:

I like this solution as well, but I admittedly am not very versed on snapshots...I know they can REALLY open up the Helix (as though it wasn't awesome enough), but I've been a stompbox guy for SO long, it's hard to embrace such deep diving preset creation....I'll get there, with time.

The multi input option would be sweet, and the PERFECT fix, I could literally have two guitars plugged in & hot swap....but, I use both of my effects loops, so unless I'm missing something, I have no other input options. (Score one for the Helix floor...but it wasn't important enough for me to drop the extra $500)

On 1/5/2023 at 9:15 PM, Aged_Cheddar said:

I like this solution as well, but I admittedly am not very versed on snapshots...I know they can REALLY open up the Helix (as though it wasn't awesome enough), but I've been a stompbox guy for SO long, it's hard to embrace such deep diving preset creation....I'll get there, with time.

One way to ease into snapshots is to go to the global settings 'Footswitches' --> 'Preset Mode Switches' and set it to either "Snap/Stomp" or "Stomp/Snap". This will give you one row of switches for stomps and one for snaps, enabling you to keep working in the manner you are used to using stomps, but also have snapshots at your disposal. The ability to activate/bypass multiple blocks at one time as well as simultaneously change multiple block parameters is incredibly useful and cuts down on the amount of tap dancing required for more complex mid-song changes. If you find that you don't have enough stomp switches available in this switch layout you can always change back to all stomps.

If you want to go to the next level of customization on a per preset basis, you can use command center to, for example, just set up one or two switches for snapshots and leave the rest of your switches for stomps.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 11:53 PM, HonestOpinion said:

One way to ease into snapshots is to go to the global settings 'Footswitches' --> 'Preset Mode Switches' and set it to either "Snap/Stomp" or "Stomp/Snap". This will give you one row of switches for stomps and one for snaps, enabling you to keep working in the manner you are used to using stomps, but also have snapshots at your disposal. The ability to activate/bypass multiple blocks at one time as well as simultaneously change multiple block parameters is incredibly useful and cuts down on the amount of tap dancing required for more complex mid-song changes. If you find that you don't have enough stomp switches available in this switch layout you can always change back to all stomps.

If you want to go to the next level of customization on a per preset basis, you can use command center to, for example, just set up one or two switches for snapshots and leave the rest of your switches for stomps.

Yeah, I really need to look into snapshots more, I have looked at the global settings and thought about doing the Snap/Stomp setup...but honestly I need access to at least 6 of my 8 switches so that wouldn't work.

Now that command center option would be sweet, 6 stomps and a couple choice snaps per preset? Yeah, I could get behind that for sure.

Thanks!

On 1/6/2023 at 8:54 AM, Aged_Cheddar said:

Yeah, I really need to look into snapshots more, I have looked at the global settings and thought about doing the Snap/Stomp setup...but honestly I need access to at least 6 of my 8 switches so that wouldn't work.

Now that command center option would be sweet, 6 stomps and a couple choice snaps per preset? Yeah, I could get behind that for sure.

Thanks!

If you don't want to use snapshots for some reason, you can assign the block to a stomp button as well.  Press the button and you have reduced gain. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/6/2023 at 8:53 AM, theElevators said:

If you don't want to use snapshots for some reason, you can assign the block to a stomp button as well.  Press the button and you have reduced gain. 

Yeah, it’s not so much that I don’t want to use snapshots, it’s just I don’t really know how deep I want/need to go just yet…My journey with the Helix is just a couple months old, and I’m an old school stomp guy, so this is really overwhelming at times (in a good way).

I’ve just started diving into YT vids on snapshots, and it’s pretty amazing what they can do, I mean being able to control effects/amps etc…, and even individual parameters??? How cool is that??

I’m really just a bassist of simple needs…I want a good amp/cab block, 2-3 drives, a few modulation effects, and some specific routing needs. The Helix delivers in spades, and honestly has WAY more than I could ever hope to use, but I’d rather have too much, than come up short, especially since this will ultimately be doing double duty as my guitar board.

On 1/5/2023 at 6:36 PM, Aged_Cheddar said:

Usually I'm trying to BOOST something, I've never tried to drop the gain of an instrument.

So, I was thinking about using the "Low & High Cut" EQ, with both cuts left off, but lowering the level a few dB to get it close to my other basses, then put that right at the front of the chain, before anything else, then assign it a foot switch to hit whenever I grab that particular bass (I prefer to use my LT in stompbox mode)...I feel like this "should" pass the un-effected signal through, with just the dB being cut slightly.

I use the simple/basic little GAIN block at the front of every preset to manage input differences. It's very light on resources and adds no color to your tone. Unlike boost pedals, the gain block can also cut signals which is handy for those really loud instruments. No tone change, just volume.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:11 PM, codamedia said:

I use the simple/basic little GAIN block at the front of every preset to manage input differences. It's very light on resources and adds no color to your tone. Unlike boost pedals, the gain block can also cut signals which is handy for those really loud instruments. No tone change, just volume.  

How in the hell did I miss this when I was trying to sort this out.

A friggen gain block! Sweet!.

...I guess maybe I should have looked at the volume/Pan settings....Duh...

Thanks!

I simply add a 10 band EQ at the front of the chain right after the input block before anything else and then I assign it to a foot-switch (in snap/stomp mode) and the scribble strip says "Tele EQ".

My primary guitar has humbuckers.  When I switch to the Tele I just stomp the button to activate the block and it adds some volume and adjusts for any EQ differences I might want.  Then my presets receive a guitar signal at the beginning that is similar in strength and I don't have to twiddle with my snapshots or create new snapshots just for the Tele.  I can tailor the EQ to my taste.  If I want to keep the brightness of the Tele I can.  If I want to tame the high end I can.  On some of my presets I leave it sounding like a Tele and on others I cut some of the highs.

Easy peasy.  No bending over to unplug from one jack to plug into another jack.  Just plug in the new guitar, stomp the switch and play.